Titan vs 2x670's

Forums: Titan vs 2x670's
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Titan vs 2x670's

Postby Zay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am

Zay Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am
As I understand it the GTX6xx and GTX7xx cards can handle more texture slots than Octane is offering. The texture limitation is software limited to make GTX5xx cards work with the current cuda version. So you might wanna hold off buying a GTX8xx as it will not matter until Octane drop support for GTX5xx cards and compile Octane with a newer cuda version that will open up more texture slots.
Atleast that's what I understand when reading the developers posts in this forum. But please do correct me if I'm wrong :)
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 am

TRRazor Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 am
Just found this going through the official FAQ on the Homepage *duh*:

"The cards can be different models, allowing GPUs from two completely different architectures to be used in a machine with multiple PCI-E slots (such as a GTX 560 in the primary slot and a GTX 780 in the "
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby voon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 pm

voon Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 pm
Just consider that if you're just going for Octane or Games, Titans make no sense at all. They're only advantage over "gaming" cards is the DualPrecision performance, which Octane doesn't use. And before, the 6 GB VRAM for very large scenes, but that is going to be less of an advantage with 4/8 GB cards coming out in the next months.
voon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:10 pm

wimvdb Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:10 pm
For now the Titan is the only card available with 6GB, that is why I bought them
And yes, there will probably better hardware in 6 months time, but that is always going to be the case - no matter what card you buy
Once you do large scenes you will see the benefit of the 6GB. If you don't do large scenes, there is no need for it
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm

glimpse Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm
voon wrote:Just consider that if you're just going for Octane or Games, Titans make no sense at all. They're only advantage over "gaming" cards is the DualPrecision performance,..

bit of a misleading points here, Voon.

First of all Titan is second fastest (single GPU) CUDA card from Nvidia GTX line, coming just after GTX780Ti & it has biggest amount of Vram (unless You want to buy 12GB pro card)..-so only from these facts alone it has it's value & for SOME it's The Only Option.

Now if You don't need a sport car (SUV, cargo car, whatever You choose), because You have almost no driving skills and You don't like sports (or you don't have any other specific needs), doesn't mean You can say that sport cars (or other type, let's say vans, huge lories..) 'make no sense at all'. It make no sence at all for You - & that's Your opinion..it's not a fact! =)

For those who can use, who know why they are buying..the only thing You need to provide is information: and then they do their choise on their own 'cos their needs & budget might be different..& they might need that expensive sport car, a big van or even a mining truck - it's their choise.

back to the Titan - this card is gaming card it's in GTX line, it not profesional card..it doesn't have ECC..and dual point performance is cropped compared to Teslas and Quadros. In games GTX makes a lot of sence..but not for those who play at 1080 old titles..- there's too much written on this topic.

Cheers
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ch0pper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:02 pm

ch0pper Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:02 pm
There's also some other points and I like to point out

Yes it's nice to have a six Meg card or 12.

I see the excuse that everybody seems to use at the moment because they need to do big scenes

There's a very simple way around this. I been doing for some time myself

Basically get all of the scene within poser. And simply render it with layers okay this is a little bit more awkward

Remove some of the content or hide some of the content. On poser and re-render it in separate stages

In theory because you are rendering smaller scenes it will render faster rather than one gigantic scene

But you can still achieve this with a three Meg card.

Again it's all down to money preference and time. This is the only reason I have not gone for six Meg card at the moment in time
W7 64 bit |I7-3970X | GTX 780 X2(6GB) GTX 780TI X2 | 64 GB DDR3 RAM
Real Skin & real hair for Poser / DAZ Studio OctaneRender/iray - coming soon
ch0pper
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Witpapier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 am

Witpapier Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 am
ch0pper wrote:There's also some other points and I like to point out

Yes it's nice to have a six Meg card or 12.

I see the excuse that everybody seems to use at the moment because they need to do big scenes

There's a very simple way around this. I been doing for some time myself

Basically get all of the scene within poser. And simply render it with layers okay this is a little bit more awkward

Remove some of the content or hide some of the content. On poser and re-render it in separate stages

In theory because you are rendering smaller scenes it will render faster rather than one gigantic scene

But you can still achieve this with a three Meg card.

Again it's all down to money preference and time. This is the only reason I have not gone for six Meg card at the moment in time

Well Chopper... i can only imagine the speeds you are running at with those 780s... :) its a pity they dont bring out 4 gig versions of the higher end cards as they love to do with the x70 series cards. I do more simple pinup scenes, and i rarely run more than 1.2 gig of vram... two characters does push the limits of my 2 gigs.... but you have a great plan going there.
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby voon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 am

voon Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 am
glimpse wrote:Now if You don't need a sport car (SUV, cargo car, whatever You choose), because You have almost no driving skills and You don't like sports (or you don't have any other specific needs), doesn't mean You can say that sport cars (or other type, let's say vans, huge lories..) 'make no sense at all'. It make no sence at all for You - & that's Your opinion..it's not a fact! =)

My point was with regards to the 780ti: it makes no sense at all to pay much more for less power. UNLESS you absolutly require the 6 GB.
voon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm

TRRazor Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm
its a pity they dont bring out 4 gig versions of the higher end cards as they love to do with the x70 series cards

@ Whitpapier, I'm currently running on a GTX 760 that has 4GB of RAM and so far I'm extremely satisfied with the provided performance.
I don't know about your budget but you can currently grab those cards for as low as 250 €. Might as well get 2 in SLI and that already would kick like a mule.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Poser