Archicad lamps?

Forums: Archicad lamps?
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Archicad lamps?

Postby darb433 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:36 am

darb433 Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:36 am
Hi,

Are we able to easily integrate the use of archicad in built lamps (ies,area,etc) with the archicad octane plugin? Or do we have to create seperate objects and then make them into diffuse materials with emission within the plugin?

If I have a project that is using the standard archicad lamp objects which are reflected in floor plans is there any 'easy' way to quickly get an octane render from a 3d view rather than having to go back and create objects for each lamp?

Thanks
darb433
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Archicad lamps?

Postby rappet » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:48 am

rappet Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:48 am
Hi darb433,

Archicad lamp objects do have materials (ie. Bulb) and in Octane you can assign an emitter material to it.
So you do no not need to assign new objects for the lighting.

I do not know about ies (non lamp objects) lights I have not experimented yet, because I had no need (yet)
being able to produce good interior renderings with the lamps and atmospherical (sub/hdri) lighting.

Cheers,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby przemn » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:35 pm

przemn Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:35 pm
Hey,

I must say I have problems with making realistic interiors using only lamps. If there's a window in a room - render looks great. If not ( like in a bathroom ) - it is just bad. I would like to hear some of your tips and tricks :)

Anyway, I just upgraded to AC19 thinking, that I will be able to use cinerender materials in octane also ... well, seems I should read all the forum topics first ... :)

Przem
przemn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:38 pm

face_off Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:38 pm
I must say I have problems with making realistic interiors using only lamps.
ArchiCAD lamps will have a lot of polygons, so not serve as good Octane emitters. Pls read the Octane Notes links in my signature for reducing the noise you are getting when rendering with these emitters.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm

rappet Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm
I often model small planes with emitter assigned to the plane material and place them woth the lamps.
Bigger emitter planes you can use just behind the camera and or behind window planes.
Another trick is using ArchiCAD 3D marquee and clip it the way you do not have a wall behind the camera and this will add ambient light easily.
Or sometimes you can leave away the ceiling when not seen with chosen cam to get ambient.
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby przemn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:04 pm

przemn Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:04 pm
Some very interesting ideas in both of your posts. I was able to have best results with no ceiling / wall behind camera and hdr lighting, but still it was just not good. Thanks, I will definite!y try your solutions also.

Przem
przemn
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm

ArchPrime Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm
Is there ever going to be a clever way to import ArchiCAD light sources directly rather than relying on emitting textures ?
Perhaps there is a way to covert what is known about the ArchiCAD light source into an IES texture floating in space the right distance away a from target, and pointing in the right direction?

Messing around trying to achieve spotlight is otherwise insanely slow and not at all intuitive or WYSIWYG in Octane. I prefer Octane light quality, once set up, but for a quick one off render it is far faster just to skip octane and render with built in cinerender, which largely defeats one of the key advantages of having octane.
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 am

face_off Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 am
Is there ever going to be a clever way to import ArchiCAD light sources directly rather than relying on emitting textures ?
Perhaps there is a way to covert what is known about the ArchiCAD light source into an IES texture floating in space the right distance away a from target, and pointing in the right direction?

Messing around trying to achieve spotlight is otherwise insanely slow and not at all intuitive or WYSIWYG in Octane. I prefer Octane light quality, once set up, but for a quick one off render it is far faster just to skip octane and render with built in cinerender, which largely defeats one of the key advantages of having octane.
I think this requires some expert user analysis first.

For example, the Desk Lamp 01 21 - there is physical geometry in the scene, and if you click on on of these lamps, you can see a material "GDL_builtInMatIlluminatio" in the Select from Selection combo box. If you change the material type to Diffuse and add an Emission node, the lamp then works.

But then Ceiling Lamp 21 also has physical geometry, but does NOT have an emitter material, so where is the light supposed to be emitter from?

Area Light 21 has NO physical geometry (ie. ArchiCAD reports no polygons for these objects).

So the conversion rules behind these different lights need to be worked out. I think decoding the way all the General Lights work would be very difficult.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 am

ArchPrime Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 am
face_off wrote:

I think this requires some expert user analysis first.

For example, the Desk Lamp 01 21 - there is physical geometry in the scene, and if you click on on of these lamps, you can see a material "GDL_builtInMatIlluminatio" in the Select from Selection combo box. If you change the material type to Diffuse and add an Emission node, the lamp then works.

But then Ceiling Lamp 21 also has physical geometry, but does NOT have an emitter material, so where is the light supposed to be emitter from?

Area Light 21 has NO physical geometry (ie. ArchiCAD reports no polygons for these objects).

So the conversion rules behind these different lights need to be worked out. I think decoding the way all the General Lights work would be very difficult.

Paul

I think the conversion would need to ignore any physical geometry associated with ArchiCAD lamp object surfaces, and extract all info directly from the GDL light parameters in the object - these will be the same for area lights without visible geometry.

I am certain there must be a mathematical relationship between how these parameters describe the light intensity,cone spread, direction etc within ArchiCAD, and what it would take to replicate these characteristics in Octane via creation of a small polygon with an emitting IES texture
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm

face_off Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm
I am certain there must be a mathematical relationship between how these parameters describe the light intensity,cone spread, direction etc within ArchiCAD, and what it would take to replicate these characteristics in Octane via creation of a small polygon with an emitting IES texture
If you can provide this mathematical relationship, I will code it into the plugin.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD