OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [TEST and STABLE]

Postby rappet » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 pm

rappet Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 pm
face_off wrote:
My guess is the request is a feature to reload only the selected proxies, and not the total scene... To save time.
Which would be awsome, but I think hard to realize, right?
I think in a lot of cases it will be easier to reload the scene than to remember which proxies you moved and then select them all and then reload them. I am trying to understand the benefit of this change before I invest time in determining if it is viable.

Paul

Hi Paul,
In my workflow it happens many times that I just need to adjust one or two proxies, but then have reload the total scene that in big scenes can take a while.
In example I encounter often that just one proxy blocks the camera a bit (i.e. a tree or plant), then I want to move a little bit.
If you like I can give you more examples.
Cheers,

Edited/added:
And if that would be a feature 'selected reload only'.... Would it not be only for proxies, but as well for non-proxies - the archicad elements? If so, that would an immense productivity excelerator!
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat May 27, 2017 10:42 pm

face_off Sat May 27, 2017 10:42 pm
In my workflow it happens many times that I just need to adjust one or two proxies, but then have reload the total scene that in big scenes can take a while.
In that case, select the proxy and click Reload.

And if that would be a feature 'selected reload only'.... Would it not be only for proxies, but as well for non-proxies - the archicad elements? If so, that would an immense productivity excelerator!
All non-proxies are in the main geometry Octane Mesh node (for performance reasons) - and it's not possible to just update part of that geometry - so this is not possible sorry.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Jasonr » Sun May 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Jasonr Sun May 28, 2017 7:22 pm
face_off wrote:
My guess is the request is a feature to reload only the selected proxies, and not the total scene... To save time.
I think in a lot of cases it will be easier to reload the scene than to remember which proxies you moved and then select them all and then reload them. I am trying to understand the benefit of this change before I invest time in determining if it is viable.

Paul

Unfortunately I do not know the workflow of other software like c4d, max, or maya.
In the architectural workflow things are going around all the time.
In the stage where the project is processed for presentation through octane, several objects are imported as proxies. In the case of archicad a proxy may be multiplied (copied) in archicad several times. (Scatter is not functional because it is based on random positioning). So I may have for example a light object as a proxy that is copied ten times (10 proxies) and I need to change the vertical position.
If the scene is heavy It would take a lot of time to reload it to see this change. On the other hand if I had the option of choosing all the proxies, move them and reload just those, the workflow speeds up greatly.

One more question is this: When I have an object in archicad connected to an obj (so I have proxy) if I copy the object in archicad the proxy connection remains. How possible is to be able to press proxy reload instead of complete scene reload and have the proxy appear in the scene. THIS WOULD BE GREAT.

Paul you said "All non-proxies are in the main geometry Octane Mesh node (for performance reasons) - and it's not possible to just update part of that geometry - so this is not possible sorry."

How possible is to have all the archicad objects and lights in a different node than the rest of the model. Generally what changes 90% during the octane editing phase is objects so this may be a solution.
In the past I made a question about the possibility of being able to edit lights as proxies also.

Again i have to say that all the above are absolutely connected to my architectural workflow so even if octane wasn't inititially targeted for architectural purposes the plug in is there to cover the needs and it does it perfectly. I suppose that the architects are just trying to adapt it more to their needs so I understand that this is not always possible.

Thank you so much.
Last edited by Jasonr on Sun May 28, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Sun May 28, 2017 7:31 pm

rappet Sun May 28, 2017 7:31 pm
Jasonr wrote:
face_off wrote:

Paul

Unfortunately I do not know the workflow of other software like c4d, max, or maya.
In the architectural workflow things are going around all the time.
In the stage where the project is processed for presentation through octane, several objects are imported as proxies. In the case of archicad a proxy may be multiplied (copied) in archicad several times. (Scatter is not functional because it is based on random positioning). So I may have for example a light object as a proxy that is copied ten times (10 proxies) and I need to change the vertical position.
If the scene is heavy It would take a lot of time to reload it to see this change. On the other hand if I had the option of choosing all the proxies, move them and reload just those, the workflow speeds up greatly.

One more question is this: When I have an object in archicad connected to an obj (so I have proxy) if I copy the object in archicad the proxy connection remains. How possible is to be able to press proxy reload instead of complete scene reload and have the proxy appear in the scene. THIS WOULD BE GREAT.

Again i have to say that all the above are absolutely connected to my architectural workflow so even if octane wasn't inititially targeted for architectural purposes the plug in is there to cover the needs and it does it perfectly. I suppose that the architects are just trying to adapt it more to their needs so I understand that this is not always possible.

Hi JAson,

yes, i agree, to press 'proxy reload' would be usefull feature.

Considering your workflow you might use this tip:
You can use OBJ proxies in the ArchiCAD module as well: so you can have a module file with a OBj proxie used for a tree,
then insert it as a module in your main scene, and copy the module and rotate it to have 'different' trees.
Then in your module you can change that tree by using the proxy setings, or even by a new obj model if you like.

cheers
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 pm

face_off Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 pm
At the moment you would need to select the proxy and click Reload 10 times. Under your proposed change you would select the 10 proxies and click Reload once. So the time saving is small. I need to assess how easy this would be to implement, and it is difficult - I don't think the development effort would be justified by the time saving.

This may be relatively easy to do - I will check.

How possible is to have all the archicad objects and lights in a different node than the rest of the model. Generally what changes 90% during the octane editing phase is objects so this may be a solution.
In the past I made a question about the possibility of being able to edit lights as proxies also.
Splitting out the lights from the rest of the scene in the Octane Mesh node would require a lot of reworking of the plugin code, so it is something I would prefer to avoid. It would also mean you would need a lot more RAM to load the scene (since the plugin would need to retain the geometry data for 2 Octane Mesh nodes rather than one).

A lot of what you are trying to do is already implemented in other 3d app plugins (the Modo plugin for example). But trying to do this in ArchiCAD is going to be a lot more difficult, because ArchiCAD is not designed to provide the amount of geometry control that you are looking for.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Mon May 29, 2017 1:07 pm

rappet Mon May 29, 2017 1:07 pm
face_off wrote:
This may be relatively easy to do - I will check.
Paul

Hi Paul,

I understand about there needs to be a balance in the needed effort and result being worth it.
We ask easily and then hope for some magic to happen :D
I am glad , and I suspect other AC users are too, with any improvement possible to realize by you...
Thinking about the beginning... I am very surprised where you got it where it is today!
amazing job I have to say again.

So if the result of this asking will be a feature as described above would be awsome to have, so our asking was worth it :lol:

greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jasonr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:34 am

Jasonr Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:34 am
The great thing with this forum is that the developers are becoming users and the users are becoming developers.
It is really nice to have direct response to everything and it feels like you contribute to the evolving of a great software that defines standrads.
In no way everything is said here is a demand. Everytime we are just expressing wishes as we feel that the options, if we look back, become endless.
There is always a practical limit of time, cost and performance benefit but the instict of moving forward makes keep wondering if everything is possible...

As an architect I am seeing octane from an architectural perspective not only in matters of presentation (which is perfect) but also in matters of usability and workflow in combination ofcourse with Archicad, which is the base software.
I consider Paul a partner to what I do and I absolutely trust what he proposes.
With all my fellows we will keep supporting all the efforts of improvements of Octane and plugin and we will remain at the disposal of Paul for any help.

With warm regards.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby s3d-weyrauch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm

s3d-weyrauch Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Graphisoft released the AC21 today.
Paul, could you please estimate the first stable release of the plugin? Our design process hangs on this tool, and I cannot launch the new ArchiCAD before then.
This message is not pressing you, it is only for scheduling my tasks. Thank You!
David
BIM team leader

Win 10 | ArchiCAD GER 23-24 | Octane Plugin for ArchiCAD
13 Licenses | Network Render over 12 graphic cards
s3d-weyrauch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:56 am

face_off Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:56 am
Paul, could you please estimate the first stable release of the plugin? Our design process hangs on this tool, and I cannot launch the new ArchiCAD before then.
I should have a test version out by early next week.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am

face_off Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am
I have updated the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compile with Octane 3.06.4
- Added support for ArchiCAD 21. ArchiCAD 18 support to be removed in the near future
- The Field of View pin can now be manually set if Orthographic is enabled on the Octane Camera

There has been minimal testing on the AC21 version of the plugin, so pls let me know if you find any issues.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD