Sky Texture Value

Forums: Sky Texture Value
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Sky Texture Value

Postby nick73 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:04 am

nick73 Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:04 am
Hi there,
I 'm using a lot Daylight Enviroment together with hdri on Sky Texture because I like to have sharp shadows. What I need is getting "power" value more than 1 to get most of my hdri's look right. I can do this on 3DS but not in Archicad.
Thank you!!
nick73
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Sky Texture Value

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am

face_off Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am
Hi - the power value is capped at one. If you need to increase the brightness, I think you can change the gamma.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 pm

rappet Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 pm
Hi,
To my experience a the most hdri seems to work best with gamma set either to 1.0 or 2.1
and then play with power settings to the right lighting.
Greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel_Ward » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Daniel_Ward Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:46 pm
Hi Nick,

getting the HDRi environment looking 'right' is a function of 'gamma' which controls the contrast of the lighting from the HDRi, power, but also more importantly camera exposure settings.
You really need a test file of some sort that you can use to get consistent results when setting them up and then export the 'Render Target Settings' for use on your projects.
Generally the Gamma set at around 1.0-1.2 should be about correct, but you'll have to play around with it for each HDRi until it looks 'natural'.
For the power, you need to look around your test scene and see whether the lighting contribution in areas that are not in shadow look over exposed, or whether you can see everything clearly.
Finally, you also need to set an appropriate Camera exposure. For example, an HDRi from the middle of the day probably only needs an exposure of 1-2, whereas an early evening / dusk HDRi could require anything up to 50+. Again, make sure your test scene has some interior lighting in it as it's a good indicator as to whether your HDRi settings are appropriately balanced or not. For a middle of the day scene when your exposure is low, the interior lighting will only just be visible from outside, for an evening scene the amount of light the HDRi image is contributing will be relatively low, so the camera exposure will need to be high and the interior lighting will become the dominant lighting contributor to the image.

Looking at my test images below, the daytime image has an exposure of 2, the evening an exposure of 55. Both are gamma 1.2 and the internal lighting power is the same for both.
Daylight Render Target Settings - Sun in front.png

Evening Test with Landscape Lighting.png

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD