Normal maps

Forums: Normal maps
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Normal maps

Postby face_off » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:09 pm

face_off Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:09 pm
If they are outputting grayscale, then they are bump maps. Normal maps will be color.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby samhal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 pm

samhal Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 pm
A little more 'research' and I found this tidbit for those interested (or didn't know):

Bump/normal maps add extra lighting detail that doesn't exist in geometry. The main difference between the two is the input data (texture).

Normal mapping takes a RGB texture, that makes up normals (ie, r=x, g=y, b=z), and is accessed directly by the pixel shader.

Bumpmapping takes a grey scale image, or 'Height Map', and the pixel shader computes the normals from that to calculate lighting.

The idea is pretty much the same, just shifting where the processing is getting done.
Normal mapping preprocesses the data, usually making the output quicker, but uses more data to store the normal map (rgb), hence more memory requirements. Bump mapping is post processing, usually slower to output, but saves space storing bump maps.

This explains why I saw zero difference between the two in Octane, all things being equal...meaning they were created at the same level of strength and detail.

Paul, is there any way to increase the maximum from "1" in effect to exaggerate the effect of the maps rather than modifying existing maps? Sometimes "1" just doesn't seem enough.

Thanks!
Sam
i7 6800K (6 core), 24 GB, GTX 1080 8gb, Titan X 12gb
samhal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 pm

face_off Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 pm
is there any way to increase the maximum from "1" in effect to exaggerate the effect of the maps rather than modifying existing maps? Sometimes "1" just doesn't seem enough.

Changing the alpha can sometimes help - but generally you need max maximum color range in the map to get maximum range in the render. Octane will ignore anything in the bump if you have something plugged into the normal.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby xxdanbrowne » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:26 am

xxdanbrowne Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:26 am
For what it's worth my own 2c is this:

In my experience normal maps are often used for the larger scale macro detail whereas bump maps are used for the finer level of detail.
xxdanbrowne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Poser