Scattering within Archicad

Forums: Scattering within Archicad
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Scattering within Archicad

Postby rappet » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm

rappet Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm
Hi Paul,

The scattering plugin is supergreat! I love it.
For making green, pebbles and stuff like that.. no problems at all.

When scattering objects that may not interact it is more difficult... maybe in future there could be an inpu for minimum distance betweeen the scattering objetcs?
In the WIP I posted this image that shwos an example where the objects better not interact.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34271

greetings, Jeroen
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scattering within Archicad

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 pm

face_off Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 pm
When scattering objects that may not interact it is more difficult... maybe in future there could be an inpu for minimum distance betweeen the scattering objetcs?

I agree - this would be a good feature. The code is not that complex - but I was concerned with the potential performance - generating scattering with this method would get exponentially slower the more transforms you generate (because each new instance needs to "find" so space not too close to any other instance). And you might get a situation where there is actually no space left, so the scatter generator goes on forever. But certainly a good idea - and I'll look into implementing it into the plugin at some point.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Scattering within Archicad

Postby Scottiefeng » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Scottiefeng Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:30 pm
face_off wrote:

I agree - this would be a good feature. The code is not that complex - but I was concerned with the potential performance - generating scattering with this method would get exponentially slower the more transforms you generate (because each new instance needs to "find" so space not too close to any other instance). And you might get a situation where there is actually no space left, so the scatter generator goes on forever. But certainly a good idea - and I'll look into implementing it into the plugin at some point.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

This scattering function is really great. Looking forward to your further polishing it.
Scottiefeng
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD