OctaneRender 4 for Poser [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 4 for Poser [TEST and STABLE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 4 for Poser [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:18 pm

face_off Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:18 pm
I have posted the Octane 2018.1 build at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=71057. If there are future Octane 4 builds, they will still be posted in this thread.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 am

Ken1171 Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 am
face_off wrote:You said you were only using PRB materials in Poser - so what conversion rules do you use for converting this materials to Octane materials.

Hmm, I see your point. Cycles uses Diffuse/Roughness/Metallic/Emission, while Octane's Glossy materials use Diffuse/Roughness/Specular, where glossy cannot be emissive. Some parts are different. Perhaps the similar things could be mapped, so we don't have to start from scratch every time? For example, when converting from Physical Surface to Octane Glossy:

Color -> Diffuse
Transparency -> Opacity
Roughness -> Roughness
Metallic -> Specular
Normal -> Normal
Bump -> Bump
Displacement -> Displacement

If "Metallic = 1", then use Octane's Metallic material instead.
If "Emission Strength > 0", then use Octane's Diffuse material instead

Those are the 3 most used Octane material types, so a basic mapping is possible. The major bummer is that Octane doesn't understand metallic maps. It uses Specular instead, but they could be mapped as equivalent. In Physical Surface, the channel called "Specular" is actually IOR, so that could be mapped as such. The default value is mid grey, which is the typical skin IOR, according to SMS.
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 am

face_off Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 am
Ken1171 wrote:
face_off wrote:You said you were only using PRB materials in Poser - so what conversion rules do you use for converting this materials to Octane materials.

Hmm, I see your point. Cycles uses Diffuse/Roughness/Metallic/Emission, while Octane's Glossy materials use Diffuse/Roughness/Specular, where glossy cannot be emissive. Some parts are different. Perhaps the similar things could be mapped, so we don't have to start from scratch every time? For example, when converting from Physical Surface to Octane Glossy:

Color -> Diffuse
Transparency -> Opacity
Roughness -> Roughness
Metallic -> Specular
Normal -> Normal
Bump -> Bump

Those are the 3 most used Octane material types, so a basic mapping is possible. The major bummer is that Octane doesn't understand metallic maps. It uses Specular instead, but they could be mapped as equivalent. In Physical Surface, the channel called "Specular" is actually IOR, so that could be mapped as such. The default value is mid grey, which is the typical skin IOR, according to SMS.
Wouldn't it be better to convert to an Octane Universal Material instead?

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 am

Ken1171 Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 am
face_off wrote:Wouldn't it be better to convert to an Octane Universal Material instead?Paul

I guess so. Perhaps the point is that anything is better than getting a blank slate on all MAT zones for the entire scene, which is kind of discouraging. Don't get me wrong - I always edit all materials coming from Poser, but I would it would be nice to have at least a starting point to edit from. After all, PBR materials are here to stay.
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 pm

face_off Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 pm
I guess so. Perhaps the point is that anything is better than getting a blank slate on all MAT zones for the entire scene, which is kind of discouraging. Don't get me wrong - I always edit all materials coming from Poser, but I would it would be nice to have at least a starting point to edit from. After all, PBR materials are here to stay.
OK, I will take a look at this in the next release. Can you send me a scene with some spheres which have PhysicalSurface's setup in a way that you would normally use them pls (ie. a skin material, metal material, etc)?

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:37 am

Ken1171 Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:37 am
face_off wrote:Can you send me a scene with some spheres which have PhysicalSurface's setup in a way that you would normally use them pls (ie. a skin material, metal material, etc)?

I surely can. I made a PBR skin materal, and a PBR boots material using Physical Surface the way I usually handle it. I would rather email them to you because these PBR textures have copyright licenses. Just email me at [email protected] and I will reply with the 2 materials.
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 am

face_off Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 am
Ken1171 wrote:
face_off wrote:Can you send me a scene with some spheres which have PhysicalSurface's setup in a way that you would normally use them pls (ie. a skin material, metal material, etc)?

I surely can. I made a PBR skin materal, and a PBR boots material using Physical Surface the way I usually handle it. I would rather email them to you because these PBR textures have copyright licenses. Just email me at [email protected] and I will reply with the 2 materials.
Tnx Ken - I have emailed you.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 am

Ken1171 Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 am
face_off wrote:Tnx Ken - I have emailed you.
Paul

I have sent you the 2 PBR materials! Thanks for looking into this, and ask me if you need more info. I am happy to help if I can.
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am

face_off Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am

Color -> Diffuse
Transparency -> Opacity
Roughness -> Roughness
Metallic -> Specular
Normal -> Normal
Bump -> Bump

I have made a start on this, and it becomes evident pretty quickly that the material conversion from a PhysicalSurface to an Octane Glossy is not straightforward. The rules I have put in place are:

Color -> Diffuse
Transparency -> Opacity
Roughness -> Currently not converted - if you have a formula to convert Poser roughness to Octane roughness, I can implement that
Specular -> Currently not converted. To me it looks like the PhysicalSurface Specular should be plugged in here rather than the Metallic
Metallic -> Specular
Normal -> Normal
Bump -> Bump

Here is the installer:

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/7f/64/f3/53/OctaneRender_for_Poser_4_04_0_93_Win64.exe

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 am

Ken1171 Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 am
Thank you, Paul. I will give it a try! I was thinking that "roughness" and "metallic" could be mapped to Octane's Universal Material? It has those channels, and they would map perfectly with Cycles Physical Surface.

On another subject, is it possible to layer materials in Octane? For example, I have a wet skin map that shows water drops over the skin. The skin and the water drops have completely different properties, where in Octane the water would be a specular material on top of the glossy skin. In Poser we use material layers. Is there an equivalent in Octane?
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser