OctaneRender 2 for Poser (Windows/OSX) [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Poser (Windows/OSX) [STABLE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser (Windows/OSX) 2.25 [STABLE]

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:59 pm

face_off Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:59 pm
Fantastic info - thank you. I have passed this on to Otoy. Have you tried the latest driver (I think it is 364)?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Inverse404 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:34 am

Inverse404 Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:34 am
I will check it out once the reports on random black screens of death that were going around the net about the latest release have subdued.
Inverse404
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:32 am

face_off Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:32 am
I am on 364.72 and not had a problem. But I suspect those experiencing issues are using faster cards.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Inverse404 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Inverse404 Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:12 pm
I just tried it out, same problem as with all the other drivers: Plugin doesn't work, Standalone does.
Inverse404
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:55 am

face_off Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:55 am
Does it happen when you render with just each card individually? Have you tried using one card as your Windows display adapter and one card for rendering? Have you tried rendering when superfly is disabled (if that's even possible)? Have you got SLI disabled?

ie... there must be something different between our configurations that means you are getting the problem and others are not.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Inverse404 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Inverse404 Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:41 pm
face_off wrote:Does it happen when you render with just each card individually? Have you tried using one card as your Windows display adapter and one card for rendering? Have you tried rendering when superfly is disabled (if that's even possible)? Have you got SLI disabled?

ie... there must be something different between our configurations that means you are getting the problem and others are not.

Paul

1) no SLI, there is no SLI as the 750 does not have support for that feature

2) no Superfly: Poser 2014 does not have Superfly as that is a Poser 11 exclusive

3) I have taken the time to swap both cards around and rendering with each individually.
I removed both cards, cleaned them up a little, even though they were almost dustless.
Then I installed one and then the other seperately to run it as the sole primary graphics card.

Unfortunately there is no difference no matter which card I use. It is the same effect with only the GTX970 or only the GTX750ti installed,
as it was before with both installed at the same time:
-> Plugin throws the CUDA#999 unknown internal error as soon, as I open the viewport
-> Octane Standalone just works fine

Summary: Poser Plugin does not work for me under no configuration when used with an nvidia driver later than 358.50.
Which is problematic as lots of other products either require later drivers or do not work reliably with the older driver version.

Since testing has shown this to be the result of the plugin-dll interacting with certain nvidia driver versions that do not like to give proper
error codes on what went wrong, maybe nvidia should be strongly incentivised to look at the matter.
We need them to give some method so we can
have the driver on affected systems give proper error information to analyze what exactly causes this issue.
Inverse404
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:41 pm

face_off Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:41 pm
Summary: Poser Plugin does not work for me under no configuration when used with an nvidia driver later than 358.50.
Which is problematic as lots of other products either require later drivers or do not work reliably with the older driver version.
Thanks for the info. A few users are experiencing the same problems a you with drivers after 358.50, so there is definitely a problem, and Otoy are aware of it. I will pas on the information you've provided. Thanks.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am

face_off Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am
After doing some searching on the web, I found some other suggestions...

1) Go in to Nvidia Control Panel->Manage 3d Settings->Global Settings->Power Management Mode->set to Prefer Maximum Performance

2) Use something like MSI Afterburner to down-clock your cards. Using MSI 420, set the Core Clock to -135 to test if it helps resolve the problem. Remember to click Apply to set the clock speed to your card.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Inverse404 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Inverse404 Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:38 pm
face_off wrote:After doing some searching on the web, I found some other suggestions...

1) Go in to Nvidia Control Panel->Manage 3d Settings->Global Settings->Power Management Mode->set to Prefer Maximum Performance

2) Use something like MSI Afterburner to down-clock your cards. Using MSI 420, set the Core Clock to -135 to test if it helps resolve the problem. Remember to click Apply to set the clock speed to your card.

Paul

Hello Paul,
I did Step #1 as described, then I did the equivalent under-clocking of Step #2 using Asus GPUTweak2.
Unfortunately it did not change anything. When running Octane through the plugin the CUDA driver still throws "#999 unknown internal error".

If you want me to run a debug build in a proper debugger session let me know, although the combination of Poser's execution context and
and an internal error from a driver won't make it too easy to catch good info.
Inverse404
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:18 am

face_off Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:18 am
I did Step #1 as described, then I did the equivalent under-clocking of Step #2 using Asus GPUTweak2.
Unfortunately it did not change anything. When running Octane through the plugin the CUDA driver still throws "#999 unknown internal error".

If you want me to run a debug build in a proper debugger session let me know, although the combination of Poser's execution context and
and an internal error from a driver won't make it too easy to catch good info.
OK - thanks for trying. Otoy are talking to Nvidia about the problem, so hopefully it will be addressed in a future Nvidia driver release. For the moment, use Nvidia driver 358.50.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser