OctaneRender 2 for Poser (Windows/OSX) [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Poser (Windows/OSX) [STABLE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser (Windows) 2.0 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 am

face_off Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 am
No it doesn't. It instead opens another dialog offering a button to open an actual file browsing selection, so every time I load a new texture, I have to go through 2 screens before getting to the actual file. I was suggesting an option to do this in one step instead of two. This becomes a burden when handling materials with many textures, if you know what I mean. I wish there was an option to go straight to the file browsing selection when dealing with nodes that require files.
I think a lot of people use the shortcuts that intermediate dialog provides to access texturemaps using in the Poser scene. So bypassing that will be an inconvenience for them.

I noticed some nodes can be set back to disconnected, while others can't. But I understand these 3 nodes you've listed above are the most likely to use grayscale maps, which are the ones I have to disconnect more often, so it makes sense. Nonetheless, CUDA limits my scenes up to 64 color maps, and sometimes background objects (like buildings) add to more than that in the scene and I have no option to disconnect them when I need to. I usually have to convert the RGBImage nodes to something else, and then zero the parameter so that it doesn't affect the scene. I wish I could just disconnect them instead, not only for consistency, but also it would be less work.
Which pin do you want to disconnect? You cannot disconnect the "Diffuse" pin, because a material MUST have a diffuse color.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am

Zay Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am
Smoothness is gone on objects when combining a displacement map and a normal map.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:01 am

face_off Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:01 am
Smoothness is gone on objects when combining a displacement map and a normal map.
Sounds more like an Octane issue than a plugin issue. Are you able to provide a sample scene will illustrates this pls, and I will escalate it if needed.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 am

Zay Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 am
face_off wrote:Sounds more like an Octane issue than a plugin issue. Are you able to provide a sample scene will illustrates this pls, and I will escalate it if needed.

Paul

I have mailed you the orbx scene.

Another thing is that black on a displacement map shouldn't be able to move. But it does and on figures you can see a black line or a tear in the seams on material borders when using displacement maps.

I made a test scene with a plane that has 2 materials and one of them uses a displacement map. You can clearly see how the black part is breaking the mesh when using the displacement map. The black part shouldn't move at all.
tearSeams.JPG
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samhal » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 pm

samhal Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 pm
Zay wrote:
face_off wrote:Sounds more like an Octane issue than a plugin issue. Are you able to provide a sample scene will illustrates this pls, and I will escalate it if needed.

Paul

I have mailed you the orbx scene.

Another thing is that black on a displacement map shouldn't be able to move. But it does and on figures you can see a black line or a tear in the seams on material borders when using displacement maps.

I made a test scene with a plane that has 2 materials and one of them uses a displacement map. You can clearly see how the black part is breaking the mesh when using the displacement map. The black part shouldn't move at all.
tearSeams.JPG

I've noticed this as well. When not really careful, it's easy to 'break' the seam on textures (ie V4) when using displacement. The only counter I've come up with is to manage the displacement across all the material zones which is something I'd rather not have to do if I just want more localized displacement. Blood veins come to mind.
i7 6800K (6 core), 24 GB, GTX 1080 8gb, Titan X 12gb
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ch0pper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 pm

ch0pper Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 pm
got this error message after adding SUBD level 1 to a mesh

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\SetupForm.py", line 594, in EventOpenViewport
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\UiManager.py", line 5139, in ShowViewportForm
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\RenderManager.py", line 336, in StartRender
WindowsError: exception: access violation reading 0x00000000000000BC
W7 64 bit |I7-3970X | GTX 780 X2(6GB) GTX 780TI X2 | 64 GB DDR3 RAM
Real Skin & real hair for Poser / DAZ Studio OctaneRender/iray - coming soon
ch0pper
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 pm

face_off Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 pm
got this error message after adding SUBD level 1 to a mesh
This has been reported to Otoy previously, and it is caused by the structure of the mesh you are subdividing, and it results in the OpenSubDiv library crashing (which is external to the Octane library). At this stage there is no solution or workaround - other than to NOT subdivide that mesh - sorry.

I've noticed this as well. When not really careful, it's easy to 'break' the seam on textures (ie V4) when using displacement. The only counter I've come up with is to manage the displacement across all the material zones which is something I'd rather not have to do if I just want more localized displacement. Blood veins come to mind.
I have not been able to successfully add displacement maps to Poser figure meshes in the past (on Firefly), because the poser joint control morph bend the vertices that of on the edge of the body parts differently, so you end of with seams. You are seeing this in Octane too. The solution is to merge all the skin materials into one for that figure (and merge the diffuse, bump, etc texturemaps too into quadrants). I have done this for V4 and Antonia, and it works well - but is not easy!

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 pm

face_off Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Zay, this is a general Octane issue, so may I suggest packaging a sample in ORBX format and submitting to Otoy in the Octane Standalone 2.0.x thread.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RGUS » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 pm

RGUS Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 pm
face_off wrote:
Duh... first thing was to use 0.0 ... Nope... 1.5 worked fine... check the forums for that version... you and I Paul have had this discussion before... it was you who suggested then that 'ray' should be set to 0.00001... and yes... you are right... a good idea as a workflow not to have the hair intersected with the head.
If this is an issue you want Otoy to investigate, install the latest 1.5 version of the plugin, open the Viewport (of the above head portrait scene showing the artifacts), save to ORBX. Then install the 2.0 plugin and do the same. Send both scenes to [email protected] with a summary of the issue (ie. artifacts showing in 2.0 but not 1.5), and then Otoy can investigate why ray epsilon at 0 is not working on 2.0 as it does with 1.5.

Paul

Fixed the problem... went back to version 1.54.0.32 of the plugin and the problem goes away.
Waiting for Otoy to respond was taking far to long and maybe it's just my installation of the plugin... this version of the plugin wasthe last to fix the problems, newer version create it.
Thanks for your help Paul.
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 pm

face_off Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 pm
Fixed the problem... went back to version 1.54.0.32 of the plugin and the problem goes away.
Waiting for Otoy to respond was taking far to long and maybe it's just my installation of the plugin... this version of the plugin wasthe last to fix the problems, newer version create it.
Thanks for your help Paul.
Did you report it to Otoy? I couldn't see any msg in the forums about it. Does Poser plugin 1.55.0.33 exhibit the problem too?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser