NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby bepeg4d » Wed May 31, 2023 6:55 am

bepeg4d Wed May 31, 2023 6:55 am
OctaRamen wrote:Hi Otoy team, is there any update with the denoiser in Octane Blender for Mac M chips?
Using the latest version, I accidentally did a test that was showing some sort of denoising but again accidentally I lost the settings, so I wonder if there is a workaround you could share, I am interested on it mostly because I am working with glass shaders.
Big thanks for your advice!

Hi,
there is not any known issues with AI Denoiser and M1/M2, with OctaneX 2022.1 or 2022.1.1.
It is working via Neural Engine, and it is pretty fast, even faster then CUDA.
Have you tried to post the issue in the Blender section of the OTOY forum?
viewforum.php?f=32

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby spybreak » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:57 am

spybreak Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:57 am
In case anyone is thinking about it, just wanted to let you know that Octane does NOT work with the MacOS Sonoma beta right now. Just tried it and it does not detect any GPU. Do not install it if you depend on Octane.
spybreak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 pm

bepeg4d Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 pm
Yes please, stay with Ventura for now!
In general, macOS beta versions are not supported, and the new macOS version is supported only starting from Golden Master in Autumn.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby spybreak » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:40 pm

spybreak Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:40 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Yes please, stay with Ventura for now!
In general, macOS beta versions are not supported, and the new macOS version is supported only starting from Golden Master in Autumn.

ciao,
Beppe

If you guys need anyone to beta test on Sonoma let me know since I don't think I'll bother going back to Ventura haha. I'll just render on my PC when I need to.
spybreak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LUKEBB » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:53 pm

LUKEBB Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:53 pm
M2 Studio Ultra boasts 3x renders speed increase for Octane renders. Hopefully that's true! Any octane development team can confirm?
It will be interesting to see the benchmarks when someone gets their hands on one.

(Still holding out for a quick Octane render workflow that involves MAC - as my gpu's are just heavy paperweights without support :(. I would be totally ok with it, if my M1 Studio Ultra actually competed with the top AMD cards).
LUKEBB

Postby wafflelad » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:06 pm

wafflelad Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:06 pm
@bepeg4d

I totally get that metal-capable GPUs are still far behind nvidia and it's not an apples to apples (pun intended) comparison, but it would be great to get at least one nvidia card on the benchmark chart just to have a frame of reference. I'm daily hearing from people looking into transitioning over to the Mac, but they have no idea how to gauge what sort of performance capability they'd have in Octane. Best advice I've heard at this point is, "it should be fast enough to do general basic work and then render elsewhere," but that's not much to go on when looking into a $6000 purchase.

Previously I was able to render the chess scene myself to compare, but it looks like it might be a different scene on the latest chart?
wafflelad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:01 am

bepeg4d Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:01 am
Finally, OctaneX 2020 PR15 Standalone and SDK has been released, with support for macOS 13.3 Ventura, or greater:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81740

It is only for Intel/AMD Macs, and doesn't include new features, only the support for macOS ventura.

If you have an Apple Silicon M1/M2 Mac, please stay with 2022.1.1.

@wafflelad and LUKEBB:
Yes, we need a result from new M2 Ultra, possibly for both 60-core and 76-core versions.
Then I will revisit the chart.
Here is the link to new benchmark scene:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75411&start=1320#p421617

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby wafflelad » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:26 am

wafflelad Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:26 am
Oh thanks! I think I remember seeing this before. I'll save it for future reference.

Is there any chance that the intel version of Octane X will get updated to 2022.x or is it Apple Silicon only moving forward?
wafflelad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby iRota » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:43 pm

iRota Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:43 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Finally, OctaneX 2020 PR15 Standalone and SDK has been released, with support for macOS 13.3 Ventura, or greater:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81740

It is only for Intel/AMD Macs, and doesn't include new features, only the support for macOS ventura.

If you have an Apple Silicon M1/M2 Mac, please stay with 2022.1.1.

@wafflelad and LUKEBB:
Yes, we need a result from new M2 Ultra, possibly for both 60-core and 76-core versions.
Then I will revisit the chart.
Here is the link to new benchmark scene:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75411&start=1320#p421617

ciao,
Beppe

Hi Beppe,
Is there going to be a studio C4D plug-in release of this PR15?
iRota
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

M2 ULTRA Benchmarks vs AMD/intel vs NVIDIA : Results please

Postby nibbler » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:12 am

nibbler Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:12 am

It would be nice, to see authentic official Octanebenchmarks for Intel Multi GPU (Dual), M1, M2 ultra etc. Macs in direct comparison.

As already established by Otoy via NVIDIA PC octane benchmarks. Even better: compare WIN PC/Nvidias to Apple/AMD and to Apple/Silicon.

Spoiler:
I doubt, that M2 Ultra brings Octane to an acceptable performance for Pros. Not even compared to Apple Intel/AMDs. Despite PC/Nvidia.

Comparison
We compared rendertimes of the identical 2GB VRAM Scene with same R25 C4D and identical Octane Version (PR14), PMC on Monterey:

Mac Pro Intel/128 GB/ 2x Dual AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB plus 2 x AMD Radeon PRO W6800(one integrated, one via TB Link)
7 Minutes per Frame

AND

MacBook Pro M1 Ultra 64 GB
2 hours ! per frame

That showed us, that Apple Silicon – again is far behind professional demands regarding Offline Rendering Tools like Octane or Redshift.

Even with triple octane/silicon render performance, with M2 ultra (76 gpu cores) you do net even get close to that, what our Multi AMD GPU (each with 24000 cores!!) Intel MacPros would be able to fulflll, not mentioned the MultiGPU NVIDIA 4090 powerhouses within our render cubes.

Yes, M2 Ultra is a powerful 5nm made CPU. But Octane needs traditionally GPU power:

In Geekbench, the gpu performance of M2 ultra is reported equally to a single lowend NVIDIA 4060ti.
This performance again is nearly similar to a 1080ti from 2017!

check:
https://gagadget.com/en/258869-the-appl ... ore-power/

But making the bad even worse: By eliminating performative AMD GPU Support (no longer supported in future Otoys Octane 202x releases) even the new MacPro 2023 with several PCIe Slots is now useless for professional octane, because consequently MultiGPU architectures are not supported by Apple anymore.

Instead of triple-boosting the octane performance as advertised by Apple, for 3D MultGPU AMD Mac Pro Octane Users its in fact a substantial backstep. It only boosts up compared to silicon predecessors – but not to former Intel/AMD based Apple Multi GPU Systems. It would be nice to see Apples Octane 3D GPU performance comparision between MacPro 2019 Double MPX Moduled and new Flagship MacPro 2023. At least to proove me wrong. ;)

Constructive Advice
we will test, if Mac Studio (9000 USD plus X invest for maximal core!!!) will at least pass low pre-edting/construction demands.

For offline production rendering we will transfer and continuously use our PC/Win Octane Renderfarm or try to integrate via the Octane 2023 networking clients.

Perspective:

Apple just entered the VR goggles market ... We think, that they are focusing on realtime rendering via Unitiy, with far less hardware gpu demands. Both, Unitiy and Unreal (native support Silicon) are already established and maybe Otoys brigade can somehow, sometime catch up, lateron.

Conclusion
After 15 years Mac / octane fanbase: Apple is a nice intuitive 2d/AV platform. Its true, that After FX / Final Cut performs 50x faster, BUT especially using Octane seriously in production environment:

If you go 3D Pro: don't buy MacPro (silicon).

Sadly.

Anyway. its honorable, that Octane is still aviable for Mac.Therefor thanks to Otoy. (keep support for intel Macs!!!)

p.s.
This is, to what M2 ultra MacPro 2023 needs to catch up to, Octane-performance-wise:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-14 um 15.15.35.png
MAC PRO 2019 Intel Multi GPU Production System
Several MacPros + Win PC • Cinema 4d • Octane Mac & Octane Win
nibbler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD