OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:02 am

face_off Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:02 am
I have updated the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 3.06 - see https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014 for details
- Fixed rounding error where RGB Color nodes were displaying the incorrect XXX/XXX/XXX values in the node tree in certain situtations
- Added Reload button to reload a proxy (useful if you have edited the proxy OCS/ORBX in Octane Standalone)
- Clicking Reload to reload an ORBX or OCS proxy also repositions the proxy if the proxy host has moved
- Fixed bug where if there was an ABC node in a proxy ORBX/OCS, an Octane error would occur

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Jasonr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 am

Jasonr Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 am
Yes - that is the intended behavior. If the plugin cannot find a texturemap or proxy asset, it will ask you to locate it.

Even if I locate it, it will keep asking every time I open the project. It is like it does not save the new address and keeps the initial one. Even without exiting archicad but just closing the plugin and reopening it, the updated address is lost and octane keeps poping up the same message. The only solution is to create the initial address and put there the obj file.
But this should't be the case.

"Copy", then select all the other host Objects you want to copy the new proxy to and click Materials tab->"Paste".

Great. I was using the copy-paste for the textures. Never thought of proxies. Thank you.

Thank you so much for the updated plugin

With regards.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 pm

face_off Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 pm
Even if I locate it, it will keep asking every time I open the project. It is like it does not save the new address and keeps the initial one. Even without exiting archicad but just closing the plugin and reopening it, the updated address is lost and octane keeps poping up the same message. The only solution is to create the initial address and put there the obj file.
But this should't be the case.
That's for this additional info - you are right - this is not working correctly. I will fix this.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Jasonr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Jasonr Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm
Thank you Paul for you direct response. Your support is great.
I would like to ask you how possible is to add a function that gives the option to the proxies to move
in the three axes just like they are rotated.
In most of the cases we have to adjust the obj file in 3dmax to be able to import correctly.

We have rotation if we have also movement then the plugin is solving all the problems and the workflow will be optimized

Thank you so much Paul.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 am

face_off Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 am
I would like to ask you how possible is to add a function that gives the option to the proxies to move
in the three axes just like they are rotated.
In most of the cases we have to adjust the obj file in 3dmax to be able to import correctly.
You can do this by moving the proxy host. The proxy is centered on the proxy host position. The next release will update a proxies position after you move the proxy host if you click the Reload button.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Jasonr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:11 am

Jasonr Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:11 am
Thank you Paul.
It would have been more productive if the movement could be performed inside the plugin instead of moving the host, just like the rotation.
My workflow, and probably the archicad workflow of most architects, would be be improved if we use original objects as host instead of a cylinder.

The point is that the center of the host is not always defined as expected, just as a cylinder, so adjustments are needed for the proxy to be placed correctly.
I know the method of exporting an obj to orbx and then everything is possible through proxy edit which allows the movement, but this is an extra process which could be prevented if the plugin allows obj movement directly.

At the next release I guess the address problem will also be fixed? The reload button sounds like one step closer to improved productivity in large files where update takes time, so this will help. Thanks
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel_Ward » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 am

Daniel_Ward Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 am
Hi Jason,

generally, when you create an ArchiCAD object to link to an Octane Proxy .orbx and find for whatever reason that the objects' centre/base does not correspond to the same 0,0,0 that the Octane Proxy expects to use, you will find that the 3D script of the ArchiCAD object has "addx, addy and addz commands right near the beginning of the 3D script. If you just open the ArchiCAD Object and edit the 3D script and put an ! in front of each of those lines, the ArchiCAD object will have it's 0,0,0 set to the centre/base. You will also need to edit the "2D View" inside the ArchiCAD object to move it so that it's centred on the 0,0. You really don't want to mess around with the origin of the Proxy, because it leads to all sorts of strange transformations when you start rotating the ArchiCAD object. :)

Where the object origin for the ArchiCAD object you have created will be based, depends on the source geometry you have used to create the object, so generally you need to create ArchiCAD object, edit it and add the 'OctaneProxy_Obj' parameter, then open the Octane Viewport and see if the origins correspond or not.

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 am

face_off Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 am
It would have been more productive if the movement could be performed inside the plugin instead of moving the host, just like the rotation.
My workflow, and probably the archicad workflow of most architects, would be be improved if we use original objects as host instead of a cylinder.
In addition to the great comment provided by Dan - adding a translation slider to the Proxy window is not nearly as straightforward as the rotation and scale sliders, for a couple of reasons which I won't bore you with. But with the next release, you can either change the translation of the proxy host, or tweak the OBJ, ORBX or OCS file and click Reload. So there are two methods to translate proxies.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 am

face_off Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 am
Following is a pre-release of the next stable version of the plugin, available for ArchiCAD 20.

3.6.5.72 Pre-Release
- The Reload proxy button now applies any "Face Camera" calculations
- The Reload proxy button now also works for OBJ proxies, so can be used to re-position a proxy after moving the proxy host
- Fixed issue where re-linking a missing proxy source file was not saving the new file name/folder back to the ArchiCAD scene

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/fe/08/63/e1/OctaneRender_for_ArchiCAD20_3_6_5_72_64bit.exe

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Daniel_Ward » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 am

Daniel_Ward Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 am
Hi Paul,

the file you have posted seems to relate to the Revit Plugin?

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD