Real Flow Particles

Forums: Real Flow Particles
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Real Flow Particles

Postby AquaGeneral » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 pm

AquaGeneral Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 pm
I made a short test animation using particles simulated in Real Flow, exported to Octane Render for instancing using a little program I made.

The particles are instances, which is the only reason I think why it's possible to have more than a million spheres without my GTX 570 running out of memory.

For a little technical info, my program reads ASCII files created by Real Flow, grabs the positions of all the particles, writes them to a text file for Octane Render to read with a Scatter node, and loads Octane Render with commands to render each frame.

If anyone is interested I could potentially release the application, it would take a lot of time to make user friendly however.

I plan on creating something far better with the same particle rendering. I regret that the scene is a little boring, and the particles don't seem to be even close to touch geometry.

GeForce GTX 980 + GeForce GTX 570 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 8GB of RAM
AquaGeneral
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Real Flow Particles

Postby p3taoctane » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:21 pm

p3taoctane Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:21 pm
nicely done
Would you mind sharing the ascii file for that particular scene.
I have some titans and would like to see what I can push them to with particles.
I'm assuming I can put any geometry into the scatter node like a bunch of cars etc flowing down your channel.

Very interesting

Peter
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby xxdanbrowne » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:28 pm

xxdanbrowne Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:28 pm
This is completely awesome. Genius work!
xxdanbrowne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AquaGeneral » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:40 am

AquaGeneral Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:40 am
Thanks everyone!

@p3taoctane - I will upload the entire scene for you, but for now at least only one of the frames. Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/900 ... r-f110.zip

I am barely able to render the scene with a few tabs opened in Chrome, plus a few other applications like Skype opened! It's crazy to imagine how it would be having 6 GB of video memory compared to the 1.2 GB I have right now!
AquaGeneral
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OctaneWannabe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 am

OctaneWannabe Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 am
Nice work!

Here's another Octane/Realflow user (not me) posting his early results:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php ... ost1326073

I've got RF2013 and really need to get in motion with it (just beginning with both RF and Octane). We should try to organize the RealFlow/Octane users and pool what we learn, come up with some sample scenes and tutorials?
Win7-64, dual 8-core Xeons, 128GB RAM, dual nVidia Titans
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:26 am

face_off Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:26 am
This looks great. I wonder if you edit the material for the particle and use the "falloff map" node on the opacity pin you can render the sides of the particle invisible and it might then all look more like one liquid body?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby p3taoctane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:30 am

p3taoctane Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:30 am
Thanks mate
I'll load it up and give you some render specs on Tuesday morn.
Away from my Titan beast until then
Appreciate you sharing.

Peter
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AquaGeneral » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 am

AquaGeneral Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 am
OctaneWannabe wrote:Nice work!

Here's another Octane/Realflow user (not me) posting his early results:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php ... ost1326073

I've got RF2013 and really need to get in motion with it (just beginning with both RF and Octane). We should try to organize the RealFlow/Octane users and pool what we learn, come up with some sample scenes and tutorials?

That is a good idea. There isn't much to learn between getting RF into Octane however, if you are using a normal mesh. I'd be interested to know what people are stuck on.

face_off wrote:This looks great. I wonder if you edit the material for the particle and use the "falloff map" node on the opacity pin you can render the sides of the particle invisible and it might then all look more like one liquid body?

Paul

That would definetely help, but in this situation I am deliberately rendering the water as particles. RealFlow can generate meshes fairly well, which can then be exported like any other mesh into Octane Render.

p3taoctane wrote:Thanks mate
I'll load it up and give you some render specs on Tuesday morn.
Away from my Titan beast until then
Appreciate you sharing.

Peter

Thanks! Wonder how much faster it is with them two beasts - I get roughly ~3.8 Ms/sec.
AquaGeneral
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taoctane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 am

p3taoctane Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 am
Will let you know as soon as I get back on it

Peter
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OctaneWannabe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:55 am

OctaneWannabe Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:55 am
AquaGeneral wrote:
That is a good idea. There isn't much to learn between getting RF into Octane however, if you are using a normal mesh. I'd be interested to know what people are stuck on.

As I mentioned, I'm a bit new to using RF 2013, but ... by a 'normal mesh' do you mean using the RFRK? I understand it's based on the newer algorithms as opposed to the 'legacy' meshes.

But, yes - should be straight forward to get a mesh into Octane after doing it once (last RF I used was V4, so ... things have changed a bit), my real concern would be setting up the shaders in Octane, to get realistic water, chocolate, milk, etc.

We might set up some basic settings for commonly used fluids?

And ways to light the mesh to get 'spectacular' looking liquids?
Win7-64, dual 8-core Xeons, 128GB RAM, dual nVidia Titans
OctaneWannabe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Works In Progress