missing SKP textures in exported OCS

Forums: missing SKP textures in exported OCS
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

missing SKP textures in exported OCS

Postby rappet » Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 am

rappet Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 am
Hi,
When a SKP file is imported in Archicad (it translates it to a gdl when havin git dragged and dropped)...
I have the textures in Archicad plugin, but when having exported to OCS the object textures are missing when opening the OCs in the Standalone.
greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: missing SKP textures in exported OCS

Postby face_off » Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 am

face_off Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 am
Hi Jeroen, you would probably need to send me a test scene that exhibits this problem in order for me to work out what is going on. Perhaps the texturemap is a bitmap in the GDL file rather than a physical file?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Sun May 31, 2015 11:41 am

rappet Sun May 31, 2015 11:41 am
face_off wrote:Hi Jeroen, you would probably need to send me a test scene that exhibits this problem in order for me to work out what is going on. Perhaps the texturemap is a bitmap in the GDL file rather than a physical file?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yeah, I think it is a bitmap in the GDL file as you mention.
Is there a workaround that?
I'll send you an (small) example later.... the project with this is pretty pretty big.

later,
Jeoen

edited: as a solution I think I can export the SKp fromout Sketchup to an OBJ/MTL to extract the textures (to point to later in the standalone...)
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:55 pm

rappet Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:55 pm
Hi Paul,

I have send you a PM about this with test file.

greetings,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:10 am

face_off Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:10 am
Hi Jeroen - I had a look at the file you set me. The GDL file specifies the following image files for materials....brievenbus_3.jpg, GE_2.jpg, Metal_Rough_4.jpg. It did not specify a folder (so I'm unsure how ArchiCAD is finding them - perhaps they are in the same folder as the imported skp fle?) - but if you can locate them, plugin them into the GDL_brievenbus, GLD_GE_2 and GLD_Metal_Rough materials.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:28 am

rappet Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:28 am
face_off wrote:Hi Jeroen - I had a look at the file you set me. The GDL file specifies the following image files for materials....brievenbus_3.jpg, GE_2.jpg, Metal_Rough_4.jpg. It did not specify a folder (so I'm unsure how ArchiCAD is finding them - perhaps they are in the same folder as the imported skp fle?) - but if you can locate them, plugin them into the GDL_brievenbus, GLD_GE_2 and GLD_Metal_Rough materials.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Yaah, that is the point/question ...
Looks like the SKP files has textures within the SKP file (no folder with textures).
Then when having imported the SKP file into Archicad, and opening the OctaneRender plugin it shows the textures fine, so Archicad (and OR plugin) sees the textures somehow.
To have it in Standalone as well I can solve it by exporting the SKP to OBJ with MTL and textures.
But still it is strange... where and how does Archicad sees the textures thet come with SKP imported?
Maybe the Sketchup community on this forum knows more about it?
greetz, Jeroen
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:59 am

face_off Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:59 am
Looks like the SKP files has textures within the SKP file (no folder with textures).
You are right. The actual texturemaps are embedded in the SKP file. I can open the SKP file in Rhino and it will read the textures. Interestingly, Rhino reports the file is on my file system at "ArchiCadPlugin-test\brievenbus_OK_GE\GE.jpg" - but there is no file there, only a file called brievenbus_OK_GE which is 0 bytes in length. So Rhino must be storing these textures internal. ArchiCAD is probably doing the same. The ArchiCAD API provide the filename of the "texture" but not the bitmap itself - so it is not possible for the plugin to gain access to the SKP internal texturemaps. Octane will need them saved to a file on your file system.

This might do the exporting for you - http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=33448

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:01 am

rappet Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:01 am
face_off wrote:
You are right. The actual texturemaps are embedded in the SKP file. I can open the SKP file in Rhino and it will read the textures. Interestingly, Rhino reports the file is on my file system at "ArchiCadPlugin-test\brievenbus_OK_GE\GE.jpg" - but there is no file there, only a file called brievenbus_OK_GE which is 0 bytes in length. So Rhino must be storing these textures internal. ArchiCAD is probably doing the same. The ArchiCAD API provide the filename of the "texture" but not the bitmap itself - so it is not possible for the plugin to gain access to the SKP internal texturemaps. Octane will need them saved to a file on your file system.

This might do the exporting for you - http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=33448

Paul

Yes, I know... I have been using the OctaneRender Sketchup exporter (TIG) for a long time to do the converting to OBJ,
works perfectly :P
Greetz
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD