Some more exterior views

Forums: Some more exterior views
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Some more exterior views

Postby kubo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 am

kubo Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 am
yeap, that's just it, I think those would look amazing!
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Postby enricocerica » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 am

enricocerica Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 am
Mateuet wrote:Hi enricocerica, first of all: your exteriors are getting more realistic every time, i'm learning a lot of you, thx!
At the moment I'm trying to make a realistic a carpet with Pflow myself.
The particles are a group of 4 "hairs" wich are themselves made from 4 planes, so the group is 16 planes in total.
I've instanced the group elements 200000 times,so i have about 3.2 million polygons for the carpet.
To make them exportable i made a mesh of them via the "mesher"
At the moment of rendering Octane has no problems loading the scene but it seems that exporting from MAX is a big problem...The scene exports in about 40 min.
Exporting texture coordinates seems to be the big issue.
Do you have any knowledge about how I could shorten the export times?

Thx Mateuet

Unfortunately I have no experience with MAX, so it's really difficult for me to give you any advise. For now this is indeed a problem as you have really huge volumes, in such a situation once instances will be available with Octane it will for sure reduce the pain. I think the only way to partially solve that is to use plane with opacity map to render on a single plane several hairs instead of creating all of them with geometry, this could really give some nice results, if you have a look to this thread http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3226 you'll see two images with a carpet made this way and this result is achieved with only 32000 tris and using directlighting, I'm sure the result would be better with pathtracing, I used the same principle for the grass on the images in this post.
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Mateuet » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Mateuet Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:31 pm
enricocerica wrote:
Mateuet wrote:Hi enricocerica, first of all: your exteriors are getting more realistic every time, i'm learning a lot of you, thx!
At the moment I'm trying to make a realistic a carpet with Pflow myself.
The particles are a group of 4 "hairs" wich are themselves made from 4 planes, so the group is 16 planes in total.
I've instanced the group elements 200000 times,so i have about 3.2 million polygons for the carpet.
To make them exportable i made a mesh of them via the "mesher"
At the moment of rendering Octane has no problems loading the scene but it seems that exporting from MAX is a big problem...The scene exports in about 40 min.
Exporting texture coordinates seems to be the big issue.
Do you have any knowledge about how I could shorten the export times?

Thx Mateuet

Unfortunately I have no experience with MAX, so it's really difficult for me to give you any advise. For now this is indeed a problem as you have really huge volumes, in such a situation once instances will be available with Octane it will for sure reduce the pain. I think the only way to partially solve that is to use plane with opacity map to render on a single plane several hairs instead of creating all of them with geometry, this could really give some nice results, if you have a look to this thread http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3226 you'll see two images with a carpet made this way and this result is achieved with only 32000 tris and using directlighting, I'm sure the result would be better with pathtracing, I used the same principle for the grass on the images in this post.

Yeah i think opacity maps is the way to go, i've tried opacity maps with a carpet here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3285 and i'm pretty happy with the results but i'm having trouble controling the scattering as you can see at the edges of the carpet, i suppose it's a question of experience and good plugins.

Thx for your answer,

Keep it up, your work is awesome!
Antec 300 Casing/Windows 7 ultimate 64/i7 920/ ASUS p6T/ 6GB RAM/ Sparkle GTX470 1.2GB & Asus GeForce 8800GTs 512mb
Mateuet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery