Whats the correct way to use HDRi sIBL files?

Forums: Whats the correct way to use HDRi sIBL files?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Whats the correct way to use HDRi sIBL files?

Postby samhal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm

samhal Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm
There's similar topic in the main forums (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37597) but geared towards the standalone.

Basically, each sIBL "package" contains 3 images: a background JPG, an HDR file called Ref(lection), and an HDR file called Env(ironment)

The background and environment (lighting) files are easy enough, but is there a place for the reflection image in the plugin? Is it even needed?

Thanks
i7 6800K (6 core), 24 GB, GTX 1080 8gb, Titan X 12gb
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Whats the correct way to use HDRi sIBL files?

Postby voon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm

voon Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm
Good question I'd light to know the answer to as well. For the moment, recalling from my head, I go to the world texture, add just an ordinary texture node (or was it texture emission? Probably, given a backgroiund is just a light source in its entirety to various degrees) and add the background picture of the sIBL package, which already gives the 360° all around background. The other two images in such packages seem to deal with the strongly illuminated areas of the background, so I add another texture node, add the env or so image and use that node to control the intensity of the other (the HDR files can be loaded into image texture nodes).

It'd be nice to get a more knowledgeful answer to this, though.

I guess people with LUA scripting experience can write a sIBL import script or so.
voon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:24 pm

face_off Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:24 pm
This was asked earlier by another Poser user, and I had a look at the sIBL package and provided a response (which I cannot find now). But in summary, as Rikk said, Octane only needs one map - so use the Ref map if you want high quality reflections, or just the Env map if you want the light but no reflections.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby samhal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 pm

samhal Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 pm
Cool. Thanks all! :D
i7 6800K (6 core), 24 GB, GTX 1080 8gb, Titan X 12gb
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser