Octane and popping hair

Forums: Octane and popping hair
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Octane and popping hair

Postby Seaking406 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Seaking406 Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm
Greetings, I'm encountering an 'annoying' but not a show stopper problem with Octane and some hair props that I use often. My apologies if I am not using the correct terms or words here in trying to explain the problem.

I tend to use a lot of ALI hair characters with my projects as they render rather well with Octane.

Unfortunately, a few of the hairs, such as 170 and 182 demonstrate a weird habit that most of the other hair characters do not.

When loading the hair into Poser Pro 2014 (Game Dev) and conforming it to a model, all is good. But when I go to OctaneRender Setup window (release 3.6.5.81) and right mouse click on the "Auto Refresh: Off" button to refresh the scene for rendering, the hair character pops off the model and shoots over to where it originally loaded into Poser in the Poser preview screen.. So the model looks to be bald headed with the hair sitting a distance away.. However, if I continue to render the scene in Octane, all looks good as the hair is where it is supposed to be on the model's head.. BUT in Poser preview screen it is not. It will, however, snap back onto the models head as soon as something is moved or changed in the Poser environment. I can see the hair character sitting aside of the model but the outlines appear when the pointer hovers over the head where the hair should be..

This happens with a few other hairs but not all the hairs, this happened on earlier versions of Octane and continued after the last update I did to it..

Any idea what causes this and how to stop it from doing so? As I mentioned before, it's not a show stopper but quite the annoyance.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane and popping hair

Postby face_off » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 pm

face_off Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 pm
Hi - I recall that this was a Poser bug, and potentially fixed in a Poser Pro 2014 SR (are you on the latest?) or in Poser 11.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 am

Seaking406 Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 am
Hi Paul.. yes I am using the latest version of Poser Pro 2014 (Game Dev) . I have Poser Pro 11 but not installed / running as it had severe bugs that could not be overcome even with SM's help.. I hesitate to try the newest version as the last time it caused a lot of problems with the current projects I'm working with at the time.
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 am

face_off Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 am
There is not much more I can suggest - sorry. Just make sure you are on the latest NVidia drivers, and migrate to Poser 11 when you can.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 am

Seaking406 Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 am
Thank you!
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DylanSaunders » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm

DylanSaunders Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm
I use most of the Ali hair and can confirm they work fine in Poser 11.
DylanSaunders
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Seaking406 Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:30 pm
Hi.. I finally went ahead and installed my Poser 11 Pro again to try the hair thing and well.. it broke everything.. (pinching bridge of nose like John Cleese mode)...

Loading a previous Poser GameDev scene that I had previously run Octane with doesn't work anymore, and creating a new scene with Poser 11 Pro and then loading up Octane still doesn't work.. I have a blank viewport screen and the system is not rendering (my vid card isn't ramping up nor processing). It says it's transferring scene to Octane but nothing happens after that.. My previous default settings aren't there anymore (would hate to have to go and reset everything again..ergh)..

I'm sure it's a simple fix and set up but at this moment it escapes me as to what I need to do in order to get Octane to work with my new install of Poser 11 Pro..

Fortunately, my older version of Poser Gave Dev still works with Octane.. I can't afford too much down time.. I don't want to un-install Poser Gane Dev and be potentially stuck with nothing that works properly..

Any thoughts to a quick fix or what I did wrong?

thanks in advance.
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:02 am

wimvdb Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:02 am
You did install the Octane plugin in the P11 install folder?
To get your previous default settings, just Import the Render Target settings from your old install location and then Save as Default
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 am

face_off Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 am
As Wim says - you need to install the plugin in the Poser 11 runtime folder (so the installer installs the plugin files into a folder like C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser). If you are getting errors or problems, can you pls post screenshots of the errors.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 am

Seaking406 Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 am
Hi again.. I removed what ever existing Octane folder was within the Poser 11 set up and re-installed Octane again from fresh, rebooted the system and still have the same problem.. and discovered a few more issues that hopefully might lead to what the main problem is..?

Poser 11 Pro freshly installed and full updated, with latest Octane freshly installed ( OctaneRender_for_Poser_3_3_3_76_Win64.exe )

When I launch Poser 11 Pro, create a scene or load a pre-existing scene with characters / models, all is good.

I can launch Octane from Render / OctaneRender and everything appears correct with the loading right up to when the Viewport opens.. it's blank.. either white or black or grey depending what I try..

I can tell by my monitoring software that the video cards are not under load, not 'rendering' a scene..

The other thing I discovered is that the settings within OctaneRender Setup, such as image size, exposure etc, cannot not be changed.. I cannot change the numbers.. So something it locked up somewhere..?

There are no error numbers or error windows coming up.. just nothing showing in the Viewport and unable to change anything on the Setup Panel..

Everything works as it's supposed to within Poser 2014 / Game Dev and that Octane installation..
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser