OctaneRender 2 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for ArchiCAD [OBSOLETE]
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender® for ArchiCAD 2.13 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 am

face_off Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 am
Paul, would it be possible to raise up the maximum chars for material names?
I have done some detailed analysis work on this, and increasing the material name maximum from 50 is possible, however, you will loose all your current default rendertargets and default materials (ie. they will need to be re-created). Does anyone have any objections to this?

Also, I only want to increase the maximum material name length once - so what does it need to be increased to? Keep in mind that the material name is stored in the Octane pin name field - so increasing this from 50 characters will significantly increase the pln save file size (because every Octane node saved in the pln file will take more space).

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:31 am

rappet Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:31 am
face_off wrote:
Paul, would it be possible to raise up the maximum chars for material names?
I have done some detailed analysis work on this, and increasing the material name maximum from 50 is possible, however, you will loose all your current default rendertargets and default materials (ie. they will need to be re-created). Does anyone have any objections to this?

Also, I only want to increase the maximum material name length once - so what does it need to be increased to? Keep in mind that the material name is stored in the Octane pin name field - so increasing this from 50 characters will significantly increase the pln save file size (because every Octane node saved in the pln file will take more space).

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,
I do not object to losing current default rendertargets and materials, because it is happening to often that the material names are too long and a solution for that will be great... Better change it now then later when more users will have more saved defaults.
Right now I have to adjust the OBJ's to often.
About the new length I do not have anything wise to say without taking a good look at the real length names of the materials that are a problem now.
Do you have an indication of what enlarging the namelength will do with the file size of the pln? Are we talking a lot of Megabytes?
Greetings,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:46 am

ArchPrime Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:46 am
I agree - worth loosing existing settings (perhaps advise users to keep the current version of plugin archived with any existing projects in case old projects need to be loaded and worked on again)

Is there a way that filesize can be a function of the actual number of used characters in each material name, or must any unused blanks in name name occupy memory as well?

Perhaps 1024 characters if unused characters to not impose too much of memory penalty? (this length to accommodate possible automated material name creation by other 3rd party software integrated into workflow, and/or a few generations of automated material name suffixes added every time projects are consolidated to archive directory. Perhaps comprehensive metadata about the material might be included by some users in file name for management purposes, with very large material libraries?.

All things being equal, given that memory steadily dropping in price, file size probably seldom an issue.

Is the amount of GRAM required to hold same scene in GPU impacted by this?
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am

ArchPrime Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am
studio3lhd wrote:The scene loading times increase considerably with each new update!
With this latest build it's almost quicker to obtain a usable render than to wait for the whole thing to even open up the viewport! :roll:

I am talking about geometry heavy scenes, but I don't remember loading times were an issue before v2.11

I have not seen obvious load time increases with a pretty complex project I have been working on (on the screaming limit of what ArchiCAD can load at all, with 16GB RAM). And in fact experienced some welcome reduction if 2nd caching process is turned off for view port as implemented a few test versions back.
Possibly hard drive getting full/in need of defragging? Possibly some Windows page faulting involved during loading processes if your RAM is getting full?
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 am

face_off Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 am
Is there a way that filesize can be a function of the actual number of used characters in each material name, or must any unused blanks in name name occupy memory as well?
AC imposes restrictions on how data can be saved to the pln, so even the unused spaces in the material name will be saved.

Perhaps 1024 characters
I was thinking < 100 characters! I haven't seen AC material names > about 30 chars.

Is the amount of GRAM required to hold same scene in GPU impacted by this?
There is no VRAM impact to this - only CPU RAM and pln size.

Do you have an indication of what enlarging the namelength will do with the file size of the pln? Are we talking a lot of Megabytes?
Going from 50 chars to 100 chars would be an additional 250,000 bytes (so not much!) assuming 100 materials in the scene, with each material having 50 pins.

I think the best approach for defaults is to use the ORBX format for default rendertargets (views) and default materials.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BfPuVAK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:59 am

BfPuVAK Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:59 am
Hi!

the longest material name I used (older project) has 46 chars.
For me personally 50 should be enough at the moment.
But don't know how the future will look like - give them perhaps sth. between 75 and 100.

By the way: here a little animation I made 2 weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ua9ETJl-iw
(latest AC18+OctanePlugIn / Direct Lighting SL 65 / rendering time ca. 80h)

Greetings,
Artur
Win 10 Pro 64bit / Intel i7-6700 @ 4.0 GHz / RAM 32GB
2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8GB (+ sometimes a GTX 970)
Archicad 21 4022 GER Full + Octane Render !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7SefSWV98
http://www.youtube.com/user/BfPuVAK/videos
BfPuVAK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® for ArchiCAD 2.16 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:50 am

face_off Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:50 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread.

- Compiled with Octane 2.16.
- Various additions/enhancements to emitters, including addition of "Surface Brightness" and "Cast Illumination" pin. See Octane 2.15 Standalone release notes for details.
- Removed ISO and FStop Imager pins. See Octane 2.15 Standalone release notes for details. Scenes saved with plugin versions prior to 2.16.0.32 will have the exposure converted to the new scale, however your default rendertarget "exposure" will not be converted - so you may need to adjust the default exposure and then "Save a Default"
- Set the minimum proxy scale to 0.00001 (rather than 0) to resolve Octane error
- Proxy host rotation is no longer erroneously applied to grass proxies
- Resolved file copy error during Export Assets process
- Code changes in preparation for Octane 2.20. Due to these changes, this release needs testing prior to being used in production. In particular, make backups of any pln files prior to saving with this version.

The next release (for Octane 2.20) will most likely have the following changes...
- Max Material Name length increased to 100
- Changed the format that Octane data is saved to the pln file. This should result in small pln file sizes, and better on-going compatibility with future Octane versions.
- Material Import and Export have been removed. Instead use Import and Export to the LocalDb

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am

face_off Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with some bug fixes for issues introduced in 2.16.0.32:

- Fixed Import and Export Material not working
- Fixed issue where imported ORBX materials with embedded texturemaps where not correctly saving the texturemap to the pln
- When exporting to OCS/ORBX, material nodes are now named as per their respective ArchiCAD material name

I am having upload bandwidth issues at the moment, so pls wait an hour prior to downloading.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:33 pm

face_off Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:33 pm
I have re-uploaded the AC16 installer to fix an issue related to the generation of scatter and grass files. Release number is unchanged.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:44 pm

rappet Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:44 pm
Thanx for the update... :P
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext