OctaneRender 4 for ArchiCAD

Forums: OctaneRender 4 for ArchiCAD
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 4 for ArchiCAD

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:27 am

face_off Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:27 am
Is there a way to structure the plugin with a parallel algorithm where we can voluntarily accept (tick a box) for the slow load time approach, in return for live updating?
Definitely possible - but a lot of work, so the benefit needs to be greater than the coding effort.

Will we at least get live walkthrough from ArchiCAD static geometry?
Export to Octane Standalone as do your walkthroughs there.

Will an RTX2080 help Octane much with that?
I don't know - sorry.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:42 am

ArchPrime Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:42 am
What would it take to convince as to the benefit of individual meshes loading option vs work to implement?

The export to Octane Standalone is not great for workflow in a live and evolving project at the best of times, but particularly not good when investigating the impact of geometry changes.
Defeats the whole idea of a plugin? Also, in Standalone, not seeing any navigation controls that work for walkthroughs - only zoom, pan etc, and the preferences/controls menu seems to offer no ability to apply standard first-person shooter type keyboard navigation controls. ArchiCAD navigation in perspective window at least does have this much user-friendliness
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 am

face_off Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 am
What would it take to convince as to the benefit of individual meshes loading option vs work to implement?
There is a lot of work to do to get the Octane 4 version done and stable, so I would recommend revisiting this in 4-6 months.

The export to Octane Standalone is not great for workflow in a live and evolving project at the best of times, but particularly not good when investigating the impact of geometry changes.
Defeats the whole idea of a plugin? Also, in Standalone, not seeing any navigation controls that work for walkthroughs - only zoom, pan etc, and the preferences/controls menu seems to offer no ability to apply standard first-person shooter type keyboard navigation controls. ArchiCAD navigation in perspective window at least does have this much user-friendliness
This sounds like a great idea for an Octane Standalone plugin - I suggest proposing it in the LUA scription forum.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am

ArchPrime Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am
face_off wrote:
This sounds like a great idea for an Octane Standalone plugin - I suggest proposing it in the LUA scription forum.

Paul

Guessing you mean just the last part? - about adding walkthrough controls to Standalone?
So far though, I have seen no evidence of Brigade-like speed in the standalone preview window (even with 2xGTX980Ti GPUs), so unless there is something I am missing, live walkthrough speed not even available in Octane 4?
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nick73 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm

nick73 Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm
ArchPrime , I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but I do walkthrough in octane plugin. Be sure that viewport window is not in the middle - drag it in one edge or use a second monitor. ASDW works fine...
nick73
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 am

ArchPrime Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 am
nick73 wrote:ArchPrime , I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but I do walkthrough in octane plugin. Be sure that viewport window is not in the middle - drag it in one edge or use a second monitor. ASDW works fine...

Thanks nick73

Yes that has always been available, but I am not seeing any brigade like speed improvement in that viewport window - I had understood Brigade was supposed to be able to generate visually reasonable (video game quality) output in real time as you navigate, with standard GPUs.
In my ArchiCAD viewport, the speckling remains very noticeable for some seconds even with the camera still, so nothing like the speed of Brigade demos. and not noticeably changed from version 3.
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD