OctaneRender® for Poser beta WIN - build 1.16a [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta WIN - build 1.16a [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta WIN - build 1.16a [TEST]

Postby Iefke » Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 pm

Iefke Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 pm
face_off wrote:
Weird problem in Poser2014 Pro:
Have Octane rendering in the viewport.
Change the material node type from a material with texture images in it from ex. glossy to diffuse
This crashes Poser with an error on wxmsw291u_core_vc_custom.dll (2 times in a row, then Poser closes)

This happens with both versions 1.14a and 1.16a
It does not happen when the material nodes are changed without the render window open.
It does not happen with materials with just RGB values.
It is independent from the scene, any object, even the simplest primitive, with a texture provokes the crash.
This does not happen wit Poser2012 Pro (on the same machine).

This looks like your Poser Pro 2014 python installation is corrupted. wxmsw291u_core_vc_custom.dll is a PoserPython file. I suggest re-installing Poser Pro 2014.

Paul

After further investigation i found that Poser 2012 has the same problem with the versions 1.14 and 1.16

However i could nail the problem down to the video driver for the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip.
Earlier i installed the latest version (9.18.10.3071) from Intel which apparently is the source of this problem. I now reverted back to the old driver version which came with the motherboard or Windows 8 (i forgot which of the two), and now everything (version 1.16a5 btw) runs smoothly!

This Intel 4000 doesn't seem to match well with Octane.
However the strange fact remains that version 1.13 with Poser 2012 gave no problems.
I guess it must be a OpenGL thing ...

Anyway, thanks for your support Paul!

Yvo
Win8 64bit, GTX680, i7, 16G RAM,
Iefke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 am

face_off Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 am
It seems to me, images from the LiveDB are stored in memory and only as long as you don't close Poser. I scanned all my hard drives completely, but couldn't find the requested images. no luck with selecting from within the plugin either.

Uwe - I have investigated this - and it's due to special characters being in your Poser Preferences path. When there are no special characters in a path/filename then the filename is treated the same in Windows, python and Octane. However when there is a special character in the director or filename, then python will store the path/filename in Unicode format, Octane expects UTF-8 format, and Windows needs ASCII. So I am in the process of rectifying this - it will be in the next version.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 pm

face_off Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 pm
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread. Pls download and install if needed (based on the notes below).

1.16a6
- Fixed an issue which caused Poser to crash on Win 8 when changing node types
- Fixed an issue where LiveDB materials were not being saved if there were special characters in your Windows username
- Added a "Ratio" combobox to the Viewport so you can scale down the rendering image on the screen

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby KleanZlate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 am

KleanZlate Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 am
Is there any news on when a patch will be out that makes rendering PP2014's SubD in Octane possible?
Windows 8 64bit, Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz x2, 10GB RAM, GTX 660 Ti 2GB, Poser Pro 2012 SR 3.1
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 am

face_off Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 am
Is there any news on when a patch will be out that makes rendering PP2014's SubD in Octane possible?

At a guess, I would say this change would need to be done in conjunction with making the softbody deformations available to PoserPython. So it's probably quite a big change. Also, when it /is/ done, if you subd a mesh, it will take substantially longer to load into Octane (since there will be 4 times as making vertices and polygons for each level of subdivision). It will be roughly the same load times as Genesis (each subd 1 and 2). I will probably stop the plugin from rendering anything higher than subd 2, since it will be millions of polygons.

Pauil
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby KleanZlate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 am

KleanZlate Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 am
face_off wrote:

At a guess, I would say this change would need to be done in conjunction with making the softbody deformations available to PoserPython. So it's probably quite a big change. Also, when it /is/ done, if you subd a mesh, it will take substantially longer to load into Octane (since there will be 4 times as making vertices and polygons for each level of subdivision). It will be roughly the same load times as Genesis (each subd 1 and 2). I will probably stop the plugin from rendering anything higher than subd 2, since it will be millions of polygons.

Pauil

Ok. Thanks for the updates!
Windows 8 64bit, Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz x2, 10GB RAM, GTX 660 Ti 2GB, Poser Pro 2012 SR 3.1
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 am

face_off Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 am
That would be great. But the installer does overwrite a custom made OctaneDefaults.py

Zay - I have tested this on the lastest version of the installer (1.16a6) and it did not overwrite my OctaneDefaults.py file. So I /think/ this issue is fixed.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 am

Zay Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 am
face_off wrote:Zay - I have tested this on the lastest version of the installer (1.16a6) and it did not overwrite my OctaneDefaults.py file. So I /think/ this issue is fixed.

Paul

Yes, that seems to be fixed now. Also had a play with instancing. No errors so far. Great!
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Robynsveil » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:03 am

Robynsveil Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:03 am
I don't recall whether this has been discussed or addressed :oops: , but if -- with the plugin up and preview window active -- I select a camera (say: the posing camera) that is not parented to the Universe, I get an error message that i can't render from that camera. Fair enough... however, I don't intend to render from it, just pose my figure. Then, the Python dialogue box comes up with a bunch of traceback info. The message is a good one to have pop up, once... but it seems that perhaps you might want to include some error trapping code to manage what happens subsequently, maybe?
Just an idea... overall, an AMAZING and very, very addictive add-on to Poser, Paul! :) I am thoroughly impressed and rapt with it!
Robynsveil
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 am

face_off Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 am
I get an error message that i can't render from that camera. Fair enough... however, I don't intend to render from it, just pose my figure. Then, the Python dialogue box comes up with a bunch of traceback info. The message is a good one to have pop up, once... but it seems that perhaps you might want to include some error trapping code to manage what happens subsequently, maybe?

I will fix the python exceptions. It's a good point about just needed to pose from the camera but not render from it. Let me see what can be done.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser