Water/Sweat/Oil Skin addons

Forums: Water/Sweat/Oil Skin addons
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Water/Sweat/Oil Skin addons

Postby Nephanor » Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 am

Nephanor Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 am
Anyone had any luck, or know of any tutorials to make sweat droplets on skin easy, or giving a skin an oiled look? I have seen the recent addon for Daz, but was hoping to see something like it for Octane, maybe even one that will work for both Poser and Daz.
Nephanor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Water/Sweat/Oil Skin addons

Postby Nephanor » Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Nephanor Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 pm
Okay, I am going to give my thoughts on how this could be accomplished in an abstract way, but not the actual detailed ways, as I still can't work those out in my head.

Wet
This one is actually simple, provided you are just talking simple non-displacement glossiness, all you do is add a "gloss map" for the glossy part of the skin. So this one is simple. But....

Oil/Sweat
Basically you are creating a 'layer' over the skin. The layer adds a small displacement of either droplets or a thin film, which then gets the specular water/oil texture added to it. Problem is, how do you add that layer over top of the existing skin? The first thought I had on this is basically make a duplicate of the figure, and 'blank' out all textures but the skin, which you then apply the film texture to. But this feels like it will be a pain for the engine. Not only that, I am hoping to see a simple, "just add it in" possibility that I may not have though of.

Thoughts?
Nephanor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am

wimvdb Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am
If you have Octane 2020, you can add a layer directly.
In Octane 4 you can create a mix material - use your normal skin node in material 1 and your specular layer for oil/water in material 2. Use the value operator to manage the strength.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nephanor » Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Nephanor Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 pm
wimvdb wrote:If you have Octane 2020, you can add a layer directly.
In Octane 4 you can create a mix material - use your normal skin node in material 1 and your specular layer for oil/water in material 2. Use the value operator to manage the strength.

Don't have Octane 2020. I paid for 3/ 4 and am not a fan of the whole subscription model, would rather just have the software without having to keep paying for it. But if it has layers, I might consider it, but I would prefer a straight purchase option. If I had known a few years ago when I bought it that they were going to go subscription, I might have not gotten it and gone a different path. After investing this much money, I feel cheated.

The Mix material doesn't work, I tried. At .5, the skin is half transparent, and if you make the skin less transparent you lose the specular effect entirely.
Nephanor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Sun May 31, 2020 8:47 am

wimvdb Sun May 31, 2020 8:47 am
You are right.\
I checked on an old wet skin material and I used not a specular, but a glossy material as second material.

wetmat.jpg

With this result

carlypool.jpg

Needs finetuning, but is a start.

Now I use a specular layer in octane 2020
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nephanor » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 am

Nephanor Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 am
wimvdb wrote:If you have Octane 2020, you can add a layer directly.

Yeah, I know, thread necromancy, but now that I have the new version is there any good tutorials for using the layers?
Nephanor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser