Proxy scaling and positioning

Forums: Proxy scaling and positioning
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Proxy scaling and positioning

Postby Jasonr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Jasonr Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:55 pm
Some comments on proxies....

Sometimes the obj file when imported in octane is not centered or out of view. In this cases you can recenter the object axis in 3d max and re-export. Then you can import the new obj as proxy in Octane.

The size adjustment of proxies is by using scaling and not exact dimensions. On the contrary in archicad mode, we have the snap function and also the objects can have certain dimensions. So each object can be placed exactly next to each other through point snapping,
but that is not the case in the viewport of Octane.

I still haven't figure out which point of an archicad object is considered as center for octane to place the proxy. For any object position configuration in octane this has to be done visually and not graphically.

If we have a table in archicad for example 2x1 what is the best method to import a proxy exactly at this dimensions and at the exact same perimetric position? Do we need to adjust all the imported objects in 3d max first before importing or there is some other way?

Thank you
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Proxy scaling and positioning

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:49 pm

face_off Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:49 pm
I still haven't figure out which point of an archicad object is considered as center for octane to place the proxy. For any object position configuration in octane this has to be done visually and not graphically.
I thought the ArchiCAD Object middle, bottom was the object center.

If we have a table in archicad for example 2x1 what is the best method to import a proxy exactly at this dimensions and at the exact same perimetric position? Do we need to adjust all the imported objects in 3d max first before importing or there is some other way?
Do you mean 2 meters x 1 meter? If so, make sure the table is 2m x 1m in the OBJ file and set the proxy scale to 100%, and it should load to the correct size.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby s3d-weyrauch » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 am

s3d-weyrauch Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 am
This depends really on your Object, which you use in ArchiCAD. Every OBJ has an absolute Zero and a Coordinate-System. Every GDL-Object in ArchiCAD has a Zero as well. But the GDL-Code decides, where will be the hotspots, and it can be very different from Zero.
Graphisoft uses generally the left lower corner for Zero. For example the Cube (Basic Shapes) has it there.
But the Cylinder (Basic Shapes) has it in the middle at the Bottom.

You don't need any 3DsMax. You could use Octane Standalone, but it is also not necessary. Use an OCS or ORBX for Proxies instead of a simple OBJ, what includes a "Geometry out", a "Placement" and your OBJ-Mesh. Than you can edit your Proxy directly from ArchiCAD.
Proxy-edit.jpg
Proxy-edit.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 6529 times

Most of the OBJ are placed in the middle, but if it is not, than you can correct it with the "Placement".
proxy-edit2.JPG

The Scaling is very tricky as well. You can use different Length unit (Meters, Inches, these are the common units for an OBJ). If you choose the correct one, than you don't have to correct anything with scaling.
Try to use always the same ArchiCAD-Object (for example Cylinder), than you can define with the middle-hotspot always the zero of your Proxy.
David
BIM team leader

Win 10 | ArchiCAD GER 23-24 | Octane Plugin for ArchiCAD
13 Licenses | Network Render over 12 graphic cards
s3d-weyrauch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jasonr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Jasonr Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm
Thank you.

The point for me is not to haver extra objects in Archicad for proxies. I want to have an architectural and functional connection with Octane always.

For example if I place a refrigrator in archicad 2x0,70x0,60 I want a proxy refrigerator (from CG Axis for example) at the same dimensions. I do not want to use any cylinder instead,
because mey opengl viewport will show something different from the Octane.

We try to have all the design factors in realtime.

That is why the center considered in Archicad and the exact scaling is important specially when you have object adjacent to each other.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 am

face_off Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 am
For example if I place a refrigrator in archicad 2x0,70x0,60 I want a proxy refrigerator (from CG Axis for example) at the same dimensions. I do not want to use any cylinder instead,
because mey opengl viewport will show something different from the Octane.
The plugin is not really designed to suit this type of workflow. The intent of the plugin was that you would use simple geometry Objects as proxy owners.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby s3d-weyrauch » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:36 am

s3d-weyrauch Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:36 am
I am working on a tool for that problem, but you have to be patient... ;)
David
BIM team leader

Win 10 | ArchiCAD GER 23-24 | Octane Plugin for ArchiCAD
13 Licenses | Network Render over 12 graphic cards
s3d-weyrauch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jasonr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm

Jasonr Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm
Thank you Paul.
As an arhitect/designer using BIM the idea is to have everything controlled in Realtime. Sections, Elevations, Plans 3d, has to be absolutely coordinated.
Octane has changed 100% our workflow as we see in realtime the final result in maters of shades, materials, textures, lights etc. that opengl cannot perform.

If Octane can follow the BIM workflow in matters of object and dimensions then this will be ideal. It is already doing it at a 99%.
If we can adjust the objects precisely, which I am sure soon the plug in will soon be able to do it, then this will be fantastic.
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jasonr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Jasonr Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:02 pm
s3d-weyrauch wrote:I am working on a tool for that problem, but you have to be patient... ;)

This tool sounds the cherry on the top of the cake.
Really like to try it out if it can be available some time.

Thank you for the good new.
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD