How to create a Spectron (Volumetric Procedural Light)

Forums: How to create a Spectron (Volumetric Procedural Light)
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

How to create a Spectron (Volumetric Procedural Light)

Postby spartan00j » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:53 am

spartan00j Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:53 am
Hey Paul, how do I use the volumetric Procedural Light feature?

Thanks
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to create a Spectron (Volumetric Procedural Light)

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:16 am

face_off Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:16 am
I think you would need to do this in Octane Standalone, save as an ORBX and then use that ORBX as a proxy in the Poser plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby spartan00j » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 pm

spartan00j Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 pm
face_off wrote:I think you would need to do this in Octane Standalone, save as an ORBX and then use that ORBX as a proxy in the Poser plugin.

Paul

Hi Paul, I finally got it. I was forgetting to make a placement note before the geometry out node.

Also, is there not a way yet to move the proxy when it's in the plug-in? I can't move what I see in the viewport by moving the model to which the geometry out node is attached. Is there no way to add transitions to the proxy?
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 am

face_off Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 am
Hi

Unfortunately all ORBX files are positioned at the center of the scene (0, 0, 0). This is due to Poser providing geometry in "World" coordinates (so all vertices are relative to the center of the scene, rather than having an offset which could be put in an Octane Placement node). To get around this, you can add a Placement node between your Mesh and Geometry Out node in the ORBX file and set the coordinates that you want the proxy there. Another option is that you get set the proxy host mesh item in Poser to "Scatter" (instead of Proxy), and use a single transform in the scatter CSV which contains the offset you want on the proxy mesh. I agree that neither option is super user-friendly, but you are starting to hit the limits of what is possible with the plugin in Poser.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby spartan00j » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:47 pm

spartan00j Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:47 pm
face_off wrote:Hi

Unfortunately all ORBX files are positioned at the center of the scene (0, 0, 0). This is due to Poser providing geometry in "World" coordinates (so all vertices are relative to the center of the scene, rather than having an offset which could be put in an Octane Placement node). To get around this, you can add a Placement node between your Mesh and Geometry Out node in the ORBX file and set the coordinates that you want the proxy there. Another option is that you get set the proxy host mesh item in Poser to "Scatter" (instead of Proxy), and use a single transform in the scatter CSV which contains the offset you want on the proxy mesh. I agree that neither option is super user-friendly, but you are starting to hit the limits of what is possible with the plugin in Poser.

Thanks

Paul

Okay, but I was just wondering if is there any way to access the transitions from within the plug-in if I use the proxy. I had thought if there was a way to access the XYZ trans and rotation or possibly even scale within the plugin itself. Maybe I can attach a dial to it. Using the control with dial feature.
And I can keyframe the dials within poser. And Export animation will save those keyframed transitions.
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:54 pm

face_off Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:54 pm
spartan00j wrote:I had thought if there was a way to access the XYZ trans and rotation or possibly even scale within the plugin itself.
Yes, it would be amazing if the plugin could do that - and it's the way I originally intended the proxy system to work, but unfortunately I could not get it to work correctly. You can animation a mesh in Poser, then export to ORBX, then open the ORBX in Standalone and add the Geometry Out node (and connect it to the exported ABC file) and this use that ORBX as the proxy. But it's not as easy as using dials I agree.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby spartan00j » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:48 pm

spartan00j Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:48 pm
face_off wrote:
spartan00j wrote:I had thought if there was a way to access the XYZ trans and rotation or possibly even scale within the plugin itself.
Yes, it would be amazing if the plugin could do that - and it's the way I originally intended the proxy system to work, but unfortunately I could not get it to work correctly. You can animation a mesh in Poser, then export to ORBX, then open the ORBX in Standalone and add the Geometry Out node (and connect it to the exported ABC file) and this use that ORBX as the proxy. But it's not as easy as using dials I agree.

Paul

Huzzah Paul, I figured out how to animate a volumetric Procedural Light in Poser also how to animate it as well using Poser within the standalone. Which is normally impossible.

I used a technique on this thread.
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=78540

I wanted the ability to parent the Volumetric Procedural Light to something like a geometry or figure. But when the Standalone Imports and animation there are no transitions on anything. Except for one thing which is in that post.
The cameras!
So basically I parented a camera to the figure's hand. And bake that animation in. Because octane will not export that camera unless it's parented to the universe. Once I baked the animation. I unparented the camera from the hand and to the universe and poser. I hide everything else and then just exported the camera animation. When I opened it in octane. I used the trick within that thread and just have the light transitions attached to the camera transitions. There are some slight adjustments you may have to do to put it directly in the place that you wanted. But with all things considered it's the best solution. Especially since you cannot really animate that camera easily in a standalone itself.
Screenshot 2023-04-17 085314.png

So with all that being said, Paul. Is there a way to export an object out with just a camera animation tag that octane will read as if it was a camera. Like if I have two cubes in a scene bouncing around. Instead of using the method I just developed. Is there a way to tell the plug-in to view this object as a camera so it can export out the animation that octane can read?

I ask because if I have a ton of ceiling lights I want to have lights on. I don't want to have to create tons of cameras and attach them to whatever cable I'm swinging in the scene.

Thanks
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:45 am

face_off Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:45 am
So with all that being said, Paul. Is there a way to export an object out with just a camera animation tag that octane will read as if it was a camera. Like if I have two cubes in a scene bouncing around. Instead of using the method I just developed. Is there a way to tell the plug-in to view this object as a camera so it can export out the animation that octane can read?
I don't think this is possible, sorry. When you export a scene animation to ORBX/OCS, the Octane API saves the camera position/transform as an animated transform, and removes all geometry and light transforms and just saves their vertices in world space. I think that this point you are hitting the limits of what can be done in Poser with the Octane plugin and may need to look at a host app with more controls, such as Modo, Blender, C4d, etc.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser