Pineapple 3d scan

Forums: Pineapple 3d scan
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Pineapple 3d scan

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm

itsallgoode9 Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Have been working on learning Reality Capture recently and here's a Pineapple I did in a few hours yesterday. I've been struggling a bit to understand their texture resolution output workflow so the textures start to be a little blurry at the 100% 8k image res but honestly studio photography with a $50k Hassleblad looks just as blurry when pixel peeping, so...oh well.

Being newish to photogrammetry , I learned you really do have to know what you're doing with materials and lighting, unless you want it to looks like a porcelain version of what you scanned. Previously, when seeing other's renders I thought you wouldn't have to do much with materials since there is so much accurate detail in the scanned model and texture but I was wrong! I ended up using a mix material of glossy and SSS for this (it very much ended up looking porcelain when I was only using glossy)

(Please click on image to see the full 8k res for detail)
Attachments
Pineapple8k.jpg
Pineapple8k_Top.jpg
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Pineapple 3d scan

Postby showme » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:00 am

showme Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:00 am
Came out quite nicely.

And indeed one could think the information is in there if you take the pictures... but obviously you're just capturing a color map with reflections/lights and shadows baked in but your photos don't have any actual material properties in the metadata nor do they contain any breaks between the different materials in those photos. So if you put this flat map on an object which is 100% metallic across the whole object it will be inaccurate. I've seen scanned maps being added to the emissive slot in other renderers in order to step away from parameters like diffuse, specular, roughness, etc that will internally change the energy conservation ratios.
showme
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery