Posible bug or workflow?

Forums: Posible bug or workflow?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Posible bug or workflow?

Postby bpzen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 pm

bpzen Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 pm
Hi Paul,

Can you tell me if this is working as it should.

When I have a V4 loaded in Octane, set up ready to render etc.... Then I download one of the many SSS Skin set ups on these forums to try this is what I am doing.

1. Import All Materials for This Figure or Prop
1a - If you use the Use Imported image maps my V4 goes black as I do not have the image maps in the locations etc... that the skin set up / material were saved as.

1b - If I select Retain the existing image maps I lose a lot of settings, like Bump power goes back to default, gama goes back to default etc...

Is there a way to import the new skin set up and use my image existing maps (Retain) and have all settings stay as they are configured in the imported set up? Not all settigns go back to default it seems sub nodes do?

thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Win 7 64bit, Titan 6 Gig and GTX770 4Gig, Intel 3.75GHZ, 24Gig RAM, Poser 2014 patched
bpzen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Posible bug or workflow?

Postby Witpapier » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Witpapier Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm
Well put Zen, this is exactly my issue too.
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Witpapier » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Witpapier Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm
When I create my materials I set the specific values on everything, the bump the specular the gamma ... but as you said, with the import they are all reverted back to default and If you import with using imported image maps everything is as it was when exported. Which replaces the existing texture. An extra window that would have enabled you to set these different settings for all the body materials and save it as a preset. Almost like a more simplified way with all the details concerning these basic powers of bump and spec and gamma strengths ect,like messing with the default settings in octanedefaults.py but from the octane render window.
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Erick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Erick Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm
Since I often play around with different skin texture sets, but using the same figure, I run into the same problem.
It would be great, if there'd be an option to either import the bump values, as they were saved/exported with the certain texture set, or to use ones own bump value, which you can already address in the OctaneDefaults.py

... just the small things of an otherwise amazing piece of software :D
Erick
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ch0pper » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm

ch0pper Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm
Yes, I've noticed this as well. I do believe it to be a bug.

Or is it a feature?
W7 64 bit |I7-3970X | GTX 780 X2(6GB) GTX 780TI X2 | 64 GB DDR3 RAM
Real Skin & real hair for Poser / DAZ Studio OctaneRender/iray - coming soon
ch0pper
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm

face_off Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm
1a - If you use the Use Imported image maps my V4 goes black as I do not have the image maps in the locations etc... that the skin set up / material were saved as.
If you move the image maps, then the saved POC file reference to them will be lost. Are you moving the image maps?

1b - If I select Retain the existing image maps I lose a lot of settings, like Bump power goes back to default, gama goes back to default etc...

Wim has reported this to me before. I'll need to re-look at it to determine if it was a bug or intended.

Octane API 1.17 will be available soon, so I'll look at 1b when releasing that update.

An extra window that would have enabled you to set these different settings for all the body materials and save it as a preset. Almost like a more simplified way with all the details concerning these basic powers of bump and spec and gamma strengths ect,like messing with the default settings in octanedefaults.py but from the octane render window.

"Paste Node to All Skin Materials" is intended to do this. Set the material up once, and copy it to all skin materials in one go. Admittedly, if you have a bump map in to parts of material mix, you have to change the bump amount in 2 places.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 am

face_off Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 am
When I create my materials I set the specific values on everything, the bump the specular the gamma ... but as you said, with the import they are all reverted back to default

I have looked into this in more detail, and it seems to me to be working as intended (that's not to say the intended workflow shouldn't change....)

Paste/Import REPLACING texturemaps = entire node structure is pasted/imported and replaces the existing node structure, including all texturemap "image", "floatimage" and "alphaimage" node info.

Paste/Import RETAINING texturemaps = nodes structure is pasted/imported, EXCEPT for the "image", "alphaimage" and "floatimage" nodes (which are the filename, power, gamma, scale and invert) which remain unchanged. They are not being reset to default - they simply remain as they where prior to the import/paste.

In early versions of the plugin, the power, gamma, scale and invert were NOT retained - only the texturemap filename were retained, and this was reported as a bug, so it fixed it so power, gamma and invert were also retained.

So based on the above, I believe import/paste RETAINING texturemaps is working as intended. And power, scale and gamma belong to an image file - so to me I think this is the best workflow. If you are not happy with the default bump map power, simply change it in the OctaneDefault.py file.

Hope that all makes sense and answers your questions. If you think the plugin is not working as intended (as described above), pls post a set of screenshots showing your workflow and where is it failing.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser