Rendering meshes as separate layers + Alpha channel?

Forums: Rendering meshes as separate layers + Alpha channel?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Rendering meshes as separate layers + Alpha channel?

Postby gsfcreator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:01 pm

gsfcreator Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:01 pm
Hello there, Octane people!

when I save as .EXR, i get a file which contains multiple layers when I open it on photoshop (shadows, depth, etc).

I wanted to know if there is any way to have specific meshes saves into the .EXR as separate layers? lets say I have model A, model B, and background, and I wish each one of those to be on it's own layer...is it possible, and if yes - where to I tweak it?

the second thing I wanted to know is how to render with Alpha channel? when I wish to render only a figure and use it in another composition, I used to simply have only the figure on the scene, render on a black BG and save as PNG - and fire-fly saves alpha channel, thus the render is ready to be dragged-and-dropped into the composition. how do I achieve that with octane?

thanks in advance!
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rendering meshes as separate layers + Alpha channel?

Postby face_off » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 am

face_off Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 am
To render with an alpha channel, enable the Kernel->Alpha channel pin.

To render meshes in separate layers, set the layer for the Figure/Prop (in the "Layer" box), then in the Settings tree Render Layer->Enable and us the Active Layer Id to render out the layer you want. I suggest checking the Octane Standalone manual (docs.otoy.com) to see exactly how all this works).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gsfcreator » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm

gsfcreator Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm
face_off wrote:To render with an alpha channel, enable the Kernel->Alpha channel pin.

To render meshes in separate layers, set the layer for the Figure/Prop (in the "Layer" box), then in the Settings tree Render Layer->Enable and us the Active Layer Id to render out the layer you want. I suggest checking the Octane Standalone manual (docs.otoy.com) to see exactly how all this works).

Paul

Thanks, Paul! will do! :)
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Petec » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Petec Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:14 pm
To anyone rendering in layers, is there any noticeable speed advantage to rendering in layers? That is, you render the background/scene elements as one layer and then say render a person in the foreground as another layer. For animation purposes, it would make sense to render a non moving background for only one frame and then the foreground/moving meshes frames as alphas.
Petec
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 am

face_off Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 am
Petec wrote:To anyone rendering in layers, is there any noticeable speed advantage to rendering in layers? That is, you render the background/scene elements as one layer and then say render a person in the foreground as another layer. For animation purposes, it would make sense to render a non moving background for only one frame and then the foreground/moving meshes frames as alphas.

I doubt there would be any speed advantage doing this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser