Copying mutiple materials from one proxy to another

Forums: Copying mutiple materials from one proxy to another
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Copying mutiple materials from one proxy to another

Postby rappet » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:37 am

rappet Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:37 am
Hi Paul,
It would be great to be able and copying mutiple materials from one proxy to

This is an example I am encountering often;

I.e. I have an OBJ (say apple tree) and I also use a duplicate as a proxy.
One tree I want green apples, the other red apples, but all have the same material for bark, leaves and more.

first I set all materials of OBJ1 correctly with red apples, transparancy dor leaves and other settings
and then I want to the same settings for OBJ2 with green apples.
Now I have to copy material 1 from OBJ1 to material1 of OBJ2, then material 2, material3, et cetera.
Only with apples I cahnge the color or texture, and that is it.

It would be awsome to be able and copy all materials of OBJ1 and paste them at once to OBJ2.

Then this should also be possible if OBJ2 has alos more materials then OBJ1, but will copypaste only the mterials with the same name.

I guess it might be hard question, but asking is easy :lol:
Greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Copying mutiple materials from one proxy to another

Postby s3d-weyrauch » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:11 pm

s3d-weyrauch Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:11 pm
It can be really a hard question for Paul. But I think, if you already had an OBJ, and if you already set good textures to them, why don´t you export it to standalone, save only the OBJ and Texture-Nodes as an OCS or ORBX?
I work always that way. If I buy or build a cool Object, I save different OCS versions (with green apples, with red apples), and I can forget setting the materials in AC forever.

In my opinion, the better Feature would be to see and edit the Nodes of the OCS/ORBX in AC. But it´s complex as well, beacuse if a node is changed, it should overwrite the OCS/ORBX. Or we should have the opportunity in AC to save the changed OCS/ORBX with different filename.

Paul, thanks again for the last features about GDL. I´m very busy with AC19 right now, Graphisoft made it not so easy for us. I will report, if I have something.
David
BIM team leader

Win 10 | ArchiCAD GER 23-24 | Octane Plugin for ArchiCAD
13 Licenses | Network Render over 12 graphic cards
s3d-weyrauch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Copying mutiple materials from one proxy to another

Postby face_off » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am

face_off Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am
Hi Jeroen - my apologies for not responding earlier - I somehow missed this post.

It would be awsome to be able and copy all materials of OBJ1 and paste them at once to OBJ2.
The copy/paste mechanics in the plugin does not work for multiple materials - so that could be quite difficult to implement. However you can save all the materials of a proxy to "Default", then when you next use that proxy those defaults will be loaded. Alternatively, using OCS/ORBX for proxies is a good solution to.

In my opinion, the better Feature would be to see and edit the Nodes of the OCS/ORBX in AC. But it´s complex as well, beacuse if a node is changed, it should overwrite the OCS/ORBX. Or we should have the opportunity in AC to save the changed OCS/ORBX with different filename.
This is a really great idea - and relatively easy to implement (using the new NodeGraph window that Otoy recently provided in the API). I will investigate for the next release.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD