New system issues

Forums: New system issues
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

New system issues

Postby samhal » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:05 am

samhal Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:05 am
Howdy all!

Okay here's my problem...

I have a shiny, brand new system just for Poser/Octane (well, mostly). The drive setup is different with SSD's etc. So what I did was install poser normally, and copied all my runtimes (like 200GB) over. Poser can load year old scenes no problem even with different drive letters; octane plugin, not so much. While poser can load quickly, octane laboriously searches for each and every thing it needs. I browse to the runtime folder and it'll load one thing then get stuck on the very next thing until I browse to that folder, etc. It seriously took me a good hour just to get past the "checking and converting materials" phase!

A newly created and saved scene is no problem what-so-ever for the plugin.

I understand the issues with different materials folder placement from what was originally saved and all that, but my question is, is there a way to default the plugin to a "new" state WITHOUT having the pain of what I said above? After the plug-in's authentication process it goes straight into Checking/converting Materials and you're stuck until finished...in my case a loooooong time.

I would rather start with a clean slate rather than spend so much time re-locating everything for the plugin. I know I can delete the tail end of the .pz3 file once I convert it to a text (.pzz) file, but that is yet another deliberate process.

So, can a intermediate process be implemented before Checking/Converting to ask if the user wants to continue with saved info or start with a fresh slate as if a new scene.

Or is there a simpler way already to save my time and I just don't know it yet? If so, please tell me!!! :D
i7 6800K (6 core), 24 GB, GTX 1080 8gb, Titan X 12gb
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: New system issues

Postby face_off » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:00 am

face_off Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:00 am
The full path of the Octane materials is stored in the .pz3. When prompted to search for the missing texturemap - select the Runtime folder with all your content, and the plugin should search that entire folder structure for the missing file. It might be slow, but should find a match eventually. Much easy to have the same folder structure and drives on old and new PC.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby samhal » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 am

samhal Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 am
Yep it would be much easier. But not the case here.

Since P4, I've used the same runtime, thats why it's kinda large. P11 i let install it's own runtime. Any one of many RedSpec installations have their own directories. I keep HDRI images in separate directories as well. All my .poc/.poe files are in yet other directories. As you can see, it's semi well organized vice jamming everything into a single large area, which makes the plugin cumbersome to use now...on pre-existing scenes.

And you are so correct about being so sloooow on matching up files during searches.

Like I mentioned before, it would be much easier and faster just to start with a clean plugin. And I'm guessing you're saying there is no way to get to a fresh/blank/clean plugin on an pre-existing scene?

Sam
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 am

face_off Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 am
And I'm guessing you're saying there is no way to get to a fresh/blank/clean plugin on an pre-existing scene?
You can Materials Tab->Scene->Reconvert All Materials From Poser, to do this, however you will loose any custom Octane materials you might have setup in the scene.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby samhal » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm

samhal Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm
face_off wrote:
And I'm guessing you're saying there is no way to get to a fresh/blank/clean plugin on an pre-existing scene?
You can Materials Tab->Scene->Reconvert All Materials From Poser, to do this, however you will loose any custom Octane materials you might have setup in the scene.

Paul

Yes and I do but only after the long agonizing wait with the Checking/Converting materials process. I was hoping to preempt that process up front.
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm

face_off Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm
If you edit config.xml (refer to the manual for the location of this file) and change the MissingTexturemapsSearchFolder to "", or a folder with just one file in it, the searching should happen quickly (and it will obviously not find any of the texturemaps), and you will them be able to reconvert all the materials from Poser.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby wimvdb » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:56 am

wimvdb Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:56 am
One more tip.
In the Setup tab in the plugin, change the LiveDB Texturemap folder and the LocalDB folder to folder inside your runtime..
That way it travels with you when you move to a new system.
The default folders are in the AppData/Roaming folder which you often forget to copy
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samhal » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:43 pm

samhal Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:43 pm
Thanks for the replies guys!

Still having annoying search time issues...which makes me wonder... is the texture searching based on a Win7 Search function, or an embedded poser/octane function? Or a combination of both?

Using the same scene on my 'old' system loads right up! I'm guessing because the the texture path is stored statically and loads directly.

On my 'new' system, I'm guessing that because I tell the plug-in to search 'runtime' it has to look at each of 594,829 files in 18,596 folders for a given texture even tho the texture pathname structure within 'runtime' remains the same on both systems. I select 'runtime' to browse to avoid directly having to navigate to each texture location in the 'Browse for Folder' popup dialog window the plugin puts up of which there could be hundreds. At this point I'm not sure which is faster.

Another experiment I tried, I changed the drive letters on the new system to match the old, effectively mirroring the file pathway on both systems. The plugin is still not convinced! "Something" is different.

So (back to my original point) if this process relies in part on a Win7 routine, is there a tweak I can do (brand new install) to speed up the process? Poser's deep/shallow search options works well for poser but I see no effect in the plugin.

Paul - changing the MissingTexturemapsSearchFolder to "" didn't help in any meaningful way. I am still straddled with a aggravating loooooong wait (depending on the scene up to and hour or two) before the plugin is released back to me.

Again, any newly created scene on the new system works as expected!

Sorry for rambling!
Sam
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:08 pm

face_off Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:08 pm
Using the same scene on my 'old' system loads right up! I'm guessing because the the texture path is stored statically and loads directly.
Once the plugin has found and relinked all the missing files, if you save the PZ3 and then reload it, it should reload quickly (since it doesn't need to do the relink again). If it loads slowly - it's a Poser search issue rather than related to the plugin.

Another experiment I tried, I changed the drive letters on the new system to match the old, effectively mirroring the file pathway on both systems. The plugin is still not convinced! "Something" is different.
How did you change the drive letter?

I am still straddled with a aggravating loooooong wait (depending on the scene up to and hour or two) before the plugin is released back to me.
As stated above, once the plugin has relinked all the texturemaps and been saved, it should load quickly the next time.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby samhal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:23 am

samhal Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:23 am
How did you change the drive letter?.

Disk Management window -> right click drive letter, select 'Change drive letter and paths...' -> change to new letter.

...once the plugin has relinked all the texturemaps and been saved, it should load quickly the next time.

Agreed...and it does once re-saved.

But if the directory structure is the same on both systems, why the need to relink? I don't get it yet. Displaying the same texture in file manager on each system shows an identical drive letter/path/filename location. Yet the plugin balks at it on the new system. The plugin detects that something is different.

And if I understood you, the searching is incumbent on Poser and not anything with Win7 or the plugin? Rats! I was hoping for a setting change somewhere.

Sam
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser