making light shine through objects (diffuse) + SSS for Octan

Forums: making light shine through objects (diffuse) + SSS for Octan
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

making light shine through objects (diffuse) + SSS for Octan

Postby gsfcreator » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm

gsfcreator Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm
how do I make light shine through objects (without touching the opacity) In octane?

I'm referring objects like lamp shaders/curtains, or even the human skin. I figured human skin = apply SSS (but I have no idea how to do it in octane, only in poser), and for objects - turning the material into a diffuse material, but I didn't got the results I wanted. tweaking the opacity seems to give some semi-results, but I think I'm missing something:

light1.png

light2.png

If you guys can point me out to a tutorial regarding using SSS in octane, my thanks.
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: making light shine through objects (diffuse) + SSS for Octan

Postby wimvdb » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 pm

wimvdb Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 pm
i am still busy writing a userguide on conversion

Here is a portion of it:

Diffuse Material:
-----
Transmission is a color or texture which will be mixed with the diffuse color or texture. It determines how much light is passed through the material. This node is used for material like lampshades or scattering.
In the picture below I placed a ball with an emitter material inside lamp. The lampshade had its transmission channel set to white. For best result I increases the emitter samples to 1000.

lampshade.jpg

I have not finished with SSS, that will be a separate section, but it boils down to this:

Diffuse material, use your textures as normal, add a reddish color or texture in Transmission. then in Medium add Scatter. Set Density to a low value, Scattering to 1 or white. Now tweak the density value.
It is a complex subject, and doing it like this will likely not be the result you want. Redspec shaders does it quite nicely and it is a complicated shader. In the guide I use a more simple approach. Basically it is mixing A glossy with your normal materials with the diffuse scatter material.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gsfcreator » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 am

gsfcreator Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 am
thanks again, @wimvdb !

that guide of yours will sure be a hell of a help for many of us (surely for myself!). where are you going to publish it and is there any way to get a notification?
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gsfcreator » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:19 pm

gsfcreator Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:19 pm
wimvdb wrote:i am still busy writing a userguide on conversion

Here is a portion of it:

Diffuse Material:
-----
Transmission is a color or texture which will be mixed with the diffuse color or texture. It determines how much light is passed through the material. This node is used for material like lampshades or scattering.
In the picture below I placed a ball with an emitter material inside lamp. The lampshade had its transmission channel set to white. For best result I increases the emitter samples to 1000.

lampshade.jpg

I have not finished with SSS, that will be a separate section, but it boils down to this:

Diffuse material, use your textures as normal, add a reddish color or texture in Transmission. then in Medium add Scatter. Set Density to a low value, Scattering to 1 or white. Now tweak the density value.
It is a complex subject, and doing it like this will likely not be the result you want. Redspec shaders does it quite nicely and it is a complicated shader. In the guide I use a more simple approach. Basically it is mixing A glossy with your normal materials with the diffuse scatter material.

buying the ready-SSS that you recommended for me a few days ago (M4F if i remember right) will do the trick without having to mess with too many tweaks? if yes its worth my $.
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 pm

wimvdb Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 pm
the redspec shaders add SSS to the skins and they do a good job
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer