NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby sszyszka » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 pm

sszyszka Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 pm
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, I can't track it down. Will it be possible to use multiple eGPUs? I really kinda love the idea of my 13" MBP with 4 Pro VII's attached...

-Seb
http://sebastianszyszka.com
sszyszka

Postby cjadams » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm

cjadams Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm
This Card:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-vii
Though its very similar in specs to the Original VII and still Vega 20.. BUT its like 1800 bucks.. its their workstation equivalent just released in may.
No idea if they tested it though..you could get like 2 or 3 OG VII's for the price though.
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Goldorak Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 pm
sszyszka wrote:I'm sorry if this has already been covered, I can't track it down. Will it be possible to use multiple eGPUs? I really kinda love the idea of my 13" MBP with 4 Pro VII's attached...

-Seb

Yes, should work fine! I tested with 4x R7 on an iMac Pro for many months.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cjadams » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:11 pm

cjadams Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:11 pm
So do a comparison without RTX on. and lets see more likely render times..

Leandersson wrote:
Goldorak wrote:
Leandersson wrote:Super exciting and congratulations on the release!

Got a question.
I was curious and wanted to render the exact same C4D scene on my PC with two RTX 2070 Super and then using my 2019 MBP with a Vega 56 EGPU to see the speed difference.
Very far from a fair comparison since the PC setup got about 439OB and the Vega 56 currently got around 117OB. So the speed difference should be around 4x, probably more now since it's early days.

I rendered and the result of the final images are identical down to the pixel, very impressive.
However, the PC rendered the image in 2:15 and it took the MBP 75:12. So PC was around 33x faster.

Is this due to the PC being much more powerful with more memory and better CPU or is an EGPU solution just that much slower?
Guessing there's a lot of lost performance with EGPUs.

Was RTX on and did you have to go out of core on macOS? Those two factors could easily affect speed depending on the scene and kernel settings used.

Don't think I went out of core but RTX was indeed active, that's probably why.
Thanks for the reply and congrats again, really excited to be able to bring Octane on the road.
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby james_conkle » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:17 pm

james_conkle Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:17 pm
In regards to multiple eGPU - you might want to wait before adding more than 2 eGPU since both the iMac Pro and MacBook Pro only have two thunderbolt controllers. That means once you go over two eGPU (or plug 2 eGPU in the same controller) you're splitting the bandwidth.

https://barefeats.com/iMac-Pro-Four-GPUs.html

It'll work but real world performance might take a hit.
Octane C4D Plugin 2021.1 / C4D R25.015
UNIT 0: 2080ti / 6700K / 64GB / 500w
UNIT 1: 2x 3090 / 3970x / 128GB ECC / 1600w
UNIT 2: 5500M / 9980HK / 32GB / 95w
RNDR Artist Calculator
james_conkle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sszyszka » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:39 pm

sszyszka Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:39 pm
Goldorak wrote:Yes, should work fine! I tested with 4x R7 on an iMac Pro for many months.

Fantastic! Thanks! Did you notice any performance hit with 4 vs. 2 as james_conkle mentions? (Assuming you tested with fewer than 4)

-Seb
sszyszka

Postby cjadams » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 pm

cjadams Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 pm
The good news is that with compute versus playing video games the amount of data that's being shuffled is a lot less than trying to keep up with frame rates. So in theory we should be able to do fairly well but not lose a lot of performance even if we use up two cards on both buses. I think any comments from people who've actually done it would be good. I don't have enough GPUs here to test. I remember this being part of a discussion on bandwidth limitations with the eGPUs on a forum some other place (egpu.io) maybe...I can't find the link at the moment.
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sszyszka » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 pm

sszyszka Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 pm
cjadams wrote:The good news is that with compute versus playing video games the amount of data that's being shuffled is a lot less than trying to keep up with frame rates. So in theory we should be able to do fairly well but not lose a lot of performance even if we use up two cards on both buses. I think any comments from people who've actually done it would be good. I don't have enough GPUs here to test. I remember this being part of a discussion on bandwidth limitations with the eGPUs on a forum some other place (egpu.io) maybe...I can't find the link at the moment.

That's one of the things that crossed my mind. I do think I recall something along those lines being posted on egpu.io, but I don't recall whether a distinction was made in how the GPUs are being utilized. I'm no expert, but my guess is the bus utilization for compute is more "bursty" than gaming.

Being a Mac user I've had little interest in GPU rendering and am coming into all this way behind the curve. So if anyone is inclined to correct me, have at it. I'm here to learn.

-Seb
sszyszka

Postby cjadams » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 am

cjadams Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 am
Yeah.. there is a slight learning curve.. I'm still figuring out if I need to have monitors attached and or ghost headless dongle or not..
I think most pro programs like DaVinci and RS/Octane seem to just work and find the devices. But would be good to know if that's needed or not.
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby joenyc » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:14 am

joenyc Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:14 am
Goldorak wrote:Juanjo is updating octane X studio for houdini, it will be on the list shortly. Sorry about that. The enterprise build is there.

Is there an estimate for when Houdini X plugin will be released for Studio? Wondering if it's worth upgrading to Enterprise to get access if it's going to be a while. (Related: is it possible to upgrade a subscription, or do I need to cancel one and buy the other? I couldn't find a way to do it on the site.)
joenyc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery