Wall issues.

Forums: Wall issues.
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Wall issues.

Postby Nox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 am

Nox Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 am
Hello,

I'm using Octane 4 and I'm experiencing a problem with the walls. Please refer to the following image;

1. It's a normal, flat wall yet there's strange light circles on it, including various other artefacts.
2. The beams on the right are going through the wall and where it happens there's a mad amount of light bleeding through it.
3. The ceiling is touching the vertical walls and the scene should be properly closed yet, as you can see, there's light emanating from almost all of the seems.

This is the second scene that has had this issue in a row and it's always just walls. everything else is fine and I am unable to recreate the problem on anything but the walls.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Wall issues.

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 am

face_off Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 am
Try moving the wall 1mm so it is not that the center of the scene.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Nox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:31 am

Nox Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:31 am
Tried moving it, tried changing textures, tried many a thing. It still looks like something is applying some kind of odd smoothing on the flat surface. Here's an image with the walls in darker diffuse texture. The one on the left is still in light blue.

Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 am

Nox Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 am
Hey Paul, I went through all the settings again and it turns out it's Ray epsilon that was the problem. I had it set to zero. Setting it to "1e-05" fixes the problem. Not the first time that setting has caused me trouble either.

Sorry for the bother but I do hope this'll help someone in the future. Cheers.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Erick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Erick Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:54 pm
I had some strange occurrences with flat surfaces, where the mash density was quite low, quite often, too.
Beside the ray epsilon setting, I most of the time forgot to uncheck "Smoothing" in the material tree. :oops:
You can get some quite funny and unexpected results with this setting either :mrgreen:
Erick
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Nox Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42 pm
Erick wrote:I had some strange occurrences with flat surfaces, where the mash density was quite low, quite often, too.
Beside the ray epsilon setting, I most of the time forgot to uncheck "Smoothing" in the material tree. :oops:
You can get some quite funny and unexpected results with this setting either :mrgreen:

That was my first thought too. Because the effect really does look like smoothing gone wild. Although, I did forget that both Poser and Octane have smoothing settings so I'm quite certain one of them was on at all times.
I set Ray to zero because there was a point I couldn't find 1e-05, which is the only setting that doesn't cause adverse effects. Setting it above zero causes all the figures with displacement maps to show black rings at each point they interact with another object, while setting it to zero causes...well, this apparently.

But I'll keep this in mind in the future as well. Thank you, Erick.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser