Skin Rendering

Forums: Skin Rendering
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Skin Rendering

Postby tonysculptor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm

tonysculptor Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm
Hey all,

I'm a new user of Octane and I have been trying to figure out how to render a good quality skin. This is obviously a work in progress, but I think the skin is looking pretty good so far. Up until now, everything I have made seemed to look like plastic, but this seems to hold up pretty well.
Tony Reynolds

i7 6 Core Processor | 680 GTX x 3, 4 GB VRAM | 128 GB Ram
tonysculptor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Skin Rendering

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 pm

face_off Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 pm
Superb!
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby xxdanbrowne » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm

xxdanbrowne Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm
Nice. What other maps are you using apart from diffue (if any)?

I take it you're using a mix material with diffuse and glossy nodes with scattering on the diffuse?

Edit: BTW you're not the pseudo famous (in the CG realm) SSS guy are you?
xxdanbrowne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tonysculptor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:04 pm

tonysculptor Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:04 pm
Only diffuse plugged in to three specular materials. No glossy or diffuse. Those materials are what made it look like plastic. I will submit my macro version when I am done tweaking.
At first, I thought I would have to use a diffuse or glossy to make it opaque, but I found that if you make everything physically correct, from the modeling side as well as the absoprtion and scattering side, the specular materials work just fine.
And, yes I am the pseudo famous SSS guy. I did the Eat 3D portrait video and I have done a bunch of work in Mental Ray. I thought it was time to find another renderer to use. :)
Tony Reynolds

tonysculptor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FooZe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 pm

FooZe Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 pm
This looks a lot like Willem Dafoe :)

Thanks
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby xxdanbrowne » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:27 am

xxdanbrowne Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:27 am
Awesome: Welcome!

Octane is a superb renderer.

Most of the SSS skins on here seem to involve some kind of mix material with diffuse and glossy.

Three speculars sounds like a very different path than we've seen on here before.

I can't wait to see what an expert like you can come up with!
xxdanbrowne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tonysculptor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 am

tonysculptor Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 am
I struggled with trying to use the classic diffuse layered approach to skin in Octane, but I have found that as in any renderer, you can get realistic results that way. even if you can getting it looking like skin from a distance, as soon as you zoom in it will always look like plastic. I tried the daz skin macro, and while it looks good from a distance it has the same problem. it looks like plastic up close.
So I decided to do what I ultimately did in Mental Ray, which is not to use diffuse materials at all. It is a three layered approach.

Layer 1, specular material, simulates the epidermis, high absorption(rgb), no scattering medium, color map goes into the transmission color, absorption scale is in the 5000 to 10000 range
Layer 2, specular material, simulates the dermis, low absorption(rgb), high scattering values(rgb), color map goes to transmission, scattering scale is the same as layer 1
Layer 3, specular material, simulates backscattering, same absorption and scattering coefficients as the dermis, color map goes to transmission, scattering scale is in the 200 to 500 range and the phase is set to a negative value

They are blended together with mix materials, the only thing to note is that the backscatter has a very small contribution to the overall material

I have read nearly ever skin paper available and have made some very informed decisions about all of my colors and values. I will post everything soon, along with the final skin macro.

Btw, this is a working model of Willem Dafoe circa his role as Green Goblin in Spiderman. The goal is to have it rigged and animated. Also, all sculpting and texturing have been done by hand, no photos other than to look at for refrence.
Tony Reynolds

tonysculptor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 am

gordonrobb Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 am
Having done a lot of work on trying to get realistic skin myself, I'm very keen to see your materials. Particularly how you are mixing the different spec materials. Looks great by the way.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Garrick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am

Garrick Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am
Outstanding portrait!

I would like to see how you render his hair and eyes.
It seems to be a bit harder to get just right in new renders.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Vista 64| 660 GTX | 6600 Quad | 8GB DD2|Maya 2011
Garrick
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Witpapier » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Witpapier Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 pm
Very interesting approach. Ive been creating sss skins for the poser plugin since I got it. And ive been through many stages and effects. Surely gonna try this approach.
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Works In Progress