OctaneRender 2 for Poser (Windows/OSX) [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Poser (Windows/OSX) [STABLE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser (Windows/OSX) 2.25 [STABLE]

Postby Mythmaker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:18 am

Mythmaker Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:18 am
Hi Paul

O4P is rendering the default face control props (new rig feature of P11 characters Pauline and Paul)
Properties: they are set as preview-visible but not rendering visible by default
By default these props will get highlighted as cursor hover over face parts for direct on-mesh animation

Octane doesn't seem to register the unchecked Visible in Raytracing
Superfly is not rendering them (expected behavior)

o4p-artifact.jpg

I'm on SR2 11.0.2. Not sure if this happens with SR11.0.1 or from the start.
(I didn't play with face morph or expression when testing octane until yesterday)
I'm still on 2.24.

The workaround is turning off all 26 face controls in the viewport which will make them unselectable and unusable
or hunting for them in the drop-down body part list or hierarchy pane to turn them visible just so that one could select them and use them
then turn them off for rendering in Octane. Obviously not viable...
system: W7.64.Ult, Xeon5670 (2.93), RAM12G, single GTX.Titan-6G driver347.52, SSDx3, Poser.Pro.11, Carrara.8.5.Pro 64b, DS4.8 64b, OR4C, Octane for Poser
Mythmaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 am

face_off Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 am
O4P is rendering the default face control props (new rig feature of P11 characters Pauline and Paul)
Properties: they are set as preview-visible but not rendering visible by default
By default these props will get highlighted as cursor hover over face parts for direct on-mesh animation
Can you pls give me an exact set of steps to reproduce this problem? Looking at the render, it appears the morphs are pushing the face vertices into each other, causing self-shadowing. Did you try reducing the ray epsilon? EDIT: I see the problem - the props are invisible, but penetrating the figures skin in some situations. I will try to figure a way for them to be ignored.

Octane doesn't seem to register the unchecked Visible in Raytracing
Superfly is not rendering them (expected behavior)
That's correct. It uses the Poser Visible checkbox to determine the visibility of the mesh in Octane.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 am

face_off Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 am
I have investigated this problem further, and it looks like a Poser issue (and I have reported it as a bug to Smith Micro).

The workaround is to click the Poser->People->Pauline->Face Control->Control Handles Hidden.

I will investigate if there is a better way for the plugin to identify that the props are not to be rendered.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Mythmaker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:28 am

Mythmaker Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:28 am
Thanks for confirming that Paul.
system: W7.64.Ult, Xeon5670 (2.93), RAM12G, single GTX.Titan-6G driver347.52, SSDx3, Poser.Pro.11, Carrara.8.5.Pro 64b, DS4.8 64b, OR4C, Octane for Poser
Mythmaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:43 am

face_off Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:43 am
I have a solution for this now, which will be in the next TEST release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 am

Ken1171 Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 am
This week I have been creating a new conforming outfit and noticed Octane is rendering normal maps inside out when the model is mirrored. For example, the right foot of a pair of shoes is a mirrored copy of the left foot. The UVs are mirrored and overlapping, and that's where Octane is displaying the mirrored side inside out (UV normals are inverted). Firefly and Poser's OpenGL previews have the same issue with normal maps, but the new Cycles (SuperFly) renders them properly in all cases. Apparently it automatically knows how to handle mirrored UVs.

I imagine all pairs of shoes, boots and gloves in Poser are created with symmetry, so this is pretty common practice. It seems like a matter of flipping UV normals when they are mirrored and overlapping. In the attached image, the right foot is a mirrored copy of the left foot. The normal map in the right foot is rendered as inside out because of the mirrored/overlapping UVs. I was wondering if this could be fixed in Octane 2.x?
Attachments
NormalMapTest_OCT.jpg
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 am

face_off Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 am
This week I have been creating a new conforming outfit and noticed Octane is rendering normal maps inside out when the model is mirrored. For example, the right foot of a pair of shoes is a mirrored copy of the left foot. The UVs are mirrored and overlapping, and that's where Octane is displaying the mirrored side inside out (UV normals are inverted). Firefly and Poser's OpenGL previews have the same issue with normal maps, but the new Cycles (SuperFly) renders them properly in all cases. Apparently it automatically knows how to handle mirrored UVs.
Yes, this has been reported before. It's an issue with Octane rather than the plugin. Can you pls report it to Otoy via the Octane Standalone 3 alpha 4 thread.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Inverse404 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Inverse404 Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 pm
Just a heads up for fellow users.

After an extensive trial of installing a plethora of nvidia's latest drivers I've observed that the latest driver to still not crash with the 2.25 Octane 4 Poser Plugin
is nvidia's Driver Version 358.50, all drivers newer, starting with 358.91 either fail or crash when trying to use the Poser Plugin.
(Didn't test the only one in between which is 358.87, as I got tired after downloading GBs of non-working drivers)

Tested on Windows 10 with GTX970 + GTX750ti installed.

So in case you happen to get crashing drivers or #999 whatever no rendering errors with the plugin, try out driver 358.50 (working) or 358.87 (didn't test that one).
http://www.nvidia.de/Download/Find.aspx

This issue should be addressed not too far in the future between otoy and nvidia, as staying locked into outdated GFX driver for an extended period of time isn't such an exciting situation to be in.
Inverse404
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:08 am

face_off Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:08 am
This issue should be addressed not too far in the future between otoy and nvidia, as staying locked into outdated GFX driver for an extended period of time isn't such an exciting situation to be in.
You could help Otoy with this by exporting a Poser scene which throws error 999's to ORBX and uploading with the info you have provided above to the Octane Standalone 2.25 thread. Only a small number of users are getting these errors with > 358.50 drivers, so the more of these users that report the problem, the more likely it will be that it gets fixed.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Inverse404 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Inverse404 Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:18 pm
Hello again Paul,

I've re-run the testing with a select few drivers that I still had on disk in a strictly controlled procedure.
In the attached file you will find a text file describing my testing procedure, detailed system information,
software version information, and the produced debug log outputs from CUDA log and poser python error log.
Also my minimalistic test scene is included, although it includes nothing besides the ground and Andy.

I will also double post this as soon as I find appropriate standalone thread as you suggested earlier.

*edit: reuploaded attachement after adding system RAM info to the text file*
Attachments
octane4poser-nvidia-driver-defects-test-samples.zip
(992.78 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
Inverse404
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser