Can't get photorealism, please help

Forums: Can't get photorealism, please help
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Can't get photorealism, please help

Postby Kenji_Wong » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 am

Kenji_Wong Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 am
Hi Octane renders,

If anyone could help me cause I've tried every settings possible but still unable to get it to look photorealistic.
Below is one of my work. It doesn't look that bad but you can tell it is a rendered picture and doesn't look photorealistic as what I saw others have achieved.
I'm running on gtx i650, 8GB, intel core i7-4770 @ 3.40 ghz. DL-AO 1000 samples at 33mins.

[img]
test.jpg
[/img]

Thanks a million.
Kenji
Attachments
test.jpg
Kenji_Wong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can't get photorealism, please help

Postby MildMustard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 am

MildMustard Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 am
I think firstly DL-AO is the least realistic kernel for interiors, but i may be wrong.

1) You could start with your lighting, make an override grey #808080 material and balance your lighting better. Professional photographers cheat lights too so don't be scared to place extra for highlights etc.

2) Work on your floor and curtain materials. The timber floor grooves look way too thick for starters and the curtain feels too hard and like plastic or something.

3) For interiors, make sure your vertical lines are straight. (look at the wall verticals, they need to be parallel)

4) *Try* Switching to Path Tracing. To speed things up, use Adaptive Sampling (Available on the latest Dev Build - standalone, not sure if you are using a dcc plugin) If you use Adaptive Sampling, make sure you have a Noise Render pass enabled. It will render at normal speed and then gradually speed up as the noise threshold is reached per pixel.
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kenji_Wong » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:47 am

Kenji_Wong Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:47 am
Thank you for replying,

I'm using Octane 3. Where can I find the Adaptive Sampling and Noise Render passes? I couldn't find them.
For the curtain, I use diffuse with some transmission.
Please advise.

Thank you.
Kenji_Wong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby blackshore » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 am

blackshore Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 am
Kenji_Wong wrote:Hi Octane renders,

If anyone could help me cause I've tried every settings possible but still unable to get it to look photorealistic.
Below is one of my work. It doesn't look that bad but you can tell it is a rendered picture and doesn't look photorealistic as what I saw others have achieved.
I'm running on gtx i650, 8GB, intel core i7-4770 @ 3.40 ghz. DL-AO 1000 samples at 33mins.

[img]
test.jpg
[/img]

Thanks a million.
Kenji

You can achive realistic look with DL but it's easier with PT and PMC.
The primary problem is that you have rushed this project.
Take time to observe actual references and ask questions as you go threw them on why they look as they do.
You should see this as a rocket launch, it's hard. If you have a hard problem, you will need to separate them into smaller steps and combine them in the end.
So start without furniture and decoratives as you light them perhaps and work your way from there.
blackshore
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sagun » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:42 am

sagun Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:42 am
*Try* Switching to Path Tracing. To speed things up, use Adaptive Sampling (Available on the latest Dev Build - standalone, not sure if you are using a dcc plugin) If you use Adaptive Sampling, make sure you have a Noise Render pass enabled. It will render at normal speed and then gradually speed up as the noise threshold is reached per pixel.

Hi, I couldn't find Adaptive Sampling under PT model. Is it available only for Standalone ? I am using c4d plugin only.
sagun
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby NicolasKruzel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 pm

NicolasKruzel Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 pm
sagun wrote:
*Try* Switching to Path Tracing. To speed things up, use Adaptive Sampling (Available on the latest Dev Build - standalone, not sure if you are using a dcc plugin) If you use Adaptive Sampling, make sure you have a Noise Render pass enabled. It will render at normal speed and then gradually speed up as the noise threshold is reached per pixel.

Hi, I couldn't find Adaptive Sampling under PT model. Is it available only for Standalone ? I am using c4d plugin only.

There will be a dropdown under kernel that will allow you to choose between Direct Light, PathTracing, and PMC.
NicolasKruzel

Return to Works In Progress