Issues with Normals

Forums: Issues with Normals
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Issues with Normals

Postby dysfunctional » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 am

dysfunctional Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 am
Guys, I am at my wit's end. I've been using the Octane plugin for months now, and have never seen this problem before. Please see the below images:

After having trouble with normals rendering strangely in Octane with a more complicated prop modeled in Maya 2011, I decided to take a step back and document the issue in hopes that someone who models in Maya, exports as .obj, and imports said .obj into Poser Pro 2014 for rendering via the Octane plugin can help.

As you can see from the image sequence, there is no reason this should be happening. Both the face and vertex normals point in the right direction. Furthermore, Poser interprets the normals correct, and from just the Poser preview window's shading you can see the normals are fine. Indeed, in the Poser render, there is no issue. Also, in the Maya preview window, with backface culling on, I can see that all normals for the walls of this room face inward. So why are the normals not rendering correctly in Octane?

I was using the stable version of the Octane plugin, but switched to the newest test version to see if that would solve the issue, but no luck. I'm looking for quick answers, as I need to finish this project soon.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 3.6 GHz Quad Core, 32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (display card)
Currently Running Poser Octane Plugin Version: 2.5.23
dysfunctional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Issues with Normals

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:10 am

face_off Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:10 am
I have had a look at the obj prop concerned, and the normals are corrupted in Firefly & the OpenGL viewport too, so Poser has the wrong normals for the prop - so it's most likely a Maya/modelling issue.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser