NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby Weezer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 am

Weezer Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 am
Yep, me too. Super impressed with Octane X so far, but any improvements in stability will be welcomed!
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cjadams » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm

cjadams Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Is it safe to update to c4d R23 with PR1? by chance?
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nibbler » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:38 pm

nibbler Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:38 pm
C4D R23 support. Yes, please ;)

Thanks!!!!
Several MacPros + Win PC • Cinema 4d • Octane Mac & Octane Win
nibbler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mdfmuse » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 pm

mdfmuse Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 pm
According to Maxon's web developer site at:

https://developers.maxon.net/?p=3633

they state the following:

"Concerning plugins binary compatibility, plug-ins that were built for S22/R21 will not work in R23 and they need to be rebuilt, upon bringing the changes needed to compile against the new API."

Indeed I installed Octane X Metal to the R23 directory, and it does not show up inside C4D R23.

Any ideas when an update might be released?

Thank you!
mdfmuse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RegSquires » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:47 am

RegSquires Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:47 am
I have to say I am really, really enjoying the render quality of Octane X. It really has a very agreeable look and is very easy to use. The quality of light and the ability for it to penetrate crevices seems to beat other renderers in my opinion. The interface too is very snappy and reacts really well to changes. C4D integration seems solid and I have picked it up in about a week or so. I’m no master in the slightest but the balancing of render settings in Path Tracing seems pretty intuitive and easy to get you head around. I am using a MacBook Pro from 2018 OSX Catalina with an Radeon Pro WX 9100 card in a Sonnet EGPU. My usual render workflow has relied on Cycles but it tends to be very chugging on CPU.

However (and yes the caveat is this is beta software) I am having a lot of crashes and this is putting me off. It seems the crashes are random, I switched on adaptive sampling once and beachballed, moved a triplanar node and it hung, changed a gradient slider, etc and yet they tend to happen frequently enough for me to really question whether I could use this for production. I recently downloaded Standalone Demo PR2 and this seemed faster and a bit more stable ( you’d hope so). But the big takeaway for me is I am treating it with kid gloves when I am using it. I don’t feel confident enough to really be flying with it. I am considering a PC which I am sure would be much more tried and tested and would be able to access the new Nvidia cards.

Also I download the Blender version but it doesn’t work. It comes with its own Blender but when I use the viewport to render nothing happens and I get a wierd message it can’t access a server.

So really looking forward to the update to PR2. It’s such a great renderer, I just wish it was a little more stable
RegSquires
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby madebo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:33 am

madebo Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:33 am
I have tried the standalone version on a macbook pro (mid 015) with Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and it has not worked. Do you know if they will have support in the future? Thank you
madebo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pjano » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:07 pm

pjano Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:07 pm
Hi
I was waiting for Octane for Metal a long time. Now I am experiencing issues with the simplest tasks like adding a background image or using shadow catcher (no shadows). I have struggled with constant crashes when doing anything related to that. I also read that other users on Macs had similar problems with the shadow catcher not working properly. I really hope that this will be addressed soon. Maybe we, the users, were pressuring too hard on the release date. I'd rather wait a bit longer and have a less buggy plugin. I am still thankful that is there, I just wish those basic options would be working.
Thank You
Piotr
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon RX 5700 XT (external GPU Akitio Node)
pjano
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Stathman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Stathman Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 pm
Hi!
I just discovered that I can't use my 5700XT for denoise.
This results a much longer render time.
Is it a known issue?
Will it be solved in a future update?

Thanks, keep up the good work!
Stathman

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:58 am

bepeg4d Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:58 am
@ AnaSugar: do you see your GPU listed in the info bar in viewport?
Check to have updated to the latest Catalina 10.15.6 version, to have the latest Apple Metal driver.

@ madebo: under Catalina, only AMD Navi and Vega are supported, but with the upcoming Mac Os 11 Big Sur, with new Apple Metal driver, OctaneX is going to also support Intel Skylake, and AMD Polaris GPUs.
Unfortunately, the first MacBook Pro with Intel Skylake CPU should be from 2016, so I’m not sure if your Mac will be supported :roll:
Note that you can already add one or more of the supported AMD GPUs (like Radeon VII or 5700XT) via eGPU box with Thunderbolt 3, natively supported in both Catalina and Big Sur.

@ Stathman: in OctaneX, AI Denoiser is performed by the CPU, not the GPU, so it is a bit slower to calculate, but it does not affect GPU memory, and does not need to select a GPU for it.
Note that you need a CPU from 2015 or newer, to have the necessary instructions to perform AI denoiser.

About c4doctane PR1, for stability, please avoid to use the Node.Graph to edit your materials as much as possible, and prefer to use the Attribute Editor window for now.

Happy Mac GPU Rendering,
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Weezer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 am

Weezer Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 am
Hi bepeg4d. Just wondering, will we see PR1.1 before the Big Sur release?
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery