Spotlights, image graininess, material based light source

Forums: Spotlights, image graininess, material based light source
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Spotlights, image graininess, material based light source

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:29 pm

ArchPrime Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:29 pm
A few possibly related questions:

How best to create spotlights with various parametric light spread and falloff attributes in ArchiCAD, such that they work in octane plugin without further messing around? The average user needs to integrate visualization with documentation processes (the whole point of BIM) so light sources in visualization need to remain synchronized with electrical/lighting plans in ArchiCAD plan views - moving or switching from one kind of spotlight to another - with known bulb light output attributes, needs to be reflected in the visualization.

Also, how can interior still and animated renderings avoid graininess where there needs to be multiple material based light sources with specific characteristics (see above) rather than say a general area light from a single polygon. Currently, even with 16000 samples, the results I am getting look very grainy

Also, if coloured glass is in front of a light source (eg stained glass windows in front of the sun) how can I get the glass colours to be projected in vibrant coherent patterns on the far wall or floor as the light passes through the glass? And without introducing graininess to the rendered scene? At best I can get lead light patterns to project, but any glass colour seems to be washed out, (unless I make the glass nearly completely opaque - which them means transparency is wrong) - see screenshot
Capture.JPG
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Spotlights, image graininess, material based light source

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:18 pm

face_off Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:18 pm
How best to create spotlights with various parametric light spread and falloff attributes in ArchiCAD, such that they work in octane plugin without further messing around? The average user needs to integrate visualization with documentation processes (the whole point of BIM) so light sources in visualization need to remain synchronized with electrical/lighting plans in ArchiCAD plan views - moving or switching from one kind of spotlight to another - with known bulb light output attributes, needs to be reflected in the visualization.
You can enter real world light distributions with IES lights (details are in the manual).

Also, how can interior still and animated renderings avoid graininess where there needs to be multiple material based light sources with specific characteristics (see above) rather than say a general area light from a single polygon. Currently, even with 16000 samples, the results I am getting look very grainy
You probably need more light in the scene. A film camera will be grainy in low light too.

Also, if coloured glass is in front of a light source (eg stained glass windows in front of the sun) how can I get the glass colours to be projected in vibrant coherent patterns on the far wall or floor as the light passes through the glass? And without introducing graininess to the rendered scene? At best I can get lead light patterns to project, but any glass colour seems to be washed out, (unless I make the glass nearly completely opaque - which them means transparency is wrong)
The glass color needs to be put into the Transmission pin. Make sure Fake Shadows are enabled. Add some Caustic Blur too.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Spotlights, image graininess, material based light source

Postby rappet » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:49 pm

rappet Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:49 pm
Also depending on imager settings the render can have a lot of details and information on contrast and light, even when appears to dark in rednered png file...
, but with tone correction in postproduction it can be surprigingly 'bright' and appealing ;)
Attachments
Glimpse-Guthrie-correction.jpg
Capture_tonemapped.jpg
Capture_tonemapped.jpg (68.07 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD