Folder - AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD

Forums: Folder - AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Folder - AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD

Postby rappet » Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm

rappet Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Hi Paul,

I am organizing everything in a folder on a other computer on a drive instead of in the C:\Users folder.
I want to make this migration as simple as possible.
I have copied all the saved files from one PC to a new PC in a new folder on another harddrive.
Tapperworks-report-150506-207.JPG

Now when importing a material from the new library folder it misses textures and is looking in the C:\Users\Jeroen_... folder but it cannot see it.
Tapperworks-report-150506-208.JPG

Standard the plugin has this foldername (when copied the path)
C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD
It has shortened the users name into 'J' by the way while I was using my fullname
Does that makes a difference? Is that the problem.

Secondly i do want thetextures to be stored in the other folder, so then I can point to the other folder with search.
But now I have to do that for every imported material, right?

So, is it unwise to have things not in the standard folder "C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD'
Then, should I use only 'Jeroen' as user (not full name with space in user name)?

greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Folder - AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD

Postby face_off » Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 am

face_off Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 am
Hi Jeroen

When you copy the Exported material definition from your AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD folder to anywhere else, it will still contain the absolute path to the texturemaps. If you move the texturemaps, they will not be found when you load the OAM and you will need to "Search" to relink them. You can then re-Export that material and the correct link to the texturemaps will be saved in the OAM file.

I think a better way to do this is to export to the LocalDb instead. When the materials are saved as ORBX in the LocalDb, the texturemaps are contained inside the ORBX. So you can copy the ORBX to a different location and it will load with the texturemap paths linked correctly.

C:\Users\Jeroen_... folder
Are there special characters in your Windows username? If so, I suspect the error dialog is displaying the wrong folder name.

Secondly i do want thetextures to be stored in the other folder, so then I can point to the other folder with search.
But now I have to do that for every imported material, right?
Yes - but AC should "remember" the last searched folder and search their before prompting you, so you could Import and then Export all your OAM materials in one AC session to correct the links.

So, is it unwise to have things not in the standard folder "C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD'
The local of your OAM files is not too important - it is more important that your LiveDb texturemap folder is somewhere that you can replicate on each PC you have (ie. NOT in your Users folder). Again, if you use the LocalDb this problem goes away.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

relative path

Postby s3d-weyrauch » Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 pm

s3d-weyrauch Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 pm
Hi,
I mentioned before, that I use the OCS and OAM formats instead of OBRX anyway, because these are only links. If I use in different OCS the same meshes and textures, than I have saved a lot of GDDR and time.

I know that the following wish is not an AC subject, but you are the one, who can understand the plugin-users wish.
It would be nice to have a relative path for meshes and textures in the standalone. Than we can move our library to and fro.
David
BIM team leader

Win 10 | ArchiCAD GER 23-24 | Octane Plugin for ArchiCAD
13 Licenses | Network Render over 12 graphic cards
s3d-weyrauch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Folder - AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD

Postby face_off » Fri May 15, 2015 10:42 pm

face_off Fri May 15, 2015 10:42 pm
It would be nice to have a relative path for meshes and textures in the standalone. Than we can move our library to and fro.
This is actually available in Octane Standalone at the moment. File->Preferences->Application->tick Use Relative Paths. Then when you save an OCS with OBJ and JPG assets, the path saved in the OCS will be relative to the file save path of the OCS. ORBX assets are packaged inside the ORBX file, so are "relative" too.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD