Octane and popping hair

Forums: Octane and popping hair
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Octane and popping hair

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am

face_off Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am
As per my previous post....

If you are getting errors or problems, can you pls post screenshots of the errors.
If you are getting a grey render, pls post a screenshot of it. If the Rendertarget settings cannot be edited - can you pls post a screenshot of those settings.

Also - 3.3.3.76 is an old version. I suggest installing the latest release from the release thread in this forum.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Seaking406 Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm
Hi again, I thought I had downloaded the latest version since I got it from the Download link on this site.. but now see it's really old..

So.. installed the new Octane and poof.. now nothing works with either Poser Pro 11 OR my previously working Poser 2014 GameDev.. argh! Same affliction on both versions.. =(

At this point, I strongly believe there is a problem with Poser and not all on Octane being broke at this moment.. The Poser DownloadManager started to hang during launching and couldn't get anything going.. So I un-installed once again all of Poser 11 Pro.. and re-installed the DL Manager.. and now nothing seems to be working as it once was.. ARGH! why fix something that wasn't broke by updating / upgrading.. when will I learn.. (frustration mode on, sorry)

I also tried installing the previously working version of Octane 3.3.4.77 and that too now no longer works.. same results.

As requested, I've uploaded a screen shot of what it looks like now and has been since yesterday. Octane isn't rendering, and though NOW i can change the settings, it is so sluggish as heck but Task manager doesn't show it as suspended or any CPU load what so ever..

Something is seriously broken here.. betting on Poser being broke.. =(

Waiting on SM to get back to me with some help, hopefully..

Cheers

Just an ADDON to this.. I finally managed to get an "error report" by forcing Octane to do something.. and when it hung up and needed forceful shutting down, i got this error report pop up stating:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.9.1-msw\wx\_core.py", line 16291, in <lambda>
lambda event: event.callable(*event.args, **event.kw) )
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\SetupForm.py", line 597, in callAfterRefreshVertices
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\UiManager.py", line 3929, in refreshVertices
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'meshNodes'

It points to the "Poser 11/" folder for some reason.. and I can tell ya that there ISN'T such a folder what so ever on the system after I un-installed it earlier today.. So for SOME reason, it's looking for love in all the wrong places... ?

perhaps this is the clue to what's going wrong with this setup now?
Attachments
octanebroke.jpg
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 pm

wimvdb Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 pm
Does Octane stand alone work?
Install it and import an obj file and render it.

Octane works fine with P11. I have been using it with P11 since it was in beta 2 years ago, so it is either a configuration setting (such as a conflicting addon) or something else which prevents Octane to work properly,

After the download manager finishes the download, it does a CRC check to see of the file has been downloaded correctly. Only then you will be able to install. If the CRC was correct, there is no need to redo the download.

I will be interesting to see if standalone works
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:24 am

Seaking406 Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:24 am
I'm sure that it does work with Poser 11 Pro..

I downloaded the stand alone demo and imported an OBJ and selected to render it, the 'render viewport' only shows wavy lines the octane logo.. no other images.

I have finally managed to load both Poser 2014 GameDev AND Poser 11 Pro (finally) onto my system. I have fully un-installed Octane plugin for Poser from both folders, rebooted and rebooted, shut down and rebooted again.. I did a proper re-install of the latest Octane version and still cannot get anything to show in the Viewport.. so the same problem persists..

If I load a new character into Poser while Octane is running, the Octane will do it's thing and show the new object in the materials list but nothing will appear in the preview..

That's the disconnect that needs fixing..

I patiently await.. =/ From the only error window I ever received, it appears that octane itself might have gotten munged somewhere along the way and now can't un-munge itself... ?

Cheers
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:48 am

face_off Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:48 am
Can you provide the information requested in https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56137 pls?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Seaking406 Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 pm
YES! Finally!! I have Octane working again.. and yes, I shall give myself one huge pat on the back for trying out something so blatantly obvious, I then kick meself in the arse for not trying it out before.. but I have Octane working with Poser 11 Pro.. finally .. geesus H croid on a cross...

My first clue was the one and only ever error report received that Octane was trying to do something with Poser 11 path even though I had un-installed it before.. I reinstalled Poser 11 only to have so many problems with it that I went ahead and deleted it's Prefs file and start fresh again and THAT fixed Poser 11..

Hmm.. no.. really? would THAT work with Octane..

and yes it does.. GAH.. I had been looking for that dang pref file from the beginning but couldn't find it.. but it's in the same area as Poser's prefs file..

so YEAAH! So far so good.. I still have to test it all out but the fact that I can see what it's rendering is a step in the right direction!

And all this because I wanted to find a way to keep certain hairs from popping lol..

Time for an old man nap now.. Thanks for the assist folks.. the fix was indeed a lot easier than I had thought.. just needed to find it..

Cheers!
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 pm

wimvdb Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 pm
Great!
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 am

Seaking406 Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 am
Once I got it working I discovered that it stopped working with new scenes.. aww man.. really?

What I didn't realise is that Poser 11 has this default enclosed space to work in that doesn't permit any light into it when using Path tracing and hdr lighting.. well how about that.. once sorted out, I think I have this figured out now.

happy to say that with the latest Octane version and Poser 11 Pro, my renders are now even faster than before with the 1080 Ti and TitanX doing the work..

I just have to get used to Poser 11's quirks in my work space..

Thanks again
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm

wimvdb Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm
Ok, that explains your problem
P11 has the "the construct", a replacement for the ground. It is an enclosed space bettet suited to render engines such as Superfly or Octane.
You have a couple of choices here. You can either hide it in Poser (ctrl-G), Hide it in Octane (set General visibility to hidden in the mesh properies), or set the construct to not cast shadows in octane (Shadow vis. Off)
Or you could load the old P10 environment (I think in the scene library of P11) and make that the defaull scene (Edit General Preferences, Set Preferred scene).

I use 2 1080ti's - and Octane really flies.....
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:19 am

Seaking406 Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:19 am
Thanks! Since my previous scene builds doesn't require their inner construct, I opted to make my default scene without it so that I can use the empty background for other purposes as well

The only time I ever get the 1080 Ti to heat up is with Octane.. gaming doesn't affect it what so ever but man, it can get hot. I run Afterburner to ramp the fans up to keep the temps down in the 60's otherwise it would go up to 80'C (below peak temp but not good for the card...)

i can only image what it would be like with two of them!! (if the prices come down, I'll find out ;)
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser