OctaneRender 2 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender® for ArchiCAD 2.16 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 am

face_off Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Fixed crash when importing material in oam format

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender® for ArchiCAD 2.13 [TEST]

Postby studio3lhd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:45 am

studio3lhd Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:45 am
face_off wrote:
The scene loading times increase considerably with each new update!
With this latest build it's almost quicker to obtain a usable render than to wait for the whole thing to even open up the viewport! :roll:

I am talking about geometry heavy scenes, but I don't remember loading times were an issue before v2.11
I'm not aware of anything which would be slowing down load times. Do you have any statistics you can provide pls (load time for old version verses new version of the plugin?). Also - are you using displacement maps? Are you referring to load times rendering animation/flythru's or a single frame? Is the increase in load time for opening the Viewport or rendering in the Photorenderer?

Paul

Sorry, haven't seen this before the holidays..
We generally do still renders only, I should do some actual tests, instead of simply relaying my impressions (based on only a couple of versions, several months of using Octane at all). However, it's pretty much always crunch-time, so we'll probably be well into the 2.20s before this happens! :)

Hopefully 2.16 will perform better.
Octane for Modo (v 2.22.2.68), Modo (801 sp4);
2 x TITAN Black,
I7, 32GB RAM.
studio3lhd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® for ArchiCAD 2.13 [TEST]

Postby studio3lhd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:55 am

studio3lhd Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:55 am
ArchPrime wrote:
studio3lhd wrote:The scene loading times increase considerably with each new update!
With this latest build it's almost quicker to obtain a usable render than to wait for the whole thing to even open up the viewport! :roll:

I am talking about geometry heavy scenes, but I don't remember loading times were an issue before v2.11

I have not seen obvious load time increases with a pretty complex project I have been working on (on the screaming limit of what ArchiCAD can load at all, with 16GB RAM). And in fact experienced some welcome reduction if 2nd caching process is turned off for view port as implemented a few test versions back.
Possibly hard drive getting full/in need of defragging? Possibly some Windows page faulting involved during loading processes if your RAM is getting full?

Having 32gb RAM and Intel SSDs I'm pretty sure defrag is not the problem. Screaming limit is what we do, I understand perfectly! :)

It's worth mentioning that .pln files, textures, objs etc are on a server. I've tried migrating the project and working locally (like before 2.12) and it's the same impression.

This was a geometry heavy scene, since the proxy system is kind of a pain (having to do a low-poly representation of every model, framing a shot is a bit problematic if all you have in the viewport are cubes and cylinders, not to mention positioning objects..). Not to stray too much, as I've said previously, this needs some actual testing. WilI try to do that.
2 x TITAN Black,
I7, 32GB RAM.
studio3lhd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 am

face_off Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 am
Having 32gb RAM and Intel SSDs I'm pretty sure defrag is not the problem. Screaming limit is what we do, I understand perfectly! :)

It's worth mentioning that .pln files, textures, objs etc are on a server. I've tried migrating the project and working locally (like before 2.12) and it's the same impression.

This was a geometry heavy scene, since the proxy system is kind of a pain (having to do a low-poly representation of every model, framing a shot is a bit problematic if all you have in the viewport are cubes and cylinders, not to mention positioning objects..). Not to stray too much, as I've said previously, this needs some actual testing. WilI try to do that.
If it's just the pln on the server, that should be OK (since it will load into the RAM of the PC running ArchiCAD, however if the pln references (has links to) other pln's on the server, that will cause performance issues, since the plugin iterates through the scene geometry to determine the complete set of materials in the scene, and this will be very slow if it needs to keep loading linked pln's.

Also, you can try saving to pla and then loading that pla into ArchiCAD - doing so will purge all the deleted items in the scene, which may speed things up.

If you have a specific scene which is taking a lot time to load/open the Viewport or, pls send me the pla and I will take a closer look.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:32 am

face_off Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:32 am
I just noticed that the latest release (2.16.0.34) is not saving "defaults" (ie. Save As Default is not working). This will be corrected in the next release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby studio3lhd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 pm

studio3lhd Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 pm
Also, the scene scale is changed.
Things such as displacement amounts, scale of proxies, aperture size etc. (I guess every parameter dependent on scale) are huge when opening a scene made with 2.15.
It's no problem at all, just FYI..
2 x TITAN Black,
I7, 32GB RAM.
studio3lhd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby studio3lhd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 pm

studio3lhd Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 pm
face_off wrote:

If it's just the pln on the server, that should be OK (since it will load into the RAM of the PC running ArchiCAD, however if the pln references (has links to) other pln's on the server, that will cause performance issues, since the plugin iterates through the scene geometry to determine the complete set of materials in the scene, and this will be very slow if it needs to keep loading linked pln's.

Also, you can try saving to pla and then loading that pla into ArchiCAD - doing so will purge all the deleted items in the scene, which may speed things up.

If you have a specific scene which is taking a lot time to load/open the Viewport or, pls send me the pla and I will take a closer look.

Paul

Thanks for the tips, will try that asap.
For now, it seems to me that 2.16 simply loads quicker, probably something changed in the specific pln and unrelated to the plugin, but hey, if it works- it works! :)
2 x TITAN Black,
I7, 32GB RAM.
studio3lhd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® for ArchiCAD 2.16 [STABLE]

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:45 am

face_off Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:45 am
This thread is now marked as the STABLE release thread, and will be updated with the latest stable builds. There is a new thread with the latest TEST release (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=44563).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby zahi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:05 pm

zahi Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:05 pm
Hi there,

I am experiencing issue when installing The stable plugin onto the Archicad 18 Solo 3007.

Please see attached screenshot.
Attachments
01.png
Zahi
Win10 Pro| ASUS X99-E WS| EVGA TITAN X OC| 32g Ram| i7 5820k 4.0GHz
zahi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:47 pm

face_off Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:47 pm
I am experiencing issue when installing The stable plugin onto the Archicad 18 Solo 3007.
Hi. That error means that ArchiCAD.exe could not be found in C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ArchiCAD 18\. Do you have ArchiCAD installed somewhere else? If so, specify that location.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD