Interior Scene, help please!

Forums: Interior Scene, help please!
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Interior Scene, help please!

Postby Diepgroen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Diepgroen Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 pm
jsuarezbattle wrote:Thank you for the input. I was indeed trying to have my walls be emissive, but then the render was looking SUPER bright, even with the emission set to 0.5.
My walls are white, so I can cheat by making them emissive, which I am going to ask, this would be achieved by adding a texture emission to the emission material correct? which is what I am doing. How is the person in the post you suggested doing it if the walls are so dark? I tried this on the walls and ceiling to get rid of those dark areas, I'll try it again soon and post some pictures. Reducing render times by 70% would be great!

I must say the 'Octane Render for Cinema4D v2.x - Render Settings and Optimization' video gave me a clear idea how to think about - and apply optimizations. Which in turn is a better route to take and it applies to all plug-ins. Towards the end there are clear examples.
The proposed cheat at the other hand uses the Direct Lightning kernel. I have no idea if Ryan Roye tested this with the Path Tracing Kernel or PMC Kernel.

How the material was setup: If I'm correct, plugged into a diffuse material is the following setup
texture image node > emissive node (cast illumination on, surface brightness off, sample rate 1) > diffuse material
Experiment with the power value I would say. I can not say much about open windows or windows with glass geometry in front of them as i haven't tested any of this yet.

Glossy emitting surfaces?
Material Mixer Node combines the Diffuse Emitter material just mentioned above and a glossy material.

I tested his scene and my results are 10sec rendertime with 512 samples - two GFORCE GTX 1070 - screensize 640 x480 no noise.
I bought his training course for Octane and Lightwave, the test scene where included.

My knowledge end there about the cheat.
Diepgroen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kretschi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am

Kretschi Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am
Hallo,

Did you try the old model in the daylight tag with Directlighting and GI_AMBIENT_OCCLUSION? Without the emissive walls..
Not super realistic but very fast...

Andreas
Kretschi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jsuarezbattle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm

jsuarezbattle Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm
Kretschi wrote:Hallo,

Did you try the old model in the daylight tag with Directlighting and GI_AMBIENT_OCCLUSION? Without the emissive walls..
Not super realistic but very fast...

Andreas

Hey Andreas, Yes I did. My ceiling don't get any light bounces, therefore they look very bad. I just got to the office and will try some things now
jsuarezbattle

Postby jsuarezbattle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:06 pm

jsuarezbattle Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:06 pm
Feels like every time I make some progress something else comes up. It can't be this difficult to set up an interior scene with Octane, makes no sense.

I managed to reduce render times, and got DL AO working, as well as diffuse with low render times, but now, depending on where I place my camera, I get these weird shades on my walls. This is going to be an animation so I can't have this happening on my scene. This wasn't happening before. I have restarted C4D and my computer and still.

Any thoughts please?

Image here > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/189 ... 120522.png

PS: why am I not able to upload images to this thread? or why am I not able to post anything to the C4D +octane forum?
jsuarezbattle

Previous

Return to Works In Progress