Default Specular Texture Power

Forums: Default Specular Texture Power
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Default Specular Texture Power

Postby Khuri » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 pm

Khuri Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 pm
Hi,

is there a way to change the default specular power value for a texture.

I know in the config file is the CONVERT_SPECULAR_MAPS_THRESHOLD which decides wether to use a grey color node (with GLOSSY_SPECULAR as value) or to use the texture map from Poser.

The power of the texture node is always 1.
A lot of specular maps look super bright and shiny with a value of 1, so I have to edit their power after converting. This gets a bit tedious if you have multiple models with 20-30 nodes each.

Is it possible for a future version to have a default setting like GLOSSY_SPECULAR that is used as default power for converted texture maps instead?
Or maybe I'm on a wrong path and there is already an option to change this on a wide scale?

Thanks!
Khuri
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Default Specular Texture Power

Postby wimvdb » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm

wimvdb Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm
Khuri wrote:Hi,

is there a way to change the default specular power value for a texture.

I know in the config file is the CONVERT_SPECULAR_MAPS_THRESHOLD which decides wether to use a grey color node (with GLOSSY_SPECULAR as value) or to use the texture map from Poser.

The power of the texture node is always 1.
A lot of specular maps look super bright and shiny with a value of 1, so I have to edit their power after converting. This gets a bit tedious if you have multiple models with 20-30 nodes each.

Is it possible for a future version to have a default setting like GLOSSY_SPECULAR that is used as default power for converted texture maps instead?
Or maybe I'm on a wrong path and there is already an option to change this on a wide scale?

Thanks!

I changed the GLOSSY_INDEX to 1.5. It changes the IOR of the glossy node to 1.5 which is similar to what PBR nodes have.
It makes the default materials less shiny and gets better results with specular maps. Of course you still have to adapt in some cases, but much less as in the old situation.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser