OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 pm

face_off Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 pm
I thought that it would have been possible for obj files that are connected as proxies so micro adjustments would have been possible on screen instead of moving the archicad object and reload.
To do this, put the OBJ in an OBRX or OCS, which you load as the proxy. Then select the Placement node and use the gizmo to move the mesh.
mesh.png
mesh.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 4629 times

Any chance for FBX Files.
If/when Otoy add FBX support in Octane, you will be able to use the approach above to load those files as proxies.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am

ArchPrime Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am
That screen shot suggests micro adjustment of proxies is still not something that can be done live in the ArchiCAD editing environment - if I understand correctly?

I think that was the idea Jasonr was getting at (if so, I would second the motion - the whole idea for me of an ArchiCAD (or any) plug-in is to avoid the need to switch to and learn other editing environments)
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am

face_off Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am
That screen shot suggests micro adjustment of proxies is still not something that can be done live in the ArchiCAD editing environment - if I understand correctly?
This is possible using the above OCS/ORBX file. Simply "micro adjust" mesh via the Placement node (using the gizmo, or directly in the position transform pins) after clicking the Edit button of the proxy.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am

ArchPrime Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am
I.e not in the ArchiCAD editing environment. The key, I think is the micro adjustment of proxies generally needs to occur in relation to ArchiCAD non proxy objects rather than in a vacuum.

Am I correct in assuming there would be as much or more trial and error required to achieve this (and presumably still reloading of the scene in ArchiCAD?) if editing the proxy itself in separate octane standalone app?

The idea/wish (I think) was to not need to reload the ArchiCAD plugin view every time a proxy is dragged or rotated or rescaled to snap to or better align with some nearby piece of native ArchiCAD geometry - things that can only be done efficiently (without lots of slow trial and error) in the same editing environment that the ArchiCAD objects inhabit - and far better done with live feedback during the edit
Last edited by ArchPrime on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jasonr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:27 am

Jasonr Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:27 am
face_off wrote:
This is possible using the above OCS/ORBX file. Simply "micro adjust" mesh via the Placement node (using the gizmo, or directly in the position transform pins) after clicking the Edit button of the proxy.

Paul

Thank you Paul for your direct responses.
Just some clarifications....

When you say "using the above ocs/orbx file" do you mean that we have to save the proxy as an orbx file, and import it back so the axis can be enabled through the edit function.
As far as I know we cannot edit obj proxies so the axis are not functional.
Most of the objects we are using are imported obj files that are proxies to archicad object. Exporting everything first as orbx makes thing really time consuming unless there is a faster way.
A video perhaps would make thing clearer, in case I am saying something wrong.

I also have to agree with Archiframe. Octane is not a design software but we hope some functions concerning placement and adjustment would be more sufficient for an optimized architectural workflow through the plugin.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 am

face_off Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 am
It would be worth trying to test build I posted above - which will answer a lot of your questions. As you drag the gizmo in the NodeGraph window, you can see the proxy in relation to the rest of the scene, and the render in the Octane Viewport is automatically updated when you close the NodeGraph window - so there is no need to reload the scene.

I believe you can also edit Scatter transforms using the gizmo's - which is pretty amazing! So if you have 50 proxy trees with a Scatter CSV file in the scene, you can select and move each tree.

You will need to open Octane Standalone, rightclick the canvas and add a Geoemtry->Mesh and specify your OBJ file. Then add the Placement and Geometry Out, and save as ORBX, and load that ORBX as your proxy in the plugin. Yes, this is an extra step to save an ORBX file with your OBJ file, but in return you get to move and edit the proxy whilst seeing the immediate result in the viewport.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Jasonr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 am

Jasonr Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 am
Ok. Just did a test. It is obvious that the realtime movement is the absolute tool.
But this extra step of changing the obj to an orbx is a little complicated when you have several obj files.

I do not know if this can be solved with a special script to give you the option to import several obj files in the standalone and export them also as seperate files in obj, keeping the initial file names and adding the placement and geometry out node.
I have no idea about scripting but if this can be done then we are half the distance.

Is it possible to add this edit button to the initial menu?
Shortcuts would have been really great but the floating window function of octane makes things a liitle complicated.
I even tried to create some macros with a gaming keyboard but it doesn't work correctly.

Is there any chance about a script?
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:29 pm

ArchPrime Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:29 pm
Works!
A good step forward!
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm

ArchPrime Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm
Jasonr wrote:Ok. Just did a test. It is obvious that the realtime movement is the absolute tool.
But this extra step of changing the obj to an orbx is a little complicated when you have several obj files.

Is there any chance about a script?

Yes, some sort of batch converter would be super useful - most people have hundreds of Objs, and it would be painful to manually set up each one as an orbx

Noting anyone who does end up with a library of orbx equivalents to their old obj library would presumably still need to make a new copy of this orbx library for every project if they are going to do geometry/placement etc transforms for placed objects in the project in this way, as it looks like the parameter changes you make on the fly for an object (when you hit the new proxy 'edit' button in the ArchiCAD plugin dialog) get stored in the source orbx file?

If so, is there a clever way that these changes can be stored locally and just to the project file, and not affect the original source orbx file? (but with a tamper resistant means to deliberately update the default settings of the source orbx file on the fly when required - eg to correct default textures when discovered to be not working right etc)
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel_Ward » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:55 am

Daniel_Ward Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:55 am
Hi Paul,

it's pretty easy to do, you really just need to add the placement node the first one, then 'save as' and then just reload the next mesh you want to 'convert' and 'save as' again. Let me know if you're struggling and I'll come and show you how to do it. You're really better off in the orbx format anyway as you can then have more control over the materials and the geometry smoothing etc.

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD