Optimal hardware config for ArchiCAD-OctaneRender ?

Forums: Optimal hardware config for ArchiCAD-OctaneRender ?
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Optimal hardware config for ArchiCAD-OctaneRender ?

Postby rappet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 pm

rappet Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 pm
Hi fellow ArchiCAD-Octane-ers,

As a follow up of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=56127
I thought it might interesting to discuss abtou what hardware would be optimal for us.

It seems to me that it is not so obvious to determine the optimal hardware when looking at the CPU.
What would be better CPU config for ArchiCAD-Octane user?
a dual Xeon versus a single i7?
i7 cores have higher frequency.
According to Paul "the plugin will extract all the geometry from ArchiCAD in a single thread, load that info into Octane in a single thread, but then Voxelize the data using multiple threads."
So, for that one thread an i7 core can be more interesting then two Xeons.
but xeon can have a dual cpu and many more threads for other tasks taht has to be done.

It would be nice to have sort of benchmark with loading (heavy) scene, 2d and 3d plan generating and loading scene into plugin, but that would be a hard one, right?
But we can make/use a test scene and compare with each other as users with different cpu's dual.

When we are talking about optimal hardware config it is different for slaves.
According to Paul "The slave is being sent the Octane NodeGraph - so yes, a lot of the hard work has already been done."

Maybe you also have thoughts about other hardware optimalisation... I just came up with thios CPU thing coz' it looks like a bottleneck to me.. we can upgrade GPU easy, but CPU is another story.

What about RAM? hdd/ssd? and other stuff.
Curious what you guys think...

the link to the other post (link above) .shows images of threads used while doing calculations.. might be interesting to read. You find one image here too.

Cheers,
Attachments
corebehaviour2.JPG
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Optimal hardware config for ArchiCAD-OctaneRender ?

Postby rappet » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am

rappet Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am
hi guys,

bumping this one, because I am very curious if anyone of you ArchiCAD users have something wise to say or share your experience.
the main thing I am after is the best choice for an Octane_archiCAD user between a dual Xeon versus a single i7?

cheers
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Optimal hardware config for ArchiCAD-OctaneRender ?

Postby Daniel_Ward » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:33 am

Daniel_Ward Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:33 am
Hi Jeroen,

I've been looking into the same issues as I'm about to upgrade my CPU/Mbd/RAM. My conclusion at this point is in favour of either i7 6700K or i7 7700K, depending on what's available next month when I go ahead with the upgrade. Whether we like it or not, ArchiCAD is still heavily reliant on Single Threaded performance. The multicore background updating etc is nice, but when I'm waiting for ArchiCAD to complete a task, it's almost always when it's completing a task on 1 core only. I'm tempted by the i7 6800 / i7 7800 to pick up an extra couple of cores, but again I'm aware I'll be giving up something like 20% performance in single threaded performance over the i7 6700 / i7 7700 CPU's if I do.

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD