(Many) Upgrading questions from v3 to v4

Forums: (Many) Upgrading questions from v3 to v4
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

(Many) Upgrading questions from v3 to v4

Postby AlexGTSArtist » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:21 pm

AlexGTSArtist Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:21 pm
First of all thanks for this long awaited and wanted release!!!

I've a few questions that I think can be helpful to everybody during these days

- License questions
If I deactivate my license and upgrade it to v4 can I still use the v3 version (in case I'll have problems with the v4)?

Tech questions:
I'm working on a project with Octane v3.
- Will all the setting (textures, renders settings, engine settings) be transferred to the v4 version after the upgrade installation? Yes by wimvdb
- Where are the new settings located? Especially spectral AI denoiser and AI light? AI light settings are toggles in Kernel, AI Denoiser settings are in Imager (but do restart the render) by wimvdb
- What are good settings for them (denoiser and light)? Will they blur the final rendering?
- What are the most important settings to enable to make a render much faster than v3?
- Known issues? Maybe a link to an already open topic about this

Please share your knowledge (even if it's partial) so I can update my questions with answers.
Last edited by AlexGTSArtist on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlexGTSArtist
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: (Many) Upgrading questions from v3 to v4

Postby wimvdb » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:03 pm

wimvdb Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:03 pm
Not sure about the licensing, I think the V4 licensing if valid for v3 too,. But do not take my word for it.

All settings are taken over. But a scene save in v4 cannot be read with Octane v3. So it is a one way street in that respect.

AI light settings are toggles in the Kernel

AI Denoiser settings are in Imager (but do restart the render)

The more complicated light sets, the better they work. With simple light settings there is not much difference turning it on or off.
Denoiser so far did not make a difference for me. I need to experiment further to see when it kicks in.

Settings for faster rendering - not sure yet.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Seaking406 Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 pm
I did the update from V3 to V4 without a hitch. Loaded up a previous V3 Poser scene that took 27 minutes to render, with V4 that same file took 22 minutes in all.. So it is faster, nice!

As for the various additions and improvements, I haven't checked them out yet... they might not apply to the type of work I'm doing but I do appreciate the speed up in rendering.

Cheers
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AlexGTSArtist » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:37 pm

AlexGTSArtist Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:37 pm
Thanks wimvdb and Seaking406!

Some unanswered questions are left:
- License questions
If I deactivate my license and upgrade it to v4 can I still use the v3 version (in case I'll have problems with the v4)?

Tech
- What are good settings for them (denoiser and light)? Will they blur the final rendering?
- What are the most important settings to enable to make a render much faster than v3?
- Known issues? Maybe a link to an already open topic about this
AlexGTSArtist
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:36 am

Seaking406 Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:36 am
I don't have the full answers but maybe I can shed some light until someone more knowledgeable with the software can fill in the blanks..

The v4 setup works great out of the box after installation. My previous files load properly and with the original v3 settings used. My default settings stayed the same so I did not have to set up the various parameters (lighting, exposure, camera etc etc...) on a new project. You won't even notice too much of a difference... I finished a v3 project and rendered it before switching everything to v4 and was able to continue on with the same project as if nothing changed...

Except for the speed.. dang, I am STILL impressed how much faster this works. My work flow is that once I have finished posing in Poser, and then send it to Octane for rendering, I could get away with about 3 minutes of rendering on a simple 2 or 3 character scene. Though Octane states that the whole render would take 27 minutes to complete, for my work flow, anything above 3 to 5 minutes gives me good enough results... And now with v4, it's cut down quite dramatically and more noticeably is that the scene renders even more smoothly, cleanly in shorter time. I send the saved PNG to Photoshop for post work while the next image is rendering. By the time I'm done with PS the next image is ready to roll out of the renderer.

Not sure about the lighting as I always use the lighting from Red_Specc and their skin shaders. No noticeable changes there..

I think that the default settings for the denoiser (where it is) is set up nicely from the onset... you can notice the difference.

Just to give you an anecdotal idea how much better V4 is, I was looking to increase my video card setup. Currently, I have a 1080 Ti and an original Titan X video cards in my system. I wanted to swap out the Titan for another 1080 Ti but couldn't find one that was affordable (bought my first one for $700 CDN and can't find another one now for less than $1200 CDN... But with the V4 speed improvement, I think I'm good where I am now with my video cards.

I don't think you would have any reasons to go back to v3... v4 is very stable, fast and as always, a joy to work with once you get the basics. I don't use Octane to it's fullest potential by any means, but I couldn't do without now..

A quick thanks to the creator for such a great piece of kit ;)

Cheers
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser