NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby Weezer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:01 pm

Weezer Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:01 pm
Feels like development has slowed to a crawl. The denoising issue still hasn't been fixed, even though (IIRC) it was working in the build before PR7.
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Weezer » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:11 pm

Weezer Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:11 pm
Not terribly forthcoming with information are they?
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huhaa » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:59 am

huhaa Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:59 am
Just registered to make a short confirmation post here:
I upgraded to Big Sur (could only install macOS 11.2 (20D64)) to try out Octane X (Version 22.2 (22.2 2020-12-15)) in combination with Blender.

Unfortunately neither the Octane X Demo PR1 nor the Server works:
Demo is crashing immediately.
Server is starting up but crashes when opening up blender for octane. If you open it up the other way around (blender first, then server) blender does neither recognize the server nor allows to see log, start rendering, etc.

Looking into the mac console both apps crash with a segmentation fault:
Code: Select all
"Service exited due to SIGSEGV | sent by exc handler..."

I would be very happy if this issue would be solved, as there actually is not a single way to use an eGPU in combination with Mac OS X and Blender at the moment.
huhaa

Postby davidjenne » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:37 pm

davidjenne Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:37 pm
I'm trying to test out Octane X P7 on a Mac Mini with M1 chip and Big Sur 11.2. I can't even get the plugin to load in C4D. As a matter of fact, the only plugins running at all at this point are those that are part of GreyscaleGorilla+ . Nothing else will load. Does anyone else having any success in getting Octane to run on an M1 Mac ? Thanks!
davidjenne

Postby Weezer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Weezer Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:13 pm
So the end of another week, no PR8, no updates, no news. Business as usual then
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby alan_alves » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 pm

alan_alves Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 pm
atoyuser1 wrote:Currently running C4D PR6 on Catalina, should I upgrade to Big Sur for the PR7 update? I'm apprehensive to upgrade whole system in case things slow down

Did you get any positive result?
alan_alves
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby atoyuser1 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:18 pm

atoyuser1 Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:18 pm
alan_alves wrote:
atoyuser1 wrote:Currently running C4D PR6 on Catalina, should I upgrade to Big Sur for the PR7 update? I'm apprehensive to upgrade whole system in case things slow down

Did you get any positive result?

TO be honest, since there is no benchmark test for Mac, I really don't know. I would not recommend upgrading to Big Sur just because of all the non-C4D problems I've been having
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cjadams » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 pm

cjadams Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Unfortunately the screenshots are not complete... have you disabled also the Tonemap option for the Intel GPU?

ciao Beppe

Beppe On mac OS .. where is the preference file for those settings? I think mine is read only.. or.. maybe it is because i'm using the new.c4d project trick.. perhaps.. either way.. my settings seem to be read only and each time i restart i need to "Uncheck" the intel gpu each time.. its soooo very annoying.!
Where in the os are those prefs at.. so i can kill the file and hopefully it will then stay off.
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:00 am

bepeg4d Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:00 am
cjadams wrote:
bepeg4d wrote:Unfortunately the screenshots are not complete... have you disabled also the Tonemap option for the Intel GPU?

ciao Beppe

Beppe On mac OS .. where is the preference file for those settings? I think mine is read only.. or.. maybe it is because i'm using the new.c4d project trick.. perhaps.. either way.. my settings seem to be read only and each time i restart i need to "Uncheck" the intel gpu each time.. its soooo very annoying.!
Where in the os are those prefs at.. so i can kill the file and hopefully it will then stay off.

Hi,
please, try to delete the oct.dat file, at the following path:
/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences/Maxon/Maxon Cinema 4D R2X_XXXXXX/prefs/oct.dat

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Rainbow-3D » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:27 am

Rainbow-3D Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:27 am
Hi,
unfortunately at my work place all the people must work only on mac, so the boss bought for me a macpro 2019 with an amd radeon pro w5700x 16gb. Still using Catalina, "they" want wait before jump to big sur, so, I'm with lightwave and PR6. It works, slow, but works. My problem is with renders at resolution more than fullhd, for example, if I render a 2500x2000 the image has some rectangular areas with different luminosity. This happens using denoise or not, no difference. I want ask if PR7 has resolved this problem, at least without denoise (I knows there are some problems with denoise). If yes I push to upgrade to big sur.
Thank you
Gianluca
Win 7 x64 | Asus P8P67-M - i72600K | 16 GB RAM | 1 x nVidia RTX 2800
Win 11 | i7 13700K | 64 GB RAM | 1 x nVidia RTX 4090
Rainbow-3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery