strange CAMERA problem

Forums: strange CAMERA problem
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

strange CAMERA problem

Postby gold » Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 am

gold Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 am
Hi,

everything was going pretty good on the new beta. Now just after I set everything up for a RENDER it started to render what looks like a super close up -- ALL THE SAME FRAME.

Ok I think I figured it out - the camera somehow shifted and was outside the model, staring cu at the wall. I'm sure most people have seen this 3d problem. But WHAT did I hit to shift it -- right at render time? I'm now fooling with the SCALE control, which showed me the problem. but what default should scale be on?

UPDATE : still having problems. The scale control i think is sticking now, and causing frames to stick, on a part of the zoom, rather than the smooth zoom I programmed.

thanks

[[ PS ---While I remember it, can the max samples please default to something small like 22? I keep re-setting it to that to set up a scene. the huge default number always hangs everything. thanks!]]

UPDATE2: pressing the little green eyeball doesnt fix this problem,
Poser view shows the scene I want { main camera}
Octane viewport seems to show behind the wall again.

UPDATE3: It seems like the octane camera would be described as physically about 50 feet BEHIND
the poser camera, if that makes sense. { in my scene units}. Is it possible to marry them?
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: strange CAMERA problem

Postby face_off » Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 am

face_off Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 am
Hi Gold - would it be possible to post a screenshot pls? And include the Poser camera parameter dials in the screenshot pls.

You can change the default maxsample in the OctaneDefaults.py file - it's the DEFAULT_MAXSAMPLES parameter.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gold » Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

gold Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm
Hi Gold - would it be possible to post a screenshot pls? And include the Poser camera parameter dials in the screenshot pls.

Yes, screen shot attached. This is a different set up. Worse, because Everything looked fine for the animation setup, but after it got going these render problems started appearing. { this is about frame 25 of 90 frame animation . Frames 25 -50 approx, were bad. }

You can change the default maxsample in the OctaneDefaults.py file - it's the DEFAULT_MAXSAMPLES parameter.

.Good to know. thank you.
Attachments
octane problem MAIL 2.jpg
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm

face_off Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm
Thanks for the screenshot.

In Poser, the camera lens is approx 1m behind the actual camera coordinates, and any geometry in between the camera coordinates and the lens is ignored. So in effect, there is a blind-spot between 0 and 1m from the camera lens.

To represent this in Octane, the plugin transforms the camera 1m "back" from it's current Poser location - that puts the lens positions at the same points in space. However because the Octane camera coordinates are behind the Poser camera coordinates, sometime geometry will get in the way of the camera and the subject you are rendering. I think that's whats happening here. I can fix this by adjusting the Octane "nearClipDepth" - make it bigger to ignore geometry further out from the Octane camera.

Hope that explanation isn't too confusing.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gold » Sat May 04, 2013 9:10 pm

gold Sat May 04, 2013 9:10 pm
face_off wrote:Thanks for the screenshot.

In Poser, the camera lens is approx 1m behind the actual camera coordinates, and any geometry in between the camera coordinates and the lens is ignored. So in effect, there is a blind-spot between 0 and 1m from the camera lens.

To represent this in Octane, the plugin transforms the camera 1m "back" from it's current Poser location - that puts the lens positions at the same points in space. However because the Octane camera coordinates are behind the Poser camera coordinates, sometime geometry will get in the way of the camera and the subject you are rendering. I think that's whats happening here. I can fix this by adjusting the Octane "nearClipDepth" - make it bigger to ignore geometry further out from the Octane camera.

Hope that explanation isn't too confusing.

Paul

thanks Paul. Yes i think I understand. That fix sounds great! {as my workflow is unhappily reduced to zero now} Really looking forward to it.
thanks for fast reply, also.
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat May 04, 2013 9:17 pm

face_off Sat May 04, 2013 9:17 pm
Actually, you probably need to REDUCE the nearClipDepth rather than increase it - since it looks too high. Anything - try adjusting that slider and see the outcome :-)
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gold » Sat May 04, 2013 9:34 pm

gold Sat May 04, 2013 9:34 pm
face_off wrote:Actually, you probably need to REDUCE the nearClipDepth rather than increase it - since it looks too high. Anything - try adjusting that slider and see the outcome :-)

What? Wait a sec, I'm getting worried now. Is this a permanent fix you're planning to perform?
I just tested it, and this looks impossible for a user to perform, as is.

I just tried that near clip depth. Yes it worked, barely. But the control is extremely hard to adjust, hard to
calibrate, and with a razor thin room for error. But worse, my testing shows an animation would have to have multiple keyframed positions. Time consuming, iffy, and frustrating at best.

Please correct me, that you can do a permanent fix here.

thanks
gold
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat May 04, 2013 10:25 pm

face_off Sat May 04, 2013 10:25 pm
In this case it's the Poser camera which has some irregularities, not Octane or the plugin. In essence, the Poser camera is looking though walls. So if you are animating camera movement inside an enclosed area, Poser is going to look through some walls that Octane will not. It is only Poser "Revolving" camera that do this - "Dolly" cameras do not. So using a dolly camera will help, although the Octane Viewport camera matching is not as precise with Dolly cameras as it is with Revolving cameras.

There is another trick you can do - you can adjust the Poser camera "Focal" slider, so that the Octane field of view "fov" widens. That in effect means you can take your Poser camera closer to the subject, so fewer walls will get in the way.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby KleanZlate » Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 pm

KleanZlate Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 pm
Just a thought here, but have you tried rendering the view in Poser? If the walls are made of one sided geometry the Poser camera will see through it in preview but not in a render. If the wall blocks the view in a render the camera is behind it.
Windows 8 64bit, Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz x2, 10GB RAM, GTX 660 Ti 2GB, Poser Pro 2012 SR 3.1
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gold » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 am

gold Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 am
ok thanks Paul,

I will try and adapt to it.

@KleanZlate

thanks will check that out.
gold
Licensed Customer