OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for ArchiCAD [TEST and STABLE]

Postby ArchPrime » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 am

ArchPrime Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 am
Daniel_Ward wrote:Hi Paul,

it's pretty easy to do, you really just need to add the placement node the first one, then 'save as' and then just reload the next mesh you want to 'convert' and 'save as' again. Let me know if you're struggling and I'll come and show you how to do it. You're really better off in the orbx format anyway as you can then have more control over the materials and the geometry smoothing etc.

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks Dan - process does seem simple enough, but even so would be arduous if converting the entire Treefrog library to orbx for example. Something as repetitive as this seems a sitter for some sort of batch file automation script...
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:31 am

face_off Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:31 am
Yes, some sort of batch converter would be super useful - most people have hundreds of Objs, and it would be painful to manually set up each one as an orbx
Anyone who is proficient with LUA Octane scripting would be able to do this reasonably easily. I suggest putting the request in the LUA forum here - you may get someone willing to do it.

If so, is there a clever way that these changes can be stored locally and just to the project file
The only way to do this would be to move the proxy host. If you edit the ORBX proxy Placement node, then that change is in the ORBX, not the ArchiCAD scene.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 pm

ArchPrime Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 pm
Is there a way to have the octane plugin, whenever a change is being made on the fly to an proxied orbx via the 'edit' button, save a local copy of that orbx into the project directory and relink proxy to that version, and so leave the original orbx alone?
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 am

face_off Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 am
Is there a way to have the octane plugin, whenever a change is being made on the fly to an proxied orbx via the 'edit' button, save a local copy of that orbx into the project directory and relink proxy to that version, and so leave the original orbx alone?
That could be done, but you would end up with many versions of a proxy ORBX - one for each change.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:52 am

ArchPrime Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:52 am
face_off wrote:
That could be done, but you would end up with many versions of a proxy ORBX - one for each change.

Paul

What about setting a 'this is a local copy' flag the first time it is edited from a given project and a copy saved to a directory other than the original directory, such that subsequent times it is edited, it knows to save over that first copy (or even prompts user to confirm save location)
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 am

face_off Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 am
What about setting a 'this is a local copy' flag the first time it is edited
I'm not sure where would this flag be stored? There is also the consideration that when people want to move scenes between PC's, they need to copy all the assets too - so if the plugin is creating it's own assets, the user would not be aware of them.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 pm

ArchPrime Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 pm
face_off wrote:
What about setting a 'this is a local copy' flag the first time it is edited
I'm not sure where would this flag be stored? There is also the consideration that when people want to move scenes between PC's, they need to copy all the assets too - so if the plugin is creating it's own assets, the user would not be aware of them.

Paul

Could it be stored as metadata associated with the edited and resaved orbx file, which gets saved by default in project assets directory and relinked to there along, with all the other assets like textures etc that can be saved - anyone moving the project would just copy the while project directory, and so links would be preserved?
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

face_off Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am
Could it be stored as metadata associated with the edited and resaved orbx file, which gets saved by default in project assets directory and relinked to there along, with all the other assets like textures etc that can be saved - anyone moving the project would just copy the while project directory, and so links would be preserved?
I think it would be far easier for you to simply have a master copy and then copy it in Explorer and then link the copy.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 am

face_off Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 am
I have updated the TEST installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 3.07 TEST 6
- Fixed issue where Specular materials could not be imported from the LocalDb

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 am

ArchPrime Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 am
face_off wrote:
I think it would be far easier for you to simply have a master copy and then copy it in Explorer and then link the copy.

Paul

I guess, but that would interrupt the user in the throes of editing, and feel like a workaround?
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD