Scatter Control and meshes with Boolean Operations?

Forums: Scatter Control and meshes with Boolean Operations?
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Scatter Control and meshes with Boolean Operations?

Postby Daniel_Ward » Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Daniel_Ward Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm
Hi Paul,

I've been playing around with using some grass clump proxy objects and the 'generate scatter' option to create grass on ArchicAD Meshes and I'm pretty happy with the look of the results so far.

Grass Scatter Edge Control.JPG
Good Grass, but not a very 'architectural' distribution...

What would make it even better would be to have more control over how the scatter gets distributed over the mesh and if it worked on meshes with Boolean operations. I can work around the Boolean operations issue, but when I'm working with the grass object on a mesh, it would be great if I had control over the 'randomness' of the distribution and if I could set a mesh edge offset value. In an architectural illustration more often than not, I need a reasonably straight edge to the lawn, but to achieve this with the 'generate scatter' tool, I would need to be able to set the distribution randomness to 'zero' (or close to it) and also set a mesh offset distribution value of half the width of the grass clump.

I've obviously got no idea what is involved in doing this, but it would make the tool a lot more useful with this sort of additional control.

Best Regards, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scatter Control and meshes with Boolean Operations?

Postby face_off » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 pm

face_off Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 pm
Looks great Dan.

May I suggest using PhantomScatter to generate your scatter files, which will do all the things you are asking for.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Daniel_Ward » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 am

Daniel_Ward Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 am
Hi Paul,

Phantom Scatter isn't available for purchase anymore, it's been discontinued.

As I said I've got no idea how your scatter files get generated within the AC plug in, but I'm assuming you must have some level of control over how the 'random' distribution is calculated. If you gave us nothing more than an option between 'random' and 'uniform' distribution, then at least I could create a nice 'square' patch of lawn on a 'square' mesh when I require it.

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:04 am

face_off Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:04 am
but I'm assuming you must have some level of control over how the 'random' distribution is calculated.
It is just a random number - there is no control over it.

If you gave us nothing more than an option between 'random' and 'uniform' distribution, then at least I could create a nice 'square' patch of lawn on a 'square' mesh when I require it.
If you just want squares, I would suggest using multiple proxy hosts eventually spaced, instead of using a scatter csv file.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD