Viewport feedback via Octane for Poser

Forums: Viewport feedback via Octane for Poser
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Viewport feedback via Octane for Poser

Postby Mythmaker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:52 am

Mythmaker Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:52 am
One of the few reasons why I took the plunge and bought into Octane for Poser is the usual:
render speed, soft dynamics & hair strand recognition, general shader translation, Face_Off's solid cred etc :)
and definitely an "extra" goodie: instancing by surface and even gradient/ alpha map!
Instancing information here on Paul's blog, and video here https://vimeo.com/54438243

I do wish for better correlation, as in closer shader/texture visual feedback between the two viewports
With Poser 11's Superfly surfaces which gives closer and better Preview render visual feedback compared to Firefly
I hope that the Preview-to-Final render closeness can be translated between Octane and Poser's OpenGL viewport
It will really help the artistic process!

I also have a (possibly crazy and impossible) wish :lol:
is it possible to "reverse propagate" the O4P scattered instances back to Poser viewport?
As in "physical" manifestation of the instanced grass props or sprites?
It is very weird if What You See in Octane is Not What You See in Poser, where the scene layout work is done
Visual feedback is very appreciated not just for object collision but also speeds up workflow and increase creativity, the whole idea of Octane
I can understand if this is technically impossible however :D

Side note, I'm still looking for other instancing/ arraying/ scattering tools for Poser that will work with Octane so appreciate any pointers from other Octane for Poser users!

Cheers and look forward to Octane3 for Poser
system: W7.64.Ult, Xeon5670 (2.93), RAM12G, single GTX.Titan-6G driver347.52, SSDx3, Poser.Pro.11, Carrara.8.5.Pro 64b, DS4.8 64b, OR4C, Octane for Poser
Mythmaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Viewport feedback via Octane for Poser

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:42 am

face_off Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:42 am
I do wish for better correlation, as in closer shader/texture visual feedback between the two viewports
With Poser 11's Superfly surfaces which gives closer and better Preview render visual feedback compared to Firefly
I hope that the Preview-to-Final render closeness can be translated between Octane and Poser's OpenGL viewport
It will really help the artistic process!
If you can come up with an complete set of unambiguous conversion rules from Superfly materials to Octane materials I can assess if it can be implemented.

is it possible to "reverse propagate" the O4P scattered instances back to Poser viewport?
As in "physical" manifestation of the instanced grass props or sprites?
It is very weird if What You See in Octane is Not What You See in Poser, where the scene layout work is done
Visual feedback is very appreciated not just for object collision but also speeds up workflow and increase creativity, the whole idea of Octane
I can understand if this is technically impossible however :D
You should be able to write a python script to do this (ie. it would read the CSV file then place copies of the prop at each transform position in the CSV.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Mythmaker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:23 am

Mythmaker Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:23 am
Thanks for the feedback, Paul.
I'm just a shader beginner so I'm going to do some research and reading on material conversion rules.
My impression (reading RuntimeDNA forums) is Poser Superfly is still in new launch mode with unsettled dust and minor bugs, so that will take a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong - since Octane and Superfly/physical are both unbiased they should be easier to translate than FireFly-Octane, correct?
Also "physical" shaders' would tend to look better in preview (as in truer to final render) than typical biased renderer, correct?

Good to know scripting for 'reverse instance scattering preview' is possible. Lots more to learn but exciting nonetheless.
Cheers!
system: W7.64.Ult, Xeon5670 (2.93), RAM12G, single GTX.Titan-6G driver347.52, SSDx3, Poser.Pro.11, Carrara.8.5.Pro 64b, DS4.8 64b, OR4C, Octane for Poser
Mythmaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 am

face_off Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 am
Correct me if I'm wrong - since Octane and Superfly/physical are both unbiased they should be easier to translate than FireFly-Octane, correct?
My guess is that creating a set of accurate, clear, unambiguous conversion rules for Superfly to Octane will not be easy. But I will be very happy if you prove me wrong :-)

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby phdubrov » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 am

phdubrov Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 am
Mythmaker wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong - since Octane and Superfly/physical are both unbiased they should be easier to translate than FireFly-Octane, correct?
Also "physical" shaders' would tend to look better in preview (as in truer to final render) than typical biased renderer, correct?

Good to know scripting for 'reverse instance scattering preview' is possible. Lots more to learn but exciting nonetheless.
Cheers!

No. At least until OSL is in Octane. For now much easier recompile SF nodes to Iray than to Octane.
No. Just no. Poser for now has problems with preview Superfly shaders and emitters.

For scatter in Poser there are Eco for Terradome (on RDNA), no idea if it works outside Terradome or works in P11, but you can ask on forum.
Also Send In The Clones Pro by DraagornStorm for Poser on Daz. (Also you may need contact author about P11 compability) but I'm not shure if it can move clones to surface.
phdubrov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser