Upgrade --both --opinions?

Forums: Upgrade --both --opinions?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Upgrade --both --opinions?

Postby gold » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:03 pm

gold Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:03 pm
Hi,

From opinions, such as on this fine board, I was underwhelmed with Poser 11. And did not upgrade.

I see a "50% " sale on it starting today, however. Any opinions on upgrading to 11 - and ultimately O 3?

thanks
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Upgrade --both --opinions?

Postby DylanSaunders » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm

DylanSaunders Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm
I upgraded from PP2014 Pro to Poser 11 Pro and have no regrets. While the rendering improvements could do with being quite a bit faster, they are worth having during sale time, especially if you don't have the benefits of render speed offered by Octane. As for Octane 3 compared to 2, version 3 renders faster (for me anyway). I only upgraded to version 3 a few days ago and so far haven't discovered the other benefits of upgrading, but the faster render speed alone was worth the upgrade price for me.
DylanSaunders
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gold » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:34 pm

gold Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:34 pm
Thanks DylanSaunders for reply,

I guess it wasn't clear - but I have poser pro 2014 with Octane 2. This set up is good.

Is there any reason to switch to POSER 11 just to acquire firefly, anyone? I was familiar with BLENDERS new render engine, CYCLES,, but gathered the cross grade to poser lacked something.

Or are there any other compelling features?

My biggest poser disappointment, however, was reports about the library. It sounded like a throw back in function and features.

thanks

PS - Can I just upgrade to OCTANE 3 for use in 2014 ?

-- correction, is it now super fly?
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 pm

face_off Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 pm
PS - Can I just upgrade to OCTANE 3 for use in 2014 ?
Yes - although for a small number of users there is a conflict with Poser Pro 2014, Octane 3 and the Nvidia drivers which means you need to run Nvidia driver 358.50 (and not the current Nvidia driver release). This will hopefully be resolved shortly.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gold » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:37 am

gold Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:37 am
thanks Paul,

looks like Im ok to upgrade as is. Still wondering about Poser 11 benefits, though!

thanks
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DylanSaunders » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:44 am

DylanSaunders Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:44 am
The tools for directly manipulating (Translate/Rotate etc.) are easier to use. Custom palettes is very useful IMHO. Materials are now better, volumetrics when they work, work well. Lights are tweaked, softbox option for softer shadows. Overall performance is better, especially with lots of objects and characters in scenes. No more lag when clicking the Preview tab after a render. There are probably more changes, those are just the ones I can remember right now.

I think the big deal is the Superfly renderer. It gives almost photoreal results with newer content, but it takes longer to render than Firefly. I stopped using it as Octane does it better and faster by a mile and is one of those "how the heck did I manage without it" purchases.
DylanSaunders
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gold » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:50 am

gold Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:50 am
The tools for directly manipulating (Translate/Rotate etc.) are easier to use.

ok, this is actually big. 2014 is weak.

Custom palettes is very useful IMHO.

not sure what those are.

Materials are now better, volumetrics when they work, work well.

Paul, said this feature works in octane 3, correct? Is there anything comparable in 2014?

Lights are tweaked, softbox option for softer shadows.

Overall performance is better,

especially with lots of objects and characters in scenes.

this sounds big - 2014 is torture in this case.

No more lag when clicking the Preview tab after a render. There are probably more changes, those are just the ones I can remember right now.

I think the big deal is the Superfly renderer. It gives almost photoreal results with newer content, but it takes longer to render than Firefly.

I stopped using it as Octane does it better and faster by a mile and is one of those "how the heck did I manage without it" purchases.

Im familiar with superfly as CYCLES from Blender. It showed promise, at least in Blender. But, sadly, it was not
fast.

But yeah Octane seems miles better from what I remember -

thanks.

anybody have an opinion on the LIBARY? better , worse?
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:38 am

wimvdb Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:38 am
gold wrote:The tools for directly manipulating (Translate/Rotate etc.) are easier to use.

ok, this is actually big. 2014 is weak.

Custom palettes is very useful IMHO.

not sure what those are.

Materials are now better, volumetrics when they work, work well.

Paul, said this feature works in octane 3, correct? Is there anything comparable in 2014?

Lights are tweaked, softbox option for softer shadows.

Overall performance is better,

especially with lots of objects and characters in scenes.

this sounds big - 2014 is torture in this case.

No more lag when clicking the Preview tab after a render. There are probably more changes, those are just the ones I can remember right now.

I think the big deal is the Superfly renderer. It gives almost photoreal results with newer content, but it takes longer to render than Firefly.

I stopped using it as Octane does it better and faster by a mile and is one of those "how the heck did I manage without it" purchases.

Im familiar with superfly as CYCLES from Blender. It showed promise, at least in Blender. But, sadly, it was not
fast.

But yeah Octane seems miles better from what I remember -

thanks.

anybody have an opinion on the LIBARY? better , worse?

Flash and probably Air (which are used in PP92014) are on the way out in internet land and replaced by HTML5, this is what the new library in P11 is. For me it works just as fast as the old one and has a better search engine. For some other users it is slow due which SM is working on.
For me one of the most valuable improvement is the morphbrush - it us much better as before and use it all the time. Other useful features for me are AutoSave, Adaptive scaling for UI on 4K monitors, Partial import export of scenes (save part of a scene for later import), various improvement in Import (such as scaling), Save Morph Injections,
There are also lots of other improvements such as improved rigging and weightmapping tools, selection tool, new comic render tool, measurement tool, custom dial windows and of course lots of bug fixes. And it is actively maintained.
The new render engine and lights are of limited use if you use Octane as primary render engine.

So for me it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, even without the need for an improved render engine
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gold » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:44 am

gold Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:44 am
thanks wimvdb,

I know your a Poser statesman with much experience. Sounds good.

One final question comes to mind - I had a tortuous time moving more than one character in 2014 They jump back
together [over each other] , get stuck at the origin - who knows what aggravating messes.

Any improvement on that you think?
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 am

mlru Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 am
IMHO, P11 is not worth the money.
the big changes are the new render engine - obsolete considering the board we're on ;)
a new comic style render and a new library. Good thing is, they dumped Flash, bad thing, they obviously lack in database programming. A lot of problems were reported with indexing, updating and searching the runtimes.
the rest are more or less esthetic repairs.
there still seem to be some internal issues with symmetry, but that doesn't seem to disturb normal use aside from rigging/morphing.

I'll upgrade again when they fix the really important things like the hair and cloth room or a better usable hierarchy editor.
(Probably Poser 20..... :mrgreen: )
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser